“Kings Island Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
“Kings Island Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I selected this hotel on line while on vacation. We were driving thru Cincy on our way home and decided at the last minute to take a day and spend at Kings Island. I chose this hotel based on recent review that it was a great family hotel and not run down like the hotels closer to Kings Island. The reviews were wrong. The room I expected was for two queen size beds, what I got was two full size beds with hair in the bedding. The hotel is large, was built in 83 and remodeled in 2010. The carpet is probably the worst because it's overstretched and loose. The parking lot is shared with about 50 pieces of electric company trucks so with a wedding going on the evening we stayed there was no parking available. The manager did upgrade our room for free to the King size suite but we checked out the next day and drove straight home after the park rather than return to this hotel. Small pool, herds of kids in the halls, parking lot tailgates with adult drinking, people working on their cars and very little security to be seen. To be fair it was fully of families with kids but the drinking adults in the halls and the parking lots doesn't mix with the family environment I was looking for.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you check in. The suite with two bathrooms was the higher rate room and loo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Asst_General_Manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Sterlinggirl48313,

Good afternoon, my name is Brian Wipprecht and I am the Assistant General Manager at the Holiday Inn & Suites Cincinnati - Eastgate. On behalf of everyone at the hotel, I want to apologize about your negative experience during your stay. I do appreciate your feedback, as it is very valuable to us as we are always trying to improve our hotel and service. In addition to taking care of the charges of your room, I have addressed these concerns with our Management Team and staff. Again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. If there is ever any way I may be of further assistance, please let me know.

Brian Wipprecht
Assistant General Manager
brian.wipprecht@hicincinnatieastgate.com
(513) 752-4400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

While this is not a prime location for Kings Island, it is still less than a 30 minute drive to the park. The real bonus, in my opinion, is that it is far enough away that it doesn't receive the abuse that many hotels receive within minutes from the park. For me, this was a big deal, and this hotel did not disappoint.

During our walk to our room, my wife and I were impressed with the activity around us. There was a carpet cleaning service steam cleaning the hallways, maintenance was replacing light bulbs, and every member of staff greeted us with a smile. You could sense the pride everyone took in their job and it showed. Rooms were spotless, pool towels were always plentiful, and requests were handled promptly.

If I had anything I could remark on negatively, it would be two things that had little impact on our experience, and frankly are things the staff has no control over. This first was the decor. This is an older building, so naturally the decor is a little dated. For me, this is a moot point given the fact that everything is so well-maintained. The second was the layout of the building. Hallways are long, and the upper floors are only accessible by two elevators located in the middle of the building. It can sometimes result in long walks. Again, this was only a minor inconvenience, but for some I feel it may be worth noting.

All in all, this was a fantastic hotel that I will recommend to friends and family. A special thanks needs to be passed on to Alex, the manager on duty during our check-in who graciously upgraded our room when he was under no obligation to do so (in fact, the problem was so minor I hadn't even complained). To me, that was the kind of customer service that you rarely see anymore, and the kind of service that will keep someone like me a customer for life, even if it means I pay a little more in the process.

Room Tip: If noise is a concern, you may want to avoid rooms that directly face the highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnEastgate, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Adam W,
We appreciate your comments and review. Detailed comments are very useful to help us continue to improve every guest stay. We are delighted that your family enjoyed their stay with us and we hope to serve you again in the future!
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is wonderful and the staff are great, also a beatuiful lobby area with a nice resturant and sports bar. We were there August 4 for just one night. There was a large party on our floor a (wedding) they said we were upset. It kept us up till 3 am.
But the best part was the hotel staff were great they gave us free breakfast which is a $50 value if you are paying and one of our two rooms were free.
We did not have to ask, this is great customer service and we will be going back for sure.
Again thank you staff members that made our stay great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel was absolutely perfect for our recent visit to the area to see family. We stayed in a 2 room king suite, which had plenty of room for two adults and two children. We couldn't tell that the hotel was very old, but had been renovated- the renovation was that well done! The staff was extremely professional and helpful. Early in the stay, our garbage was not emptied when the room was cleaned, and when we called about it, it was immediately taken care.
Our family lives outside of the city, and this location was about 20 minutes from them, but also only 20 minutes to downtown. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnEastgate, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear maashrink,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and tell us about your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to serve you again in the future.
p
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

1st day into 4 day biz stay. Hotel is just great and exceeds the Holiday Inn expectation. The room was cleaned up very well and even organized while I was away for work during the day. Housekeeping (Jessica) left a simple note saying welcome to the HI when I returned. The very pleasant front desk manager Summer was super attentive and made a call 45 minutes into the stay to see if everything was up to expectations. I notice she took the extra step for all clients checking in before me of walking arounfd the counter to deliver the room key and give directions. I got the same treatment and it just seemed very natural, rather than being something she HAD to do. This is exceptional for a non-luxury (5-star) holiday inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnEastgate, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear J M,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to exceeding your expectations the next time you are in the Cincinnati area!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family as part of a large soccer group in for a tournament. The hotel staff was nice and courteous and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The lobby was convenient and had a lot of seating, but on Sunday, there was a large church group there and parking was hard to find for those guests actually staying at the hotel. The hotel is close to a mall, which is convenient. The only complaint that I had was with the restuarant. We got in a little late to the restuarant (about 45 min before they closed) and found them to be a little bit apprehensive to want to wait on us. In addition, the breakfast was not included and seemed a little pricey. Overall, the stay was nice and I would return if in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnEastgate, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear nixtravelz,
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. If you would like to discuss your dining experience, please feel free to contact us at (513) 752-4400 and ask for Brian. We would love the chance to hear more about your experience so that we can share it with our team to make improvements.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed for business in the area. It appears to be an old Holiday Inn that has been redone. It has those old long long hallways with carpeting that hides the stains. I had a king suite, which was fine with a couch and a flat screen. The bathroom counter had been updated. The room's carpeting seemed newer. The staff was very accomodating. When I saw there was no fridge, I requested one and within minutes I was brought a fridge and microwave. My biggest complaint is the noise from the highway. Sirens abound and some loud truck (garbage?) woke me at 5:23 a..m. A decent fitness center with several treadmills and other equipment. Small but clean pool with a hot tub. I don't like that you can see the people in the pool and the fitness centers from a window that faces the lobby. I had a deal that included breakfast buffet which allowed for omeletes/eggs/waffles as well as what was on the hot buffet. They need to keep coffee free and available all day. The lobby is strange--it looks like it should be an atrium (like an embassy suites) but it just large with tables and a water feature. This hotel is next to a mall--but the roads are confusing there. One plus is you can walk to O'Charley's and Wendy's from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't front the highway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate? Share your experiences!