No bugs here from what I can see.
Place is kept clean - rooms, lobby, and grounds.
No obvious mold anywhere.
Rooms need updating and items replaced - but it won't affect your stay if you are tired. The bed, however, may seriously trash your back!
Strongest Positives: Girl working front desk on check in - college student studying biology in Columbus. Wow - she's a keeper - very personable, informed, and just very "welcoming" - not just to me but I watched and listened to her interact with the man ahead of me on check in. She "shines"!
It was a quiet stay.
Outdoor pool looked clean and is fairly large.
Parking was good.
Location is near I-275 - about a block off - - and near White Castle, Riley's (at Kemper Rd - about a mile south), and on the same lot with two other restaurants both not open when I left in the morning.
If you want to hit a movie - go under the freeway - there's a large theatre there, a multi-plex. Roosters fast food, Hooters, and a Pappadeux high end seafood place are also in that area.
Strongest Negatives - ( in addition to esthetics):
NOTE - No elevator here!
1. Bed!!!! Terrible for sleeping on! On rare occasion I have slept in my car if I get in somewhere very late. "Sleeping in car with seat back" is more comfortable than the bed here. It's more like sleeping on a "bad pull out couch, thinly padded park bench, or maybe someone's hard sofa" -- even a "carpeted floor in someone's home" might be better for your back. Bed doesn't "sag" - - it's the quality of the bed, in general. Rock hard!!!! - My back feels like I have steel rods in it this morning
It's not a "restful sleep" - I can sleep on just about anything if I am tired enough. This is really really bad. No joke. I have to find a chiropractor soon - or maybe a jacuzzi today may help! Save $30 but spend $75+ for chiro - should have gone to a better place.
2. Sheets and Pillow on the other bed: Pillow slip clearly had been used. Very wrinkled. The sheets on my bed were stained with big blue-gray blotches - I think "maybe" ???? they were clean but something faded on the sheets. The other thing I noticed was what looked like a blood stain that either didn't come out, or was a "left over". The lighting in the room isn't bright so I didn't see it last night - just this morning when I had daylight to help. Yuck!!!!
3. Potted plants block the sidewalk from the lobby - so if you turn to roll your luggage out left or right - to use the sloped area of the walk you can't do it - unless you step off the side walk in to the drive way and then you have to have a very narrow rolling bag - like a laptop bag.
4. Owner: Met her in the morning. On a better day, she is probably a nice person. She's understaffed. But, she doesn't seem to get it that she can't blame housekeeping and maintenance for everything. The buck stops with owners. (No wonder she isn't keeping people who are hired. ) She was seemingly ready to blame me, too, for the fridge and microwave blocking the desk from use, and coffee pot also on the desk. The Owner also explained in a reprimanding tone with me that the fridge microwave were supposed to be in the cabinet, then the explanation changed to they weren't supposed to be in that room at all, to 'why was this a problem/?' I explained that I didn't move these to the floor due to the weight and also I didn't know if she had them up on the desk due to bug problem I hadn't noticed - (get food off the floor level) She confirmed, "no - no bug problem - and these are not supposed to be on the desk. They should be on the floor. So "cabinet or floor" - the story kept changing.
Anyway, I left as I needed to go find a table-top somewhere with WIFI to do some work.
She was out of coffee when I went to the lobby, and she made some. However, she blamed me for not telling her when the coffee was ready brewing. Really?! I was sitting eating a bagel and having the orange juice (OJ was okay - tasted like OJ should taste. Some hotels have weird OJ).
Note to desk -users when traveling - - I now know to ask - "You have a desk in the room - but is it USEABLE?"
Who would have thought a hotel room would use it as the "kitchen counter"!
[Anyway - I think this was just not a good day for her. And discovering in small talk - she is living in a city she didn't choose away from a city she liked a lot. So maybe her unhappiness is showing up on the property in staff issues and other]
5. Gaggy - stinky hallway. Reeks of smoke. Room was fine, however, and labeled for non-smoking.
6. Tub could use some "scrubbing". Seems hotels have problems when they put down the anti-slip strips at the bottom. Tubs don't come clean easily.
CONCLUSION FOR THIS AREA:
It's this or Extended Stay in this area if you want cheap good two star rates. La Quinta would be a star "up" and nearby.
The bed is way more comfortable at Extended Stay, but you may have outdoor bugs visiting (not bed bugs - outdoor bugs). Parking is equally good. I prefer the location at Howard Johnson's. The road down to Extended Stay is "creepy" at night. Restaurants are on property here - not at Extended Stay.
I like Howard Johnson location better. If I stayed here again, I would probably get a THICK memory foam mattress topper to put on the bed - probably would make the bed tolerable. The quality of the bed is the only thing that would stop me from coming back - unless I had something with me to protect my back.
Otherwise, the esthetics - like missing cap for toilet screws, holes in outdoor window curtain, spots on carpet and furniture - mirror that desperately needs re-mirroring - the mirror part is gone at the bottom - I think seems to go with a two-star place.
Get around the "bed comfort issue" - this is an afforadable, great location. Breakfast? Go elsewhere. You can find Frish's Big Boy one exit east or west (Gilmore Rd exit - east) or (Princeton PIke - West), or an IHOP at Gilmore. Continental breakfast here is barely a bite to hold you over to get a shower and leave and that is about it. (3" square of a pastry, or bagel, and OJ and coffee).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently Located Off Interstate 275 At State Route 4. Free High Speed Wireless Internet, & Continental Breakfast, Rooms With King Beds or 2 Doubles, recliner chairs, jet tubs, and work desk with task lamp, Mini Refrigerator And Microwave oven. Interior corridors, Outdoor Pool, Restaurants Adjacent, Golf. Five Minutes To Cincinnati Mills And Tri-County Shopping Malls, 15 Minutes From Kings Island, 20 Minutes To Great American Ballpark. Riverboat Gambling In Lawrenceburg, Indiana- Only 30 Minutes Away. Hairdryers, Irons And Boards In Every Room, Pet Friendly With Fee, Sports Stadiums in Downtown. Sports Bars within a 5 mile radius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Wyndham, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati Hotel Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Cincinnati
- Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati Ohio