“Bargain Surprise in Cincinnati, OH” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Garfield Suites Hotel

You added Garfield Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Garfield Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Garfield Place, Downtown, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Rineyville, Kentucky
“Bargain Surprise in Cincinnati, OH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I recently stayed at the Garfield Suites Hotel for 3 nights and I can say that we were very surprised and happy with our stay. Ron checked us in upon arrival and was very helpful and friendly. We arrived early and he politely asked if we would like an upgrade to a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite due to the fact that our room was not ready. This was at no additional cost to us. The room was a bit dated or retro with a blast from the past furnishings, carpet, and appliances. The suite was very large and was clean with no odors which was nice. One of the bedspreads seemed to have been a little dirty with visible spots, but was promptly and quickly replaced upon request. There is a complimentary shuttle which is available on a first come first served basis for the downtown area only. Once our car was parked, we only had to take it out of the garage one time throughout the entire stay. Ashleigh and Randy were very helpful and dropped us off and picked us up promptly upon request. Randy made us feel as if he was our own personal tour guide which was very refreshing and helpful in navigating our way around. The Garfield is in a great location and within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, local attractions, museums, etc. The restaurant Cafe Martin on the 1st floor is very good and the staff was very courteous and professional. Two other staff members who were very professional and polite; Darren & Ayana added to our stay and went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. We will not hesitate to stay and the Garfield Suites Hotel again should we travel to Cincinnati in the future. The only reason that we didn't give 5 stars is due to the fact that there is indeed a need for some upgrades to the rooms in the near future which are showing signs of aging. Thank you Garfield Suites staff! We appreciate you and totally enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: You have a choice of a balcony which is nice. Ask for ice at the desk instead of using the ice tray...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
clarksville, tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great hotel. Great staff. Rooms are very large with a full kitchen. They could probably use some new updated elevators they were kind of slow. But that is really the only complaint I can think of. The balconies had a great view of downtown also. Would definitely stay there again if I go back to Cincinnati.

• Stayed September 2013
Battle Creek Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Garfield suites hotel was a very nice place to spend one night in the city. We had a 2Bd suite, which split the cost between two couples. Perfect. Unit had a full kitchen also. Beds were comfy and suite furniture adequate, but not fancy. What made our stay particularly pleasant was the wonderful staff. They went out of their way to accommodate our parking issue with a truck and trailer, as well as gave us a ride to the casino when the shuttle did not show up. Great people.
In house cafe was superb both for dinner and breakfast. Cafe Martin.

Room Tip: The view from the 15th floor was beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife, a friend, and I stayed at the Garfield for a night after a wedding. I will openly admit that it was a great place to stay when the privacy of two bedrooms is needed, and you'd like to split the cost with someone else. The floor plan of our two bedroom suite was relatively open. It had a spacious living/dining area, a functional kitchen complete with utensils and cookware, two small bedrooms that served their purpose, and a full bath. That was all wonderful.
On the other hand, EVERYTHING from the wallpaper and the carpet to the appliances and the furniture was very dated. 1990s decor doesn't seem that old at first, until you realize that it's approximately 20 years old. So, when I mention that the whole suite seemed a little worn and dusty, you'll understand.
One very strange thing to me - perhaps this is my anal art school background - was how low the "artwork" was hung. Artwork should be hung at approximate eye level. That being said, there was a reproduction hung above the desk at what would be eye level if one was sitting down. Weird. I can almost forgive that one. However, the reproduction behind the couch was also hung to be viewed while seated. But who sits backward on a couch? I dare you to not find it strange. But I digress.
The front desk staff was friendly enough, but it should be noted that our room wasn't ready by check in. We waited in the lobby (which was sharp and contemporary at first glance, but dirty after inspection...furniture in particular) while guest after guest received their room keys.
Another oddity was the maze from the parking garage to the hotel lobby. I felt like some treasure hunter navigating some Cincinnati catacomb. Bring a compass because your GPS may not work down there.
Overall, the Garfield served it's purpose comfortably enough for the price and the location (two blocks from fountain square). Although I'd still like to see some updates, I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had my Wedding next door at the Cincinnati Club and I got bitten all over my body by bed bugs. My wedding was ruined. The place is a dump. We waited 2 hours for our room to open up when we arrived and check in time was at 3 pm. I was late to my rehearsal dinner. Our room smelled like cigarettes. I will never go back. Run for your life...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were very impressed by the size of the room and the location. I found Cincinnati to be a great city for getting around by walking. We happened to be there while Oktoberfest was on and also a Bengals v Packers game, so the place was definitely in party mode. The (in house) restaurant was excellent, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful...especially the manager who gave us excellent advise about the public transport...which we used to visit the zoo, what a great experience.... thank you.

Room Tip: I cant complain about any aspect of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Washington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3rd anniversary and also to see the Reds/Pirates game. The hotel was in a awesome location to walk to about everything.

When we arrived we were greated by a sort of friendly desk staff and clean lobby. After finally finding a parking space in a connecting pay garage we went up to our 1 bedroom suite on the 15th floor. We walked in and the room didnt seem to bad. It was fairly clean, but had a rundown appearance. There were water stains on the ceiling that might indicated it was leaking, the walls was in need of painting and the furniture was scratched up and in need of replacing. The tub in the bathroom was stained up by something unknown. The kitchen was nice and had full size applainces with included pots and pans, plates and glasses. The view wasnt too bad from the 15th floor if you could have seen through the clouded up windows. In the living room I was afraid to move the curtains since the rod was coming away from the wall. A accident ready to happen.

After settling in we decided to try the free WIFI internet and get directions to the resturant we wanted to eat at. After putting in the password we were unable to connect. We called down to the desk to make sure the password was correct and then tried again. After several attempts we contacted the desk once again and the guy at the desk gave us a number to call the provider to have it fixed. I think that was a unacceptable answer. I was not going to sit on the phone trying to get their product fixed. Oh well we didnt want to use the internet after all.

The mattress in the room was very uncomfortable and evry once in awhile when lying on it you could feel the springs.

Overall the hotel wasnt too bad, but wasnt worth the money paid. I could have stayed somewhere else for the same price and would have been more comfortable. The staff was for the most part very friendly especially the night crew. I guess the best partof staying at this hotel was the location and most everything within walking distance.

I am not too sure if I would reccommend this hotel to my family or friends untill the due some remodeling.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Garfield Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!