“beautiful hotel,attentive hostess” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Symphony Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Symphony Hotel & Restaurant
210 W. 14th Street, Cincinnati, OH 45210   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
Hilliard, Ohio
“beautiful hotel,attentive hostess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were in Cincinnati for a baseball game and stayed the night here. We were absolutely happy with everything at the hotel.The room was beautiful , the breakfast was made to what we liked. The manager went out of her way to make us feel welcomed.Plan on staying here again. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel!
We are very pleased that you had a enjoyable stay with us here at the Symphony Hotel
& Restaurant. We always do whatever we can to make sure our home is your home
when you stay with us! It was a pleasure meeting both of you & hope to see you again
soon in the near future!

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

There have been reviews that are all over the place, so I hope I can help with our experience. My guest and I had an event to go to in the area and thought this would be a great place to go to. In the end, several things made it just average.

The parking situation is worse than most people describe it as. The street is horribly narrow and you WILL scuff your tires no matter what you do. The potholes along the way shoot your car into the curb and when you try to correct for it, you go into the other one. I've attached a picture of my wheel and tire with a big scratch/hole in them, respectively. Notice the wide powder from the white curb; it's definitely one created getting to the parking. For all of your hard work in getting there, there are very few spots out of the 6 that are open because STAFF know better than to park their car in the street even when it will be in PLAIN VIEW of them the entire time they're working and they, therefore, take up HALF the spots. Add $100 to the cost of the trip to balance the tire and fix the alignment from only one trip through the street. Your scratches will never come out and my new tire will be over $200. I'm sure that the city would help them out with widening it even a few inches if they asked, but even then, they should have been a lot more honest about the parking situation on their site. I'm sure things would be even more interesting if 2 cars tried to go down this same street at the same time.

Once you get there, you check in and get to your room where everything, including the mattress, is ancient. A quick fix was to put a 2 inch piece of foam on top of the old mattress which is probably the reason others have mentioned that the bed was too soft. I could never imagine paying this much for a place that I have to share the bathroom with anyone with. Your linens got a quick wash in a home washer and dryer and were put back on your bed, in case you're wondering why they have some weird stains in them.

Breakfast is a nice omlet, some coffee and juice. Not much more to say about that. They know that most people are scared to go out at night, as they should be, and will be staying for the "price fixe" dinner which starts at $45/person but quickly approaches $150 for 2 if you order a glass of wine or two to pair with your courses and tip everyone that was taking care of you. The meals are good, but when you're paying over $65 a plate, they'd better be incredible. If you do decide to venture out of the hotel, you will notice the interesting mix of affluent gay couples enjoying each others' company and absolute thugs that quietly watch you everywhere you go.

Speaking of which, the buildings facing the park have got a new coat of paint and the first block away from it have the same, the rest of it is scary to walk through during the day and very dangerous to walk through at night, so don't bother. It's true that you can run from the hotel to the Over the Rhine area. In reality, it is a few blocks of bars and coffee shops that aren't really worth the hazards of leaving the hotel. If you do go, you then have to nervously wait outside for a cab to take you back to the hotel when you want to go home, hence the mention of taking a cab ride home at night instead of a 10 minute walk.

Sunday, when you leave, you have to plan it exactly right. You have to have everything out of the room and in your car before 10AM to be at the brunch exactly at 10AM because you have to be checked out of your room and gone by 11, so no staying out late the night before. This includes your car being out of there too so that you one of the 4 spots is available to the next victims. If you slept in a bit and had a casual breakfast that took, gasp, a whole hour and were going back to pack your bags, you're past their check out time and they will not be happy about it. I thought B&Bs were more relaxed about that stuff but this place is super strict.

In the end, the room averages out to be around $3-400 a night with all of the costs that you can't get away from and for that price, you can get a much better hotel in a much safer area with more to do than walk through the park and have a few beers down the street. Since they know they've got you trapped at the hotel, they charge you absolutely the maximum, full price, for everything that is not included with the room, just as if you were at one of the chain hotels that do every thing to squeeze every last penny out of you, so a few beers at the bar and with your dinner or extra servings of something at a meal will run you about another $100 for the weekend. They could at least give the people paying for a room a discount of some kind for dining and having a few drinks there, but don't do that at all. We felt mislead and gouged staying here, so needless to say, we will not be returning to this place. You probably will not either when you find out how much staying there will really cost you in money and piece of mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hi there,

I just wanted to respond back to your comments here....

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us in the beginning & I would like to say I am very

sorry about your experience here at the Symphony Hotel & Restaurant.

I was never addressed with any of these issues & can assure you that if I had been I would

have done in my power what I could have to resolve any of them.

The city has been contacted about the drive a couple of times & I agree it is a narrow drive way,

however I would have been more than happy to have paid for your damage if addressed at the

time.

The employee parking situation was only temporary, because of us adding 3 new rooms,

so we have been under going construction for a few months. Our servers don't even park near

here, they are instructed to park down on the corner.

The Restaurant is separate than the hotel & we are the only ones that offer a 5 course dinner

that I know of downtown & $ 45.00 is very reasonable. The area is very up-coming & not at all

a unsafe area to walk, we definitely to not raise our prices to keep you stuck in the hotel we

encourage you to get out & visit the beautiful newly renovated area!

