“Decent place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Orchids at Palm Court Pkg
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Minneapolis
“Decent place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Not the cleanest, largest or most modern rooms, but not bad. Near the convention center. Service was decent. Food was not very adventurous or tasty. Elevators are small and exceedingly slow. Meeting rooms are comfy, but fairly small.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
October 5, 2012

MNWanderers

Dear MNWanderers:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati.

When time permits, I would be happy to review your comments with you personally. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401.

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

Middletown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've stayed here before (a year ago in fact) and have to say that I think this hotel is beautiful.

We had a much larger room than the last visit and I thought it was very clean and nicely decorated. After we checked into the room, someone from housekeeping came by and asked if we needed anything and if everything was ok. I thought that was a nice touch.

Check in is at 3:00 and we were attending a convention at the Duke Energy Center. We were there all morning and had a lecture to attend at 4:00. We went to the hotel around 3:15 but were told our room was not ready and they would call us. We checked our bags with the concierge...nicest people ever by the way....and went out for a walk. I told the guy at check in that we were to be back at the convention center at 4 and we were hoping to get checked in to freshen up some before that. Anyway, about 15 minutes later I called the front desk and asked a woman who answered if the room was ready and she said it was. So, back we went, got checked in, bags were delivered in 5 minutes. We freshened up and headed back to the convention center. Around 4:00 I received a call from the guy who checked us in saying the room was ready. Really? I've already checked in and left 15 minutes ago.....

The hotel is close to everything and even has a skywalk to the convention center although I don't know that I'd recommend staying here for that reason. They close part of the skywalk off at night and you can't get through. Most of the shops that were at the Carew Tower Shopping next door are closed and the ones that are supposed to be open never seemed to be opened. The food court in the shopping tower is gross so don't bother. We were carrying a lot of stuff around and hoped the skywalk would ease the pain of using stairs, etc. but not so.

We didn't do anything but stay there, ate other places, etc. It was packed on the weekend, lots going on but we never had an issue getting an elevator, etc. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful and like I said, the hotel is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Recently stayed at this property and was very impressed. I was checked in and advised of a wonderful upgrade do to my Diamond Status. I had reached out to the management team to inquire about the upgrades at the hotel and was surprised to find they put be in a recently updated room. I had a living room, bedroom and two bathrooms. I was also impressed that they had installed two flat screen televisions along with a fridge and safe. Bravo to the upgrades! It makes this hotel all the more impressive. Breakfast at the lounge on the 16th floor was awesome. One of the best continental breakfast I have had at a Hilton (I stay about 75 nights a year). Bravo to the management and staff, this is truly a gem!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'm an everyday business traveler and found many aspects of this stay to be less than satisfactory. I'm fairly confident that the room I was provided was the smallest room I've stayed in. The rooms are also quite outdated, as the bathroom and closets are also small and inconveniently styled. The toilet has a kind of "gas station style" to it, not anything like you'd have in a home or hotel room. One of the telephones was also out of order.

I paid to have dry cleaning completed while on-site, and for some reason the bags were not brought back as advertised....I had to pick them up myself from the valet.

The worst part about the room was definitley the carpet....it had a very sticky feel to it. I've only experienced that in one other room (Holiday Inn, Terre Haute, IN). You should never expect that disgusting feeling in a name brand hotel located in a large city. I was repulsed to walk around in the room.

There were a few good items to note: The hotel provides access to a full gym in the lower level, free of charge. The front desk staff also seemed relatively friendly. The common areas of the hotel are well decorated and the lobby/restaurant have a good atmosphere at night.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank bretts11
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
October 4, 2012

Bretts11

Dear Bretts11:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor survey for your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Thank you too for providing your feedback regarding your stay. I would be happy to speak with you personally in regards to your comments. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401 to do so.

We apologize for the concern that our guest room bathroom commode caused. It is period correct for the hotel. We will certainly consider your feedback as we consider improvements to the hotel for the future. We are in the process of installing a new case good piece with refrigerator and safe along with an LG flat screen television. This furniture has made the small number of rooms we have remaining in our inventory of the size you described, more comfortable. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

Thank you too for sharing your concerns regarding our laundry service. We normally deliver laundry back to the guest rooms between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Again, if you'd like to contact me, I'll be glad to review the matter in greater detail.

And finally, thank you for your "sticky carpet" comment. Unfortunately, the metering device for our air freshening process inadvertently went from 10% to 100%. This resulted in a much higher concentration of product being delivered to the carpet and resulted in the condition you have described. We have addressed this through a cleaning process and will continue to do so.

Thank you again and please feel free to contact me personally when your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.

Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We got this hotel by chance through Priceline "name your own price". How fortunate for us! I am interested in design and architecture so the Art Deco features and original finishes including Rookwood pottery were a delight. Dont miss the small guide book near the entry to the restaurant. It takes you through a "walking tour" of the hotel and explains key design elements along with the history of the hotel. Be sure to see the " Hall of Mirrors", the "Continental Room" and the Palm Court restaurant as areas of design interest.
The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable.
Staff were about the most friendly I've encountered anywhere. A special thanks to Amber who gave us a room with a view of the river and to Caleb who stopped us on our way out of the hotel to help us with driving directions.
Unfortunately I cannot name own price on Priceline for hotels in Cincinnati as I would want to make sure I got this hotel only.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room. Only downside was noise of rooftop units on other buildings. This loo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during Oktoberfest. The location is excellent. The rooms are older and in need of updating, but it was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms are small. Overall this was a good stay not exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Kytraveltrio
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
September 27, 2012

KYTravelTrio

Dear KYTravelTrio:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to Cincinnati and the Netherland Plaza! We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati for Oktoberfest.

Thank you too for your comments on our guestrooms. We are pleased to know that you found your guestroom to be clean and the beds comfortable. We’ll certainly share this comment with our Housekeeping team. Thank you.

We are in the midst of making a variety of improvements to the guestrooms including a new piece of furniture that incorporates a guestroom safe and refrigerator. We are installing new LG high-definition televisions along with this. We anticipate completing these improvements in the next several weeks. We also look forward to many additional enhancements in the near future.

Thank you and if I may answer additional questions for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed several times at this beautiful old hotel in downtown Cincinnati. The staff is always courteous and helpful, and the rooms are always clean. Any issues that I have had were always resolved quickly. Because it is a historic hotel, be prepared for very small bathrooms!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river (on the back of the hotel) and on the highest floor possible. The v...