“Nice enough but not great value” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Columbia, South Carolina
“Nice enough but not great value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a perfectly pleasant hotel in a nice location with a good breakfast and excellent staff. Like many of the Holiday Inns I've stayed at recently, their AC is ridiculously loud (I had to turn it off to sleep and I'm not a light sleeper). The main reason for my review is the cost. It was ca. $125 a night to stay there with a AAA discount, and I have a hard time with that for just a one-night stop on a cross-country drive. The La Quinta I stayed at the next day was almost as nice and half the price, and it, too, was in a "major" city. Because of the price and, especially, AC noise, I'd probably look somewhere else in Cincinnati, although it's too bad because otherwise this is a lovely place with very nice and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have sliding glass doors onto grass, which are perfect for folks traveling with d...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear wanderingCalifornian,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is pleasing to know that our location, breakfast and staff service worked suitably for your needs. But, please do accept our sincere apology for the room rate and the noise which the air conditioning unit have caused you. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Middletown, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The staff at this hotel is extraordinarily friendly and accomodating. The complimentary breakfast was plentiful and wonderful. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. The bed was very comfortable and our room was quiet.

On the negative side, it was a bit pricey. Also, the pillows (to include those labled as "firm"), were very soft.

I would probably stay here again if visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
broerik0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Bob B,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review the Holiday Inn Express - Cincinnati West. It was our pleasure to be your home away from home during your recent travels to the area. We are glad you were able to enjoy our hot Express Start Breakfast and your room was to your liking. Thank you also to bring us aware of the softness of our pillows, our Housekeeping Department is reviewing the pillows in each of our rooms to ensure future guests do not experience the same problem.

Ken Broering, General Manager
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you are traveling and need a hotel in this particular area this is the only hotel I saw the whole time I was there. We were there for a tournament and the hotel was full because it was the only place to stay where the tournament was located at Western Bowl. I was not unhappy with the hotel in general but thought for what I got it was a bit expensive. I heard rates were higher because of the demand that weekend.The negative was the TV remote was broke and so they had to fix that, and I could not keep a internet connection. I only needed it for entertainment not business so not a big deal just inconvienent. The breakfast is one of the best ones I have had, actually had hot food. Eggs with cheese, Sausage and gravy. There was enough to choose from. I paid $125.00(includes tax) and if the internet was working properly I might not be as critical, or if there was a iniside pool it would have been better. There is no restaurant or bar but there is a Meijers across the street and a food/bar place called Buckheads that was inexpensive and a great atmoshere (for families as well) if you don't want to travel far. Only because of location would I stay here again for the money. The staff was very friendly and willing to help,which is a big plus and the rooms were clean, beds are comfortable and I slept very well.

Room Tip: There are rooms that connect to others if you are traveling with families that want to socialize. I...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
broerik0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Cateyes C,

Thank you for your review. The Staff and I hope you enjoyed your time here in Cincinnati while attending the Hoinke Bearcat Classic and that we were able to correct the problem with your remote control. I wish we were brought aware of the internet problems you were experiencing so we could troubleshoot and correct the issues. Each of us here at the Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West look forward to serving you again in the future!

Ken Broering, General Manager
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night while on a long road trip home. We had to find a hotel that excepted pets, and this was our choice due to the reviews. It was in a great location and very convenient from the highway. We arrived late in the evening, and the staff who greeted us was very friendly and accomodating. We were recognized as Platinum Members and offered the standard member gift bag. For whatever reason, we were upgraded to the suite, but this was done before we arrived at the hotel...maybe they were full? We weren't complaining, it was very nice, very clean and very spacious. It made for a nice restful night in preparation for another long day's drive :). We left very early in the morning, so we didn't get to try the breakfast. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
broerik0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear LvngOnEdgeofAmer,

Thank you for your post and for being and for being an IHG Rewards Platinum Member. The staff & I are pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West during your recent travels. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations are your feed back is important to us. All of us here look forward to serving you again in the future!

Ken Broering
Sunbury, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My company sent me on a last minute business trip & had not booked a room. I choose this place cause it was close to my destination & glad I did. Very friendly staff & the room was clean & comfortable. Nice breakfast area. If I ever have to travel this way again, this will be my first choice to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
broerik0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West as your last minute find and for providing feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hosting you again if the need arises.

Kindest regards,

Ken Broering
Madison, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I was traveling on vacation through Ohio in route to New York. When I checked in I was not recognized as a GOLD PLUS member which shocked me!!

When I asked about the situation I was told that it is up to the different properties how they treat Gold Plus members. This is the second time this year this has been an issue at check-in. Either make it a minimum recognition so we don't have unfulfilled expectations. Please help...

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
broerik0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear RockyTop1,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience with the Holiday Inn Express Cincinnati West. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this experience to my attention and want to apologize that we did not recognize your IHG Rewards Club Gold Status and to thank you for your patronage.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are important to us. The feedback I receive from our valued guests, like you, enables me to target problem areas and to take necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. It is the hotel's policy to greet and recognize all IHG Rewards Member along with their status at check in. I will be having a meeting with the Guest Services Staff and will be utilizing this this review as a training opportunity to ensure all Guest Services Representatives are properly greeting all IHG Rewards Members.

Once again, I appreciate you taking time to share your comments with me and want to thank you for being an IHG Rewards Gold Member. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and hope you will to continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future needs.

Sincerely

Kenneth Broering
Melbourne - Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel very good, good sized rooms, clean, very helpful check inn staff and very adequate breakfast, great location. Enjoyable stay - thank you and would definitely use it again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013