“Birthday weekend” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Garfield Suites Hotel

You added Garfield Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Garfield Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Garfield Place, Downtown - Entertainment District, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Special Rate
Free Balcony Upgrade!
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati
“Birthday weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Stayed here years ago, decided it would be nice to get away for nice weekend with friends. Staff was very welcoming. Everything I asked I got. Towels, soap, and free bag of ice. Thought I had a nicer suite with balcony but did not get the room I wanted. My suite was older. Refrigerator did not cool very well had to use the freezer to chill my drinks. But overall it was a fair suite.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony have better ambiance not so dark.
Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thanks for staying with us again! We certainly appreciate our repeat customers! We are happy to hear that you found our staff very welcoming and responsive to all of your requests. Our full-sized refrigerators are set for 38F in the fridge and 20F in the freezer. We also offer free 10 pound bags of ice at the front desk. Please give me a call on my cell at 513.728.5394 if you get a moment. We appreciate your business again very much! Sincerely - Mick Douthat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Where do I start? First of all.the pictures on the hotel web site do not look anything like the hotel. My wife and I have traveled quite a bit, and this was the worst place we have ever been. The purpose of our trip was to go to the Red's game. We had the 2BDRM "suite" on the 14th floor with a balcony.The rating on this site weighed in our decision..BUT..Anyone who rated this hotel with 2 + either never travelled or have very low standards. I have been camping many times, gone fishing in a cabin in the middle of the woods, so I am not a "prima donna". My issue is that we booked through Hotels.com where you don't know where you book until the "non refundable" transaction is completed, I do not recommend this site if you don't have any knowledge of these hotels.

This hotel is filthy, worn out, outdated and should not be in business. The only 2 positives of this hotel is the location and the staff, no fault of theirs, made the most of this outrageous hotel. As we entered the hotel, I knew right away that this was going to be a challenge! Mildew smell, stained carpet, stained filthy dirty lobby chairs, OMG...what did I sign up for? Then once inside the room, the ultimate icing on the cake...the most outdated furniture, dirty jade carpet, wallpaper pealing off, bathroom sink cracked, bottom of the tub stained black with no more enamel....OMG the mattress, I have been to "quickie motels" with more comfortable mattresses. The walk to the indoor garage is no better. Completely worn out carpets, dusty mirrors, etc..etc..I strongly do not recommend this hotel. I was told that there is new ownership since last Feb but obviously, not in hurry to update.....The city has no life, no shopping, good restaurants (thank God!!) lots of homeless people that beg for a $1....many vacant stores. As you can guess, our experience other than the ball games, was not a very good one. Sorry Cincinnati, I had such high expectations.....

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry that your very first TripAdvisor review delineates such an unfortunate story. First and foremost, please give me a call on my cell to discuss the details of your experience at 513.728.5394 as I would be most interested to learn when and where you stayed. Our location in the Cincinnati's downtown Entertainment District is absolutely full of great restaurants, museums, bars, casino, etc.! I can't imagine how you found the area with "no life"? Of the issues that your raise that I am comfortable in responding to our mattresses and box springs are newer Serta Perfect Sleeper brand. Beds and pillows are often personal in preference and we do offer mostly the medium/firm type but also have softer options on request. Hotels.com as you mentioned below does not hide the name of the hotel on their site - not sure what site you were looking at, and we cannot speak for 3rd party travel sites, but the photos and video tour on our website definitely give a very accurate depiction of the Garfield Suites Hotel. I truly look forward to hearing from you personally! Thank you.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Lobby smells like a musty basement. Room was absolutely filthy; tile floors not cleaned, carpet stained and sticky, and overall filthy. With choices like the Westin, Hilton, and Hyatt, there's no reason to stay here.

I asked for toothpaste and was told "yeah, we don't give out toiletries. There's a vending machine".

