“Exceptional Service, but Details Lacking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Cincinnati

You added Hyatt Regency Cincinnati to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Cincinnati
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Exceptional Service, but Details Lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you are following my reviews for early 2014, you know that I am currently an SPG member, and that I am spending the first few months of this year gaining status in the Hilton and Hyatt brands in order to make a decision on which program to continue with as my 'home brand' moving forward. This was my 2nd or 3rd Hyatt stay this year, and is my favourite so far (I'm currently writing this from one in Jacksonville, FL).

When I arrived at my room (1:30/2am due to a late flight), the front desk, person, Micky, was incredibly helpful and pleasant in getting me into my room. In fact, I will say that throughout this stay, the front desk staff and the restaurant staff were exemplary. I feel badly about the details that are seemingly overlooked in ALL Hyatt's at this point! They couldn't have done much better of a job in handling what occurred, as you will see..

I entered my room, bleary and exhausted, after 12 hours of airports and planes. So eager to just sleep. But, when I entered the room, I discovered that the prior guest had smoked in the room, and unfortunately I'm allergic. I called down to the front desk, and Micky immediately moved me to the same room in a different part of the hotel. I proceeded back downstairs for new keys to the new room, and then back up to a new floor and room. New room - keys don't work. Back down I go - three times. Again, not the fault of Micky (he was great), but very frustrating at that time of the morning.. I just wanted to sleep! Finally, the security guard let me in with a promise to solve the key issue the next day. Not a great start, but I was happy. He came back within half an hour, and managed to get the key to work, so I had keys for the next day.

Next day: keys don't work. This time, they send the building handiman, who has to replace the lock. At this point, I have discovered that the tub doesn't drain either, so I'm taking bath/showers in the mornings. :( But that's ok. As my key finally works (only with a trick where you have to hold it just so, and for one second before pulling it out, no more no less), I feel I can manage.

But, there is a cold snap, and later the next day, I receive an email from the hotel, asking me to change rooms, and this room doesn't heat well in cold snaps. So, I go back to my room (I was there for a conference) and pack up again, and head off to get new keys *again*. The ladies at the front desk were super-sweet and very helpful, only they sent me to the wrong room - an upgrade (which at this point I would have expected), but just a 'party' suite with no bed. 5 minutes later as I was standing there, contemplating going back down for new keys and a new room again, there is a knock on the door, and one of the super-sweet front desk ladies had followed me up with new keys and apologies for the wrong room.

Off I went to the new room, which was the same room type (standard). No upgrade. But, they did send me a nice wine and cheese plate with a bottle of table-wine to make up for it. That was a nice touch. Not nice enough to make up for it I'm afraid. If I was a one-off traveller, I would have been thrilled with the wine and cheese. But, searching for a new network to be part of? I would have expected an upgrade after the first night's debacle, let alone the second. Or a free night off my stay.

It's almost like the Hyatt staff are well trained, in general, on friendliness, (and the wine/cheese plate was nice, if it had been only one inconvenience), but not on the upper extremes of things going wrong.. It also seems like they are not being supported by their maintenance teams and/or corporate budgets for renovations and upkeep. I thought this was a one-off issue in Santa Barbara, but I'm seeing it in every Hyatt I have stayed in so far, in major cities.

Pros of this hotel:
-Location - right on the skybridge so you don't have to go outside
-Nice, new lobby
-Great buffet

I'm sorry Hyatt, but it's looking like you're in 3rd place so far - again, I WISH I had stayed in the Hilton next door - amazing hotel and staff! As of now, Hilton is winning this race with SPG behind it.. Keep watching my other reviews as I start moving into HIlton territory in the coming month. I'm actually considering bailing on the last two Hyatt reservations I have in Seattle and Little Rock (?), and moving them to the Hilton instead to get a head start on their program..

Stay tuned..

Room Tip: Higher up and on the water side (view)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The location of this hotel was ideal. It helped that the event I attended was held in the hotel ballroom. That's a plus for a black tie event in the heart of winter. Very easy access to shopping and restaurants. I did not like waiting 10 minutes before the valet parking attendant even batted an eye and I did not enjoy feeling the need to dust my own room. The rooms were neat and appeared clean but it was clear that no one paid attention to the dusting details. I would still stay here in the future. The few issues I had are very fixable.

• Stayed March 2014
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Overall the hotel was nice and the location is great in downtown Cincinnati. Recently re-modeled/refurbished and it has a "new" look. The breakfast buffet was good, but for $17 per person is a little over-priced for what is offered. Hotel parking is too pricy ($26 per night) but other parking is close and cheaper, so we opted for that. Room was nice and a great TV - but no HD picture. They had great HD picture on the TVs in the bar/restaurant, so I can't imagine why it isn't available in the hotel room. Shuttle runs to the Horseshoe Casino and we took advantage of that (no cost.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We came to Cincinnati for the first time and made reservation via "Priceline".
At first glance the hotel surprised by the location, right next to Fountain Square, restaurants and shopping.
A little walk from Riverside, really loved the hotel.
The catch is the service ... expensive parking, no breakfast, free wi fi only in the lobby.
Rooms with queen size beds that seem full.
We spent all day on the street and surprise! When we returned to the hotel after dinner craving a good bath and bed ... not even packed the room, or changed towels ... That is ... The night we are in the lobby waiting for the service to be done, the 9 pm!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
I apologize for the unsatisfactory housekeeping that you experienced during your recent stay with us. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, as it is something that has been addressed. We try to accommodate each of our guests beyond their expectations, and I do hope to have that opportunity with you. Again, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Natasha Hristovska
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Close to the stadium, good food and bars. Great views of the city and close to tansportation to the airport. The breakfast buffet is a little pricey, but there is a little store inside the lobby you can eat a little cheaper. In the evening the lobby bar is a busy social hub. Good place to mingle and end the evening.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you so much for your 5-star review. We love our location as well , as it offers so much to do and all within walking distance of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Natasha Hristovska
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Positive: Hotel looks very nice, newly remodeled, lovely lobby, close to major entertainment in the area, attached to mall area, across street convention center

Negative: expensive internet, parking, overpriced food on restaurant w/ not quality, souvenir inside store is overpriced as well, room is very small but decent condition, A/C is a shame since is set on saving energy and expenses for the hotel.. they set on 75 and no go any higher! is a shame, called maintenance and they told me must be set on that way and they bring me a small equipment to keep some warm in my room... I was cold all night and this is a shame and outrageous.

I've been in this hotel many times since 2009 even prior renovation, many things change for good but I have trouble to understand why don't take the time to keep a closer look on A/C and update as well and leave the temperature free for easy access to guest set the way they feel comfortable in the room because this is what should be their priority

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Clean and nice hotel. Check in was quick and efficient. Nice room, beds and furniture. No microwave, but they do have a mini fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc. Parking is $26, which seems a bit excessive. Wi fi is additonal, which you would hope would be included in the price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Cincinnati? Share your experiences!