“Must stay here once - history!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

You added Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza to your Saves list
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Orchids at Palm Court Pkg
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mechanicsburg, Ohio
“Must stay here once - history!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We arrived on a Saturday, 1 hour before check-in, and had to wait, guess - about 30 minutes - the lobby was thriving - weddings, meetings and etc. The check in staff were very nice, even though they were busy, they kept an eye on us and called us as soon as our room was ready. I just liked sitting in the lobby and relaxing and admiring the beauty of the hotel!! While waiting I found out that the restaurant in the hotel has been in many books and is very well known. We sat at the bar one night for a drink - so lovely - high ceilings and beautiful detailing - you can feel like you are going back in time!!
Must see the hall of mirrors - so cool for everybody, no matter you are 5, 35, or 65 - a divine room to hold events, the marble and carvings are royal. The hotel is great inside and out - great weekend stay. Famous guests include Winston Churchill, Elvis, Bing Crosby.
We checked out the fitness club and pool - a very large pool to be indoors, along with a large
whirlpool tub, sauna, and steam room. only word of caution - do not drink the bottled water in your room, unless you want to pay $3 a bottle!!
This hotel is a great sensory experience - take time to explore it while you are there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed last Saturday night for $89 using Priceline. For this price it is certainly five stars. Not sure it is for the advertised price of $159. The hotel is and rooms are clean and the location is great. Rooms and bed are very small. Very similar to a downtown Chicago room. It's fine for one person, and barely acceptable for a couple for one night. I am used to a king size bed so it was difficult to sleep comfortably. Young couples would probably be fine.

You will like the location here and the staff was certainly very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My daughter was scheduled for surgery at the Shriner's Hospital in Cincinnati. I made a reservation at the Hilton and asked for a quiet room as we had to be at the hospital early that next morning.

When I checked in to this beautiful hotel they had, without telling me, upgraded our room to a beautiful Queen suite and included club benefits.

The room was beautiful, the service outstanding, and they even gave us a great suggestion for a rest. (Palamino) that caters to kids.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I just love this place.

When you first get there, you feel like you've stepped back in time. No wifi, the amenities are not the same as you'd expect for such a pricey hotel, and when you get to your high-priced room, it's not quite as swanky as you'd expected.

BUT, the people there, the staff, they are simply wonderful. More on that later.

We were there for 4 days and once I got over the "there is no wifi", I had a surprisingly relaxing time. It helps that I wasn't there for business; nevertheless, the charm of the place grows on you.

I explored the subterranean walkways that lead to the gym with the secret (seemingly) stairways that wound their way back up - not a soul to be seen on these sojourns. I imagined myself one of Enid Blyton's Famous Five or Secret Seven characters about to hit upon an unsolved mystery. Yes, yes, I romanticised the place but its hard not to. The place is just so quaint. The art deco, the Palm Court bar and restaurant - the ever helpful staff - I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I also had another thing happen - I forgot my nightgown at the hotel and only discovered that when I was back home. One call to the hotel and they not only found it, but shipped it back to me. I was charged, but the head of housekeeping went to the extra effort to ship it by US post so that I wouldn't be charged more than $2 rather than taking the convenient route (for him) of simply FedExing it which is what he'd normally do. I was so surprised, shocked even, that someone would do that that I hope he gets a raise for being such a nice nice gentleman.

And that's how everyone is - by the second day, they're greeting you by name and treating you like part of the family. I had a very pleasant stay and lots of good memories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights in August/September for a wedding. This is an amazing hotel in terms of aesthetics. The art deco-ness of everything beat the 'same-same' nature of hotel rooms everywhere. Check-in was easy, the food at the Palm Court bar was good and the location of the hotel was great. Access to the excellent gym and swimming pool was through a gym in the basement. The function facilities, particularly the Hall of Mirrors, were a highlight. As for the room, it felt like staying in an old house with some modern touches - if you were in the 1990s. While there was a notice in our room saying that the hotel was updating the room with flat screen TVs, fridges, room safes and wifi by the end of summer, our stay over the Labour Day weekend showed no sign of that being done. Apart from that, a great stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was in Cincinnati (a location I will be returning to) for a business trip. Imagine my surprise when I checked into my $169 room, paid $24 for parking, and went to turn on my computer and discovered that I would have to pay $9.95 for a cable (not wireless connection).

To be clear, I was not expecting a 5 star experience. But I have not stayed at a US hotel in any 3 star category that did not have free wi fi, a small refrigerator and a flat screen TV (did I mention that it was an old 19-inch tube TV with bad reception???).

There was a placard on the desk, and I quote, "We are implementing improvements this summer and anticipate them being completed by late summer."

When those changes ARE NOT completed, you must compensate your guests. When I called down about the (lack of) wi-fi, I should have been told "You will find a coiled cable on the desk, there will be no charge."

I will not stay here unless I receive a full refund. And I will actively tell fellow business travelers (I know many business travelers with biz in Cinnci) to avoid this property.

I am a Hilton Silver HHonors member, and try and find a Hilton in whatever city I am staying.

They know the amenities are subpar, and should be moving heaven and earth to make this property attractive in the meantime (free parking, free internet connection, a voucher for food or beverage- anything!).

Missed opportunity to capture this repeat traveler.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
September 16, 2012

BCParent

Dear BCParent:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay ini Cincinnati. As an HHonors member, your comments are important to us.

Please accept my apologies that our completion of the installation of wireless Internet service has been delayed. We have re-wired the entire property for both Internet service and high-definition television service. We are presently waiting for ATT, Hilton's preferred Internet service provider, to complete the installation. We hope that this will be completed in the coming weeks. On Tuesday, we will begin installing the new case good pieces, flat screen televisions, guestroom refrigerators and safes. We look forward to the improvements that this service will provide.

With respect to our Internet service, there is complimentary wireless and wired service available in the hotel's lobby. In addition, as an HHonors member, you may utilize the HHonors business center in the lobby. Our prices for internet service as well as our prices are comparable to our full service competitors in this market.

If you would like to review the matter, i would be happy to discuss this with you. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401.

Thank you and I hope to have the chance to speak with you.

Michel A. Sheer
Managing Director
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is difficult to rate. The hotel is a very historic property. The entry, meeting rooms, restaurants are extremely nicely decorated with 1920-30's decor. It's like you could film a movie in the place. I would rate those areas 4+ stars. But my room I would rate about 1.5 stars. The room was extremely small. The closet was exactly that, a small closet with enough hanging room space for one person's clothes for about a four day stay. The bathroom was extremly small, the smallest that I can ever remember in a hotel. Even the tub seemed narrow. The bed was comfortable and the linens, pillows of very good quality. The room was very clean, but old. The staff were very friendly. The hotel is in a great area, a stones throw from Fountain Square. The baseball and football stadiums are within walking distance too. Breakfast was not included and the restaurant price was way over priced for what you get. Walk to First Watch and get a really good breakfast at half the cost there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
September 16, 2012

DesertCreatures

Dear DesertCreatures:

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati.

Thank you too for sharing your concerns regarding the accommodation that you stayed in. if you would like to contact me regarding your reservation, i would be happy to review the matter with you. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401 to do so.

Thank you and I look forward to the opportunity of speaking with you.

Michel A. Sheer
Managing Director

Been to Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza? Share your experiences!