“Boca is Beautiful in every way!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Boca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,653 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, French, American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Main and Walnut
Description: Italian food with heart, elegance, and authenticity. Details and passion drive our team to create an extraordinary dining experience. The daily changing menu offers authentic Italian cuisine fashioned with contemporary French technique. Boca is for your special occasions, for meeting up with loved ones, and for anyone who revels in food, drink, and service.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Boca is Beautiful in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been to many great restaurants in many cities around the world and Boca can stand next to any of them. The space is beautifully designed with interesting touches including a huge chandelier and one raw brick wall, even the bathrooms are interesting! The service was fast and right yet never obsequious. The food fabulous including the Hamachi Crudo, the salmon and the sea bass. One tip is to sit upstairs if you can. The upstairs is more spacious and you will have more privacy than downstairs. The space between tables is perfect and the the overall vibe is upscale without being stuffy, formal or pretentious: casually elegant and tasteful to sum it up.

• Visited June 2013

Holland, Michigan
“Just what downtown Cincinnati needs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Go and experience Boca! They have transformed the old Maisonette into a fabulous contemporary setting and loaded with culinary delights! The bar area is open and lively (also noticed folks eating at the tables placed in the bar area). Our dinner was phenomenal. