“Clean, No Bugs - Poor Night's Sleep - Need Chiropractor” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Woodland Hills, California, United States
“Clean, No Bugs - Poor Night's Sleep - Need Chiropractor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

No bugs here from what I can see.
Place is kept clean - rooms, lobby, and grounds.
No obvious mold anywhere.

Rooms need updating and items replaced - but it won't affect your stay if you are tired. The bed, however, may seriously trash your back!

Strongest Positives: Girl working front desk on check in - college student studying biology in Columbus. Wow - she's a keeper - very personable, informed, and just very "welcoming" - not just to me but I watched and listened to her interact with the man ahead of me on check in. She "shines"!

It was a quiet stay.

Outdoor pool looked clean and is fairly large.

Parking was good.

Location is near I-275 - about a block off - - and near White Castle, Riley's (at Kemper Rd - about a mile south), and on the same lot with two other restaurants both not open when I left in the morning.

If you want to hit a movie - go under the freeway - there's a large theatre there, a multi-plex. Roosters fast food, Hooters, and a Pappadeux high end seafood place are also in that area.

Strongest Negatives - ( in addition to esthetics):

NOTE - No elevator here!

1. Bed!!!! Terrible for sleeping on! On rare occasion I have slept in my car if I get in somewhere very late. "Sleeping in car with seat back" is more comfortable than the bed here. It's more like sleeping on a "bad pull out couch, thinly padded park bench, or maybe someone's hard sofa" -- even a "carpeted floor in someone's home" might be better for your back. Bed doesn't "sag" - - it's the quality of the bed, in general. Rock hard!!!! - My back feels like I have steel rods in it this morning

It's not a "restful sleep" - I can sleep on just about anything if I am tired enough. This is really really bad. No joke. I have to find a chiropractor soon - or maybe a jacuzzi today may help! Save $30 but spend $75+ for chiro - should have gone to a better place.

2. Sheets and Pillow on the other bed: Pillow slip clearly had been used. Very wrinkled. The sheets on my bed were stained with big blue-gray blotches - I think "maybe" ???? they were clean but something faded on the sheets. The other thing I noticed was what looked like a blood stain that either didn't come out, or was a "left over". The lighting in the room isn't bright so I didn't see it last night - just this morning when I had daylight to help. Yuck!!!!

3. Potted plants block the sidewalk from the lobby - so if you turn to roll your luggage out left or right - to use the sloped area of the walk you can't do it - unless you step off the side walk in to the drive way and then you have to have a very narrow rolling bag - like a laptop bag.

4. Owner: Met her in the morning. On a better day, she is probably a nice person. She's understaffed. But, she doesn't seem to get it that she can't blame housekeeping and maintenance for everything. The buck stops with owners. (No wonder she isn't keeping people who are hired. ) She was seemingly ready to blame me, too, for the fridge and microwave blocking the desk from use, and coffee pot also on the desk. The Owner also explained in a reprimanding tone with me that the fridge microwave were supposed to be in the cabinet, then the explanation changed to they weren't supposed to be in that room at all, to 'why was this a problem/?' I explained that I didn't move these to the floor due to the weight and also I didn't know if she had them up on the desk due to bug problem I hadn't noticed - (get food off the floor level) She confirmed, "no - no bug problem - and these are not supposed to be on the desk. They should be on the floor. So "cabinet or floor" - the story kept changing.

Anyway, I left as I needed to go find a table-top somewhere with WIFI to do some work.

She was out of coffee when I went to the lobby, and she made some. However, she blamed me for not telling her when the coffee was ready brewing. Really?! I was sitting eating a bagel and having the orange juice (OJ was okay - tasted like OJ should taste. Some hotels have weird OJ).

Note to desk -users when traveling - - I now know to ask - "You have a desk in the room - but is it USEABLE?"
Who would have thought a hotel room would use it as the "kitchen counter"!

[Anyway - I think this was just not a good day for her. And discovering in small talk - she is living in a city she didn't choose away from a city she liked a lot. So maybe her unhappiness is showing up on the property in staff issues and other]

5. Gaggy - stinky hallway. Reeks of smoke. Room was fine, however, and labeled for non-smoking.

6. Tub could use some "scrubbing". Seems hotels have problems when they put down the anti-slip strips at the bottom. Tubs don't come clean easily.