The ancient furniture you are referring to is actually called antiques, since all of our rooms are

named after music composers. The memory foam was added to add comfort to our guest,

but we did see a suggestion out of it & are taking all of them all off & just bought all brand new

wonderful mattresses.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion, but as I had mentioned before

If I was confronted about any of this I would have been more than happy to change what I could.

I usually always remember everyone that stays here, since we are a very small & quaint hotel.

I am usually always on premises & cannot remember who you are, but assuming you did stay

on the top floor since you had a shared bathroom. I truly apologize for your experience here

& I am sorry to hear that you will not give us another opportunity.

Thanks, Management
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Decided to stay here for our one night in Cincinnati instead of a hotel and we definitely made the right choice. Located right beside the Cincinnati Music Hall (beautiful building!) it was pretty easy to get around. Even walked into downtown because it was such a beautiful day and it only took us 20 minutes. Got there quite early in the day and dropped our bags off. When we came back our bags were in our room waiting for us! Our room was clean and quaint and the bed was very comfortable. Service was personal and top notch! We got the room with the shared bath and it was right outside our door. Loved the touch of the comfy bath robe in the closet! Would definitely stay here again thanks as well to Tim and Colleen! :-)

Room Tip: We chose the Beethoven with shared bath but others have private bath
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi there!

Thank you for the beautiful review! We are very happy as well that you chose to stay with us.

We try to make your stay " home away from home " as far as the comfort & attention goes!

Hopefully we will see you soon again & would delight in having you back!

Symphony Hotel Staff
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I feel like I found one of Cincinnati's best kept secrets! I've read reviews regarding the surroundings but PLEASE do not let that deter you from staying here because you will miss out! The area is in the midst of a revitalization but you can see the improvement.
The bed and breakfast was a gem! Very nice, cozy and historic. The staff was helpful and very polite. The room was clean and cozy. I stayed with a group of friends and we had the best time. It's rare to find a place like this. I feel lucky. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review!

The area is most definitely up & coming & old buildings are being restored everyday .

We appreciate you choosing our boutique hotel & are very delighted you stayed with us & hope

to see you again in the near future!
Rural Retreat, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a 3 night weekend get away. We had tickets to a Reds game and we wanted to check out the new Horseshoe Casino. We found the rooms to be on the small side and the bed was ok, just a little to soft for me but the room was clean. The staff was friendly and courteous.
The only thing that i did not like was the parking. Parking around back was tough to drive down this small narrow path that would scrub your tires on the sides because of it being so narrow. Other than that this was a charming place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for spending your mini vacation with us here at the Symphony Hotel!

Seems like you did quite a few fun things while you were here in Cincinnati.

We all hope to see you back soon!

Symphony Staff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We arrived a little bit before the check-in time of 3PM, so we decided to venture down Elm street to get to Findlay's Market. This was a big mistake! The street was very sketchy, with several people laying down outside and not even moving. We were asked for money several times, and I felt as if everyone in the area was watching us. Luckily we made it to the market without a problem. Coming back we took a different street and everything was fine, which tells me that while parts of OTR are coming along, other parts still need a lot of development. My best advice is to not simply follow your Google Maps on this one, and to closely monitor your surroundings, and you should be fine.

As for the Bed and Breakfast, it was a very unique experience. Colleen was very pleasant, and made us feel very comfortable. The building certainly has a cool historic charm about it, and the room was cozy and had all the accomodations we needed. Breakfast was delicious as well! I would return but be much more cautious of the neighborhood next time. I feel like I got the true slice of Cincinnati by staying here, something I could never have gotten at a 4 star hotel. In the end, the experience was definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on us here at the Symphony Hotel!

Cincinnati definitely has significantly changed from what is was 5 to 7 years ago though I have

to say..It has a lot of restoration going on & people that care about these older historic

buildings that's for sure & everyday rejuvenating!

I totally respect & glad you expressed your concern about the surroundings,

but believe in any downtown city you will see a bit of that going on.

Glad that you enjoyed your stay here & hope to see you again soon!

Thanks,
Symphony Hotel Staffing
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Beautiful. Welcoming. The 1800s Victorian is convenient to everything. Staff is warm, intelligent, helpful. Parking off street works well. Tour of the new generous additions is architecturally delightful with 2nd floor spacious and classic comfort furnished deck covered with the pergola playing with sunset lights. The first floor boutique bar includes everything for everybody. That's not all. Style and color is reflected harmoniously in every detail in the entire inn from the unique artistry of the tile work to High Victorian plasterwork with beautiful color choices in between. Selections made by staff for room amenities offer something for everyone, including outstanding chocolates for turn down gifts. Nearby was a short walk to elegant fish dinners at The Anchor plus the historic Findley Market with infinite food choices. As a historic preservationist, it is a joy to write this in hopes you enjoy Cincy to the fullest.

Room Tip: Room options include 2 bedroom room suite possibility with The Beethoven room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
OTRHotel, General Manager at Symphony Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi Cynthia,

It was such a pleasure meeting you & Drew this weekend! Thank you for the beautiful write up on

our historic OTR building & we are very pleased that you enjoyed your 3 day stay with us!

We also appreciate you coming down to dine with us in our historic dining room for dinner!

Hope your mini vacation was a very memorable experience for you & a breather for you as well...

Many Thanks, Colleen

Been to Symphony Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!