The Garfield Suites is the type of place that can polarize opinions. I can easily see how one person can view the space as a little kitschy and retro, while another sees it as rundown and dated. I can see how some can both like and hate the apartment-style interior (such as a separate bedroom space and a kitchenette with 1980's-era appliances and pantry shelves) that the Garfield rooms sport.
In terms of downtown-vicinity hotels, the hotel is among the farthest to places along the riverfront like Great American Ball Park (GABP) and Paul Brown stadium (at least a mile-long-trek to either of those destinations.) It also is located on the edge of what seem like some seedier neighborhood areas, but during our stay my wife and I made a night walk from GABP back to the hotel with no issues.
During our stay, we also found the staff nice and helpful, and very adept at handling the crowds (the Suites appears to draw a lot of baseball fans in for a series of games.) The interior, although dated, wasn't an issue for us, with plenty of space (a bonus for larger families/groups) to be had, and the space itself was clean and well-kept.
The somewhat small loading zone for the hotel (on Garfield Place itself just off of Vine) can be a bit tricky to access, especially if you're coming from the east from Eighth Street. Hotel parking (which can be prepaid with an online reservation if desired) is located in the garage to the west/rear of the hotel. You can get to the garage to the hotel lobby without having to go outside, but the passageway is winding and tight in spots and can be tricky to negotiate if you are hauling bigger pieces of luggage and/or battling others going the other way.
If you're looking for a downtown location and you can spend about $70 or more per night than the Garfield's typical room rate, then the Garfield probably should not be in the conversation. If the cash is a little more near and dear to you, then the Garfield and the Millennium Hotel (based on Trip Advisor reviews, a hotel that shares worn down/cleanliness/dated-feeling issues that trades a slightly higher room rate for a more convenient location to the riverfront) seem to be the two main downtown choices.
As far as the former, we found the Garfield perfectly fine and would stay there again without issue. We gave it a 3-star rating, but since you can't give fractional ratings here on TA, my true rating would be closer to 3.5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Garfield Suites Hotel is one of Cincinnati’s best hotels for leisure and business travelers alike, as well as for extended-stay guests. Rated the #1 Cincinnati hotel by TripAdvisor, The Garfield Suites Hotel is the only downtown Cincinnati hotel offering multiple room condo-suites compared to the standard hotel rooms that the national chains offer. If you want a lot of space and convenience at budget-friendly prices, The Garfield Suites Hotel is the best choice in downtown Cincinnati Ohio hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, TravelClick, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Garfield Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garfield Hotel Cincinnati
- Garfield Suites Hotel Cincinnati, Ohio