CONCLUSION FOR THIS AREA:

It's this or Extended Stay in this area if you want cheap good two star rates. La Quinta would be a star "up" and nearby.

The bed is way more comfortable at Extended Stay, but you may have outdoor bugs visiting (not bed bugs - outdoor bugs). Parking is equally good. I prefer the location at Howard Johnson's. The road down to Extended Stay is "creepy" at night. Restaurants are on property here - not at Extended Stay.

I like Howard Johnson location better. If I stayed here again, I would probably get a THICK memory foam mattress topper to put on the bed - probably would make the bed tolerable. The quality of the bed is the only thing that would stop me from coming back - unless I had something with me to protect my back.

Otherwise, the esthetics - like missing cap for toilet screws, holes in outdoor window curtain, spots on carpet and furniture - mirror that desperately needs re-mirroring - the mirror part is gone at the bottom - I think seems to go with a two-star place.

Get around the "bed comfort issue" - this is an afforadable, great location. Breakfast? Go elsewhere. You can find Frish's Big Boy one exit east or west (Gilmore Rd exit - east) or (Princeton PIke - West), or an IHOP at Gilmore. Continental breakfast here is barely a bite to hold you over to get a shower and leave and that is about it. (3" square of a pastry, or bagel, and OJ and coffee).

Room Tip: No elevator - choose by your needs. Bring your own mattress topper to protect your back.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sellsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stay on the road a lot and search every hotel in the area at the time of stay. I found the Howard Johnson to be one of the cleanest, spacious and prices no one else could beat around. When I first checked in, I was greeted with a warm welcoming. I would recommend the hotel to any one who comes through the area. Very satisfied Customer.

• Stayed June 2014
Associates333, Owner at Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
We are Sincerely happy that your stays at our property have been such great experiences and your continuous business is greatly appreciated. Our goal is to ensure consistent Quality, Service, and Cleanliness for the Value you spend with us, for all our guests. It is a tough battle but we are trying very hard. Thank You again!
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in the past on quite a few occasions as it fairly priced and a great location for my reasons of travel. I have to say the owner has definitely put some hard work and money into his establishment, something that may have fallen short in the past. They had a newly renovated front lobby which was in the works on my last trip. The carpeting in the hallways were new and the color brightened the old hotel up. The beds were new, a lot more comfortable. Bedding decor is new & besides maybe updating some pictures and furniture, the hotel has a more modern appearance. The room was clean, the air conditioning kept me nice and cool, and I felt more comfortable than I have in the past. Instead of being a fairly priced hotel, it is a fairly priced hotel that has some quality and comfort.

Room Tip: I prefer to use rooms towards the front of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your great words of wisdom and we definitely appreciate your business. As a single proprietor it is difficult to be able to renovate all 100 plus rooms at the same time financially, however we are trying very hard and we have come a far way and still more to go. Thank you for noticing the changes we do have some operational hurdles to conquer which we should have on track soon. We will work on your suggestions and reviews like yours are very professional and helpful to us. We will strive to continue to make you a loyal customer every time you are in our area.
dumfries, va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

OMG! where do I start? I am not one of those that gives a bad review because the front desk person was rude or breakfast wasn't what I thought it should be or the mattress was hard etc. The room was downright filthy. First thing I noticed was a beer can that was laying on the floor between the air condition unit and the desk. When I pulled the sheets back, there was hair in between the sheets, whcih was obviously because the sheets were never washed. I called the front desk and when the woman (Celeste) they sent up to my room came in, I told her about the beer can and she said to me 'I am not the maid so Iknow nothing about that'). When she pulled all the sheets, the blanket like lining that covers the mattress was DISGUSTING!! it had large stains on it, hair, an just dirt collected after months of use and no washing, so I had her replace that also. When she brought the 'new' sheets, she started to hand them to me and said she was really off the clock and so I had to make the bed myself. when I said I would contact the front desk, she said she was joking and then made the bed with sheets that didn't look much better but at least smelled like they had been washed. The next day when we came back to the room, the first thing we noticed was that the room hadn't been vacuumed (no wonder that empty can had gone unnoticed for so long). We knew it hadn't been vaccumed because the crumbs from the day before all over the carpet were still there. I wouldn't even walk on that dark colored carpet for fear of what dirt there was onit, it felt so grungy. Bathtub still had sopa scum on the walls like it hadn't been scrubbed and the floor in front of toilet had a stains from where pee stains had dried.. (ugggh). Anyway, we stayed for 2 days because we werent there during the day but we booked a room for ourr third day at the Red Roof Inn close to the Dayton Airport for only $42/night and when we walked into that room, it was like walking into the Sheraton hotel compared to this dirty dump. the rooms had been renovated even though it was an old building. everything in the rooms was modern. Owners are nice but I get the sense that they don't supervise the cleaning people or do random spot checks because it is obvious that the maids are gettning paid jsut to make the beds and arrange your stuff to make it look like work had been done. RUN AWAY from this HoJo!!!

