“A Bit of a Relic, But A Good Value For Downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Garfield Suites Hotel

You added Garfield Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Garfield Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Garfield Place, Downtown, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Ohio
“A Bit of a Relic, But A Good Value For Downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Garfield Suites is the type of place that can polarize opinions. I can easily see how one person can view the space as a little kitschy and retro, while another sees it as rundown and dated. I can see how some can both like and hate the apartment-style interior (such as a separate bedroom space and a kitchenette with 1980's-era appliances and pantry shelves) that the Garfield rooms sport.

In terms of downtown-vicinity hotels, the hotel is among the farthest to places along the riverfront like Great American Ball Park (GABP) and Paul Brown stadium (at least a mile-long-trek to either of those destinations.) It also is located on the edge of what seem like some seedier neighborhood areas, but during our stay my wife and I made a night walk from GABP back to the hotel with no issues.

During our stay, we also found the staff nice and helpful, and very adept at handling the crowds (the Suites appears to draw a lot of baseball fans in for a series of games.) The interior, although dated, wasn't an issue for us, with plenty of space (a bonus for larger families/groups) to be had, and the space itself was clean and well-kept.

The somewhat small loading zone for the hotel (on Garfield Place itself just off of Vine) can be a bit tricky to access, especially if you're coming from the east from Eighth Street. Hotel parking (which can be prepaid with an online reservation if desired) is located in the garage to the west/rear of the hotel. You can get to the garage to the hotel lobby without having to go outside, but the passageway is winding and tight in spots and can be tricky to negotiate if you are hauling bigger pieces of luggage and/or battling others going the other way.

If you're looking for a downtown location and you can spend about $70 or more per night than the Garfield's typical room rate, then the Garfield probably should not be in the conversation. If the cash is a little more near and dear to you, then the Garfield and the Millennium Hotel (based on Trip Advisor reviews, a hotel that shares worn down/cleanliness/dated-feeling issues that trades a slightly higher room rate for a more convenient location to the riverfront) seem to be the two main downtown choices.

As far as the former, we found the Garfield perfectly fine and would stay there again without issue. We gave it a 3-star rating, but since you can't give fractional ratings here on TA, my true rating would be closer to 3.5.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Met my folks in Cincinnati to go to a Red's Game. Arrived Friday night and left Sunday Morning. Chose this hotel because basically I got a 2 bedroom condo, so it was nice to have a mutual living room for visiting with my parents Room was up to date, the hotel was clean, and the staff was friendly. By the way, we stayed on the 11th floor. They also offer a free shuttle to anywhere in the city you might want to go. We took advantage of of dropping us off for the Red's game and well during the day to walk over the Purple Bridge. It's also a close walk to/from Red's game.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Newly renovated, I don't think so. Try 30 years ago. The room was just awful. Dirty, dark and dated. The carpets were so filthy, our 10 month old's knees and the tops of his feet were literally black. No kidding. Everyone's feet were black. Disgusting.

• Stayed August 2013
North Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here the week of August 18 to see the Reds. Had a two bedroom suite that was equipped with a kitchen and 2 bathrooms and with four people the room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is a nice walk to Great American Ballpark as well as Paul Brown Stadium (a mile or so). The associates we encountered were nice and customer service oriented. Upon check in Ron explained all the amenities the hotel had as well as the use of the hotel shuttle and the shuttle to the casino. We were at the Bengals pro shop when it started to rain, we called the hotel to see if they could send a shuttle to pick us up, within 10 minutes as promised the shuttle was there to take us back to the hotel. This will be the hotel of choice on our next trip back to Cincinnati. Oh yea also a short walk to Skyline Chili and Graeter's ice cream.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Love this hotel. I travel quite a bit, and this has become one of my favorite repeat destinations. Rarely can I say that I feel I'm getting MORE than what I paid for, but in this case it's true. Free wi-fi, free use of spacious workout facility on top floor, free local shuttle service. I usually stay in a suite with kitchen on one of the higher floors, and it is quiet and super comfortable. Especially appreciate having a restaurant and bar on first floor. Thank you, Garfield! Look forward to coming back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Garfield Suites in Down Town Cincinnati and had an experience well below my expectations. When making my reservations I requested a 3 bedroom penthouse with at wet bar, (a room I have stayed in before) and was told that is what I would be getting. I payed for the room at the time of booking which is the hotel policy for penthouse rooms. When I arrived on August 17th and walked into my room there was no wet bar and only 2 bedrooms. I called the front desk and was told that unless I had the name of the person who made the reservation there was nothing they could do for me. I then asked to speak to a manager and was told the hotel was over sold by 4 rooms (so reservation mishaps must be a common thing there) and there was nothing he could do for. While I was annoyed, I knew his hands were tied and the situation was not his fault. He agreed to send me up a roll a bed free of charge and give me breakfast in the morning. I said okay and headed back to my room- while through out my stay the the customer service was extremely below par- employees failed to take accountability for mistakes, kept passing the buck of blame, and had no follow up- what I found on their website once I returned home is what upset me the most.

When I got home I began searching my email for a confirmation to see if it listed the room details- but found nothing but a receipt of my payment. I got on the website to research pricing and see what I had paid for. It seem my payment aligned with the pricing for a 2 bedroom penthouse- so I checked out the listed accommodations and found several falsehoods.

WET BAR- there was none
FULLY EQUIPPED KITCHEN WITH COOKWARE & SILVERWARE- . There was no silverware and minimal cookware,(one cutting board, 3 knives, and some cups to be exact- I checked every cabinet and drawer.
FIRE PLACE- which was out of order- and did not look like it is something
you were planning on fixing.
FOYER- there was none- and nothing that even remotely resembles what is
pictured on your website as the foyer.
BALCONY- there was a nice balcony in the room but the one pictured on your
website looks larger and nicer- with flower pots.

If a room is advertised to have something it should have it. If something being advertised is broken it should be fixed in a timely fashion. The
website is building worth in the the rooms by listing the accommodations and some of them are down right lies. I find it to be confusing, deceiving, and and an unethical business practice.
I was annoyed by the lack of organization, customer service, and follow up during my stay- but the misrepresentation I found on the website after my stay was the most upsetting. This goes to show the lack of focus on customer satisfaction is something that trickles down from the top of the company.

I sent the company an email about my experience and received an apology email in return. While I appreciate the apology, he did not address the issue of their misleading website. I checked their website today and it still lists the same accommodations.

I want to warn others others not to spend money thinking they will receive better amenities then rooms actually offer.

Room Tip: Get everything in writing, get the name of every person you talk to- and know the website is mislead...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

In town to visit family, we needed a place for one night in downtownCincy. Most places were over the top expensive. Garfield was very reasonable. Victoria in reservations was extremely helpful, providing all the information we needed and assisting with last minute reservations. The hotel was clean and spacious..one bedroom suite...would be perfect even for an extended stay. Location was perfect. All in all, great place for the price. Would definitely recommend to friends or business folks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Garfield Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!