“Should be closed and torn down!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #29 of 48 hotels in Cincinnati
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Should be closed and torn down!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were on the 1st floor there must have been a flood at some point. The entire room and floor smells of mildew. There is water damage to the walls which was attempted to be covered with paint. No linen (towels) or toilet paper in room when we called front desk at night to ask for some, we were told to come to the desk to get toilet paper and towels would be available at 9am. Went to get towels in the am and there still was none, lady at desk said the hotel was booked so that is why there was no towels. The lid over the air conditioner in my room was missing. The tub was filthy. The comforter had burn marks. The breakfast consist of little Debbie snacks and knats flying all around and the worst coffee ever. Everything was old and out dated. I saw reviews where they are suppose to be remoldeling I didn't notice it, I would suggest to take a bull dozer and tear down the entire building then build a new one. I am surprised the health department hasn't shut this place down.

Room Tip: Trust me don't waste your time or money, or risk your health. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the night of August 3rd, at the last minute for one night. (You can see my review on the Baymont Inn and Suites is the reason why we didn't have a reservation).

We got two rooms at this hotel at $55.00 a night for two families.

The lady working at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The front desk area was under construction, but we weren't worried about the construction, since that was the only area under construction.

We got to our room and it was very old looking and dingy. My husband came out of the restroom and said you are not going to like this bathroom. There were urine and that time of the month stains on the toilet. I have pictures if someone needs me to forward them over. Needless to say, we never used the bathroom at all. We were so tired we just went to bed. During the night I thought a bug was crawling in my hair, and realized it was the fitted sheet that was too large for the bed curled on my head.

The other room that we had, had mold in the shower. The carpet was coming up, so you had to watch that you didn't trip. The rooms need to be refurbished.

The hotel is in a good location if you are going to Kings Island.

Room Tip: The front desk was very nice and helpful. I think if they end up remodeling the rooms, this could b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gorham, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I Travel 5-10 times a year this was the worst stay ever. Had an alergic reaction to bug bites. First was told they were ants. Then we found bedbugs. Manager apologized and said he would refund room charges. We got home no refund we called hotel and Manager said no refund and accused me of having a history of doing this.......OMG MY EYE WAS ALMOST SWOLLEN SHUT and he witnessed this. No worries I have pictures and plenty of eye witnesses if it goes to court I will seek more than just room fees.

I could have accepted just bad luck or luck of the draw if you will, but when they denied it once I was back home it showed an attempt to fraud.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

OK, there were good and bad things about my stay here. When I first got there I was turned off by all the construction inside the hotel. It really did not matter though because I was never in the lobby, where most of it was. When I got to my room I was a little shocked that the paint job on the door was horribly done; it had me scared for what I will encounter when I opened the door. The bad things I found when I opened the door were towels with some stains on them and a few bugs (I think there were 3 total in my room). I was dismayed at the breakfast options. I was expecting some hot food only to find that the choices were muffins (small ones); donuts; and if were lucky enough to get there early, bagels. I am really glad I set my alarm because if I did not I would have missed out on the food.

OK, what did I like about my stay? For the most part the staff were friendly. Not always the most knowledgeable, but they tried. The TV had a lot of channels; it was a great way for me to wind down after a busy day. The water pressure in the shower was great and the water got hot quickly. I had a room by the pool but was very pleased when I saw the sign that said it was only open from 10 AM to 10 PM (and this rule is enforced by a lock on the door). The area was safe (make a right out of the driveway...those houses are AMAZING!) and close to a major highway that led you to other major highways.

I am not sure if I'd stay there again, but the price was great and I had no major problems.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This motel online said it was updated in 2010. It is still in poor shape. At the front desk their is still a sign excuse our remodeling. . Toilet seat was broken off. Room was still dirty. Would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Associates333, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your Review while negative it is very helpful we are attempting to fix a lot of Maintenance issues as well as Training Issues and it is an ongoing battle which we hope to win very soon. We try to make it right if you would let us know at time of Check In, we do have 119 rooms so a few rooms may be missed at times when inspected we apologize for the broken toilet seat but without know what room now we will have to figure it out. In closing a customer is entitled to a clean well maintained room which I do agree with you on 110%, and if given the opportunity at Check In, we will do what we can in our power to make it right. Again we apologize for your unfortunate experience and Thank You again for your professional and mature review which will assist us greatly in getting things fixed ASAP, it is work in progress.
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My mate and I stay at this hotel whenever we are in cincy and will not stay anywhere else. we love the atmosphere, the courtesy of the staff, the excellent accommodations, professionalism, clean rooms and everything else about it. Poolside is great in the summer and all events held in the conference room that we attended were excellent. What more can i say? Simply not enough. We look forward to every stay. Our thanks to Peter Panchal and staff for making every stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Poolside!!!! Second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Spencer, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

On the up side, this hotel was clean, safe and rather pleasantly furnished. It is readily apparent that improvements are being made to the quality of the rooms and building. Unlike Motel 6, our room included a small refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, iron and ironing board that one might expect in a pricier hotel. The owner/manager was friendly and helpful. And the price was great--only $44/night for two which included a continental breakfast. Several restaurants are within walking distance.

On the downside, the hotel manager smokes and smoking is permitted in some rooms. When we checked in, there was a heavy smell of smoke in the lobby. The first room we were given had the front off the AC. And during the four days of our stay, the housekeeping in our room was quite minimal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Cincinnati? Share your experiences!