“I don't get the negativity?!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Garfield Suites Hotel

Save Saved
You added Garfield Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Garfield Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Garfield Place, Downtown, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Marion NY
“I don't get the negativity?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

With the negative reviews, it just goes to show, some people are just never happy! So take those with a grain of salt.
This place is great! What a cool older hotel. No its not ultra modern, but it’s far from run down! With the colors of the carpets, the beautiful woodwork, shiny brass, the light fixtures and neon signs, I could almost feel the old gangsters of the time there with the parties and happenings of the time.
It’s warm atmosphere and comfortable rooms made the stay a pleasure. No there wasn't a widescreen LCD HD TV in my room, but it had a nice set and good clear channels, unlike some higher end places I have stayed. The room was clean and neat, with a full kitchen which was very nice with a real coffee pot (not one of those little wanna be things) and lots of creamers and sugars. I like my coffee creamy and sweet. There was ice in the freezer and the glasses were nice and clean, so I didn't have to leave my room for an ice bucket.
No the vending and ice machines were not on my floor, they were on the first floor, big deal, maybe it will help you walk off that snickers bar when you go get one! Better yet, take the elevator to the 16th floor and get on one of their nice exercise machines and earn that snickers bar! The views from the 16th floor windows were really neat too, I recommend if you stay there go up and take some picts of the city.
The bed was comfortable and the sheets were soft. Nice seeing how must places have the sheets starched so much its like sleeping on sandpaper. Same thing for the bath towels! Wow they were nice and plush, made using them nice. Someone mentioned about running out of hot water. Well I don't know about that, as I took a nice long shower and it was good and hot. Over all the room was nicer and bigger than my first apartment and very clean and comfortable. The balcony had a nice street view and was neat to stand out there and watch the city below.
The onsite restaurant was nice, with good food and good service. Dinner and breakfast there really saved time on my trip. Only negative to me, Starbucks coffee, I hate that bitter crap.
Someone mentioned in a review that it smelled odd in the hotel. I didn’t notice anything out of sorts myself and I have a sensitive sniffer. It smelled like a hotel to me, industrial cleaners and disinfectants. So I don’t know what they meant, maybe they walked past a room someone was cooking in.
So in a nut shell if you need a nice place to stay and are working on a budget, the Garfield is a perfect place to stay. Don’t listen to those negative reviews; they are people that no matter how hard someone tries, they always find a fault.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

The suites are converted apartments so they are really roomy. We had a two bedroom (each w/ a queen size bed), 1 bath suite that included a full kitchen, living room and dining area, as well as a balcony with a view of the City, We were within a couple of blocks of the City center square with its evening entertainment and restaurants. The hotel staff was super friendly and always available. And the price was totally reasonable, taxes included. In fact it was a great deal compared to the single room price at one of the national chain hotels. Perfect combination for a family guy like me. The Garfield Suites Hotel will be my home base whenever I am traveling to Cincinnati. By the way, it is even within walking distance of the the new Reds stadium and the Bengals stadium too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Me and 2 buddies took a road trip to Cincinnati to catch a couple of Reds games. We got a 2 bedroom suite at the Garfield. It was clean, and comfortable but the decor, furnishings, and appliances in the kitchen had clearly not been replaced recently. Our balcony overlooked the main Library.

The staff (Ron and Nina) were very nice and helpful, and the walk to Great American Ball Park was not bad at all. Parking was very inexpensive ($4.00) for two days, and not inconvenient from the hotel if you take "the tunnel".

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant "Cafe Martin" was actually pretty good, but it's not included in the room rate.

There are newer, bigger accomodations in downtown Cincinnati, but for a small, independent, family-owned hotel this wasn't bad. If you accept this place for what it is, you'll be satisfied.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed at the Garfield Suites for a few nights because the Westin Cincinnati was booked (my hotel of choice). It was clean if outdated. The hallways, wallpaper, carpets etc. were all in need of TLC. At $40 less a night, you could see what you were losing vs. the Westin.