I'm a Hilton Diamond member and spend 150 nights a year in a hotel. This is the first review I've ever written. That's how bad it was.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Where do I begin...check in time was at 3:00, however I could not get into my room until after 5:00. When we did get into our room it was not clean at all!!! There were dead bugs smashed on the wall, broken glass on the balcony, above the bed there were cob webs with more bugs in them, I could not sleep knowing these were over my head!! The lady that was helping us Pam, was no help, and reeked of cigarette smoke, said our room was ready but it was obvious that no one checked to insure our room was really clean, she did advise that the floor was wet which it was, so they did mop, however this is not the level of cleanliness that I would expect from this hotel. The gentleman that came to our room offered to clean it up properly however I could not stay here!! I don't know what's going on there now, I have stayed here in years past and the hotel was a nice one, BUT now I would not let my dog stay there.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Where do I begin? The whole place stinks. Everything in the rooms look like the last time they were replaced was the early 90s. Carpet coming up. Wallpaper missing. TVs in the bedrooms look like the one I had as a kid in the 1980s. It is a weird maze to get from the parking garage to the lobby. I literally thought I was being Punk'd with all the doors we had to go through. The only reason I didn't rate it a 1 is bc I'm sure there are hotels who rent by the hour that are worse. Should have been half the price for what you get. I absolutely would NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff are very nice, but lots of small problems. The parking is terrible, have to go through a maze to get to hotel, plus it costs an extra 10 dollars a day. Do not pay extra for the balcony, it is just a concrete slab with no furniture and no view unless your way on top of hotel, very outdated, plug didnt work in tub. Key card stopped working 1st day. If someone is sleeping on the pull out couch it is very noisy, they play a radio 24/7 on the intercom in the halls that keep you up. The room walls are very thin too.On the plus side, it was clean, very roomy, staff very nice and the restaurant on site is very good. I doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be very friendly and the rooms extremely spacious, roomy and clean. With regards to parking, although the hallway that connects to the hotel isn't the easiest to navigate, please know that The Garfield Suites Hotel is the only hotel in downtown Cincinnati that has any attached parking garage whatsoever. In addition to our self-parking, we also offer valet parking (like the other downtown hotels) if you'd prefer to avoid the 50 yard walk through the hallway. Also happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant Cafe Martin! Please do not hesitate to call me with any questions or special requests that you may have on your return visit to Cincinnati. I am available personally to ensure your 100% comfort. Sincerely - Mick Douthat - cell 513.728.5394
Nashport, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Prior to booking at Garfield Suites I read many reviews on it and other places. I was looking for a location not to far from another event. I would definitely book there again.
Pros:
The help was fantastic, especially the front desk.
There is a restaurant that is open different times during the day, and has room service during the restaurant's hours. Food is reasonably priced.
There's a number of vending machines.
Laundry facilities are on several different floors plus they offer dry cleaning and laundry service.
The hotel room has a very nice layout which included a walk-in closet and a room safe.
The kitchen included a dishwasher, and had all of the basics needed to cook.
The room was very clean.
The bed was comfortable and had 6 fat firm pillows across the top.
Flatscreen tv in the living room, cable with many channels; older tv that worked fine in the bedroom.
Cons:
You are in the city, you will hear sirens off and on.
Parking can be an issue if the parking garage is full. We parked on the street and then moved the car after 4:30 to the parking garage.
Others had commented on the bubbling of carpet, I only saw this in the hallway, not in our room.
The furniture is dated somewhat, however our room looked good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel! We are especially pleased that you found our staff to be "fantastic, especially the front desk" and that you found everything to be clean and comfortable (especially the pillows) and you enjoyed our large 42" plasma TVs in the suites. Parking in any downtown location can, at times, be a challenge, but, guests are reminded that valet parking is also available here and that is always the most convenient option. Self parking here is still only $6/day M-F and $3/day on weekends (best rates in the city!) and the garage will fill to capacity only 4-5 days per year. Please do not hesitate to call me when you're coming back to Cincinnati! I would love the opportunity to answer your questions or handle any special requests personally. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely - Mick Douthat

Been to Garfield Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!