Room Tip: Area is quiet so I don't think it matters what room you get
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We would like to start by apologizing profusely for your bad experience at our hotel and Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. You are correct when you state that the

“Owners are nice but I get the sense that they don't supervise the cleaning people or do random spot checks because it is obvious that the maids are getting paid just to make the beds and arrange your stuff to make it look like work had been done”.

There is no excuse for what you experienced and it is very obvious the main issue is our cleaning staff. We had a third party cleaning company who was in charge of Housekeeping and inspecting rooms, however as per your experience they are not doing a good job, therefore we have taken action to remedy the housekeeping issues. We are doing continuous renovations and procedural changes to our operations of the property on a daily basis. Please give us another opportunity to serve you better and we apologize again for your unfortunate experience.
New Matamoras, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Room 1
When we first arrived, the hotel lobby seemed nice, and the man who helped us was polite and seemed knowledgeable. He even got us a non-smoking room when I had booked a smoking room (that's all Booking.com said was available). When we started up the steps to go to our room, I noticed that the carpet was very outdated. No big deal, as long as it's clean, right? We opened the door to the hallway to the guest rooms and were almost knocked on our butts from the cigarette smell. We rushed to our room. As we passed by the doors looking for our room number, I noticed all the room doors were badly dented. How in the heck...? Anyway, upon entering our room, we saw an iron print burned into the carpet. Not much they could do about that. Then we found ashes on the nightstand, and the top of the entertainment center was dusty and had what looked like chunks of drywall on it. We tried to overlook it, thinking housekeeping was just in a rush, and knowing how hard it was to find an open room anywhere around as this was a spur of the moment trip. A little later, I noticed the tile floor in the bathroom area was sticky. Deep breath. We decided to go ahead and leave for the Reds game we were going to. When we got back after the game, I realized there was no light bulb in the wall lamp on my side of the bed. My husband went down to the front desk to get one. There was a different guy there (who must've been new) but was finally able to find a light bulb. Okay. I went ahead and pulled the sheets down so I could sit in bed and read before calling it a night. When I decided to turn in, I flipped the sheet up to get under the covers...queue scary music...and a condom flew onto the floor! OMG! I'm so glad my stepdaughter wasn't with us on this trip; I don't know what we would've told her. We were done. My husband went back down to the front desk and got us assigned to a different room--the only room left in the hotel (a smoking room).
Room 2
When we got into the room, we looked for signs that it had actually been cleaned. The floor by the bed was stained with I don't know what, but it sure as heck looked like blood. Then I noticed the headboard was off the wall mounting. I checked the bathroom floor. It wasn't sticky--but there were footprints in front of the shower! The extra lock on the door wasn't secure; it looked like someone had tried to break in. My husband swore our room was a murder scene. What a horrible night we had!
The lady who checked us out told us she'd leave a note for the manager to see if we'd get any kind of discount. If we did, it wouldn't show on our credit card until probably Friday (we checked out Sunday) due to Monday being a holiday. I wouldn't care if I got a full refund. This was a horrible experience and nearly ruined our weekend.
I have never before left a review for a hotel. But this is the absolute worst stay we've ever experienced. We didn't even go down for the free breakfast. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not go by the stuff you read that most guests recommend this hotel. That was the mistake I made. Worst $70 I ever spent!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My girlfriend and I came into town to visit some of her family and friends and decided to stay here because it's hard to find a motel in the Cincinnati area that's doesn't cost an arm and a leg that you don't have to worry about being murdered in your sleep. That being said, my gf and I were pleasantly surprised by the experience, the management was very friendly and always made sure to ask if we needed anything and the room was clean and suited our needs. The only thing I would tell people that this is an older location so it could use a little love as furniture is a little worn and can tell it's an older building but overall great value

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati? Share your experiences!