“We really WANTED this place to be good!” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hugo Restaurant
3235 Madison Rd, Ste A, Cincinnati, OH 45209-1397 (Oakley)
513-321-4846
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Oakley
Cincinnati, Ohio
“We really WANTED this place to be good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I give this place three stars with a little sadness (maybe 4 stars for food, 2 stars for service), as this place is so close to where we live. We came in on a weeknight and saw that the place was completely empty at 7:30; this made us suspicious.

Despite service that was awkward and aloof for the entire experience, our evening started out great: Our appetizers and house-made muddled cocktails were really fantastic. The entrees came and were delicious, but really overpriced for what I personally had. I had the shrimp and grits.....a great dish, but $26 for 3 average sized shrimp on a bed of cheesy grits seems a little aggressive on the pricing. Our friend received the entirely wrong entree and basically experienced a standoff with the waiter over this; the waiter accepted responsibility but strongly suggested my friend try what was given to him so that he wouldn't have to wait an additional 15 minutes for the correct entree. My friend accepted this wrong entree just to difuse the situation. Incredible...I have never seen anything like this. Oh, and nothing was discounted...still full price on the check.

All in all: Appetizers/drink were greats, entrees overpriced, service awkward/aloof.

There's a lot of competition in this price point in the area, so I really hope Hugo steps it up fast. Most of the food here was great, but the service and the value are enough to drive much of your clientele down the street into Oakley/Hyde Park for a better experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Surprisingly good Southern cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Went to Hugo during Cincinnati's restaurant week just to try something new with friends. None of us had been there before and really weren't sure what to expect. I grew up vacationing in Charleson, SC and one look at the menu had me ear to ear with glee. Shrimp n grits and She Crab Soup aren't restaurant staples up here and I couldn't have been happier to find those dishes on their menu. The food isn't cheap, but the portions are decent and our server was excellent. The atmosphere was a bit classier than I excpected, but the music in the background and the friendly staff made it more comfortable. This is my new recommendation for anyone looking to have a good, solid meal in Cincinnati.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, OH
“Some things very good, some ... a little off”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We'd eaten at Hugo twice before, and treated a friend to her birthday dinner there because she'd wanted to try it. First, to be clear, every member of the staff is warm and friendly. The food, however, is not quite as consistent. An appetizer special of veal sweetmeats were tough little balls floating in a gluey pool of liquid; the taste was sort of OK, but its appearance was truly icky. On the other hand, the she-crab soup was good enough to ask for a take-home container. Our main courses -- quail, pork loin and salmon -- were better and more appealingly presented. Like other reviewers have mentioned, we did not receive bread as nearby tables did; we had to ask for it, but it was then brought promptly.
The oddest, and most irritating, experience was dessert. Our server told us the three choices, and walked away to let us think about it. Birthday girl expressed revulsion at one, and had zero interest in the other two, so we offered to take her somewhere else for dessert instead. When the server returned, we began explain that we'd be skipping dessert and asked for the check. But right behind her, another server appeared to place two of the three dessert choices on our table with a flourish -- "Because it's your birthday!" Very awkward moment. So we politely accepted what we assumed to be a comp. Birthday girl and I each took a small, polite taste of each, and let my husband finish them.
He told me later that those desserts -- $8.50 each -- were, indeed on our bill.
So ... we were made to pay $17 extra for something we did not order and, frankly, did not want. That really irritates me, on principle. Dinner, with tip, was over $200. (Birthday girl doesn't drink, so that bill reflects just one glass of wine for me.) We enjoy splurging on a fabulous meal, but will probably choose another place to do that in the future.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Go somewhere else!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

We just had a terrible experience at Hugo. Terrible! The waiter was nice , a bit aloof and unaware that she never brought our bread or my wine. The appetizer was not tasty and the salad had greasy bacon on it. And the meal - a quail dish - was not very good. Turns out my wine went to the wrong table! We just wanted to leave as quickly as we could.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Cincy
“Overpriced and overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I came here at the recommendation of a friend. Don't make the same mistake. Service was poor, wine we ordered never came, bread was never offered although other tables received it, and food that wasn't tasty wasn't rectified. Even after we complained no one offered to make it right. Even worse, the prices are high. Save your money, there are a lot of other great choices in cincinnati.

• 3 of 5 stars Food