The restaurant in the hotel had inconsistent hours when I was there (the desk told me they were open till 10, but they were closed when I went down to eat at 9pm), and inconsistent food.

It was also a much longer hike to central downtown Cinci (and where I worked). I'd much rather stay at the Hilton, Westin, or even Millenium.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Please read this review if you are debating whether or not to stay at this hotel. I have never written a review on trip advisor or any other website, but I felt compelled to do so due to my recent experience at this hotel.

I live in chicago and needed to book a hotel suite for a bridal shower. I noticed Garfield was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor and the pictures on the Garfield website of the penthouse looked beautiful. I reserved a penthouse suite two months ago and arrived last Saturday for the party. I also asked to be given the nicest suite available and said I would pay extra for it (it cost me almost $300 for one night inc. tax).

Although I had been told earlier that I could check in early, they ended up not letting me check in until their normal time (3pm), which was understandable. At 3pm, four of my friends lugged up about 20 bags of stuff and entered the so-called suite. To say we were horrified would be an understatement.

This hotel was disgusting. It smelled, it was filthy, it was hideous, and it was absolutely NOT THE SAME HOTEL AS SHOWN ON THE WEBSITE. I sat on a chair (I weigh about 100 lbs) and the leg broke off! We walked up the stairs, touched the banister, felt it wobbling, and realized it was about to fall off.

I will not go into all the details of how stressful this was for us (considering we were throwing a bridal shower in 2 hours) but I will tell you that we took four trips back down to lobby and found another place to stay despite the incredible inconvenience because it was THAT BAD.

I have stayed at roadside motels that were nicer than this hotel. I am not someone who has ridiculously high standards. This was truly THAT BAD.

I will compliment the management for being courteous and giving me my money back, however, I found it strange that the manager agreed with me that the hotel's website shows pictures that are not of the actual hotel. Is that even legal??? It certainly is not ethical. Also, I strongly suspect that some of the positive reviews written were done so by the hotel. There is no way someone would prefer this hotel to other cincinatti hotels.

Please know the pictures of the penthouse are not of the actual hotel. And PLEASE do not stay here unless you are truly looking for a huge, cheap, low-budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Darren83, Guest Services Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
For the comfort of all of our guests, The
Garfield Suites Hotel does not allow parties
to be held in our hotel. All photos on our website depicting our accommodations are
actual photos of our condo-suites and penthouses.
Foothills of NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

The Garfield Suites is an incredible value for road weary travelers. In the band WSNB, we stay in many places across the nation, and The Garfield Suites is an oasis in the desert! The rooms are huge. A living room, kitchen, and seperate bedrooms in any other city would easily cost you $250 in other cities, but the Garfield was just $99 a night! We have a large crew, and the money you save in the city with having your own kitchen in your suite, pays for itself in two days of eating out.
The staff was SUPER nice to us, and extremely helpful with parking, and local hotspots to see. Really great people from top to bottom!
WSNB can't say enough good things about our stay, and we will be checking into The Garfield Suites EVERY TIME we play in Cincy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed in one of the penthouse suites at the Garfield Suites Hotel during the Cincy Blues Fest. It was a great place to stay in town, near many restaurants, within easy walking distance of the Fest, and the suite was wonderful. The views from the first floor living room/party room/kitchen were fantastic, and there was a full kitchen, including refrigerator, stove, coffeepot. The second floor features a bridge from sitting area to bedroom, again with 180-degree views of the city and surrounding hills. And the third floor/rooftop deck was delightful morning and night, a great place to relax after a day at the Fest. Our two teenagers shared a two-bedroom suite which was also quite roomy, had the same kitchen amenities, and a balcony overlooking the city and eastern hills. I would recommend the Garfield Suites Hotel to anyone coming to Cincinnati for a concert or festival in particular, because it is so convenient and the suite layouts are great for socializing before and after.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Garfield Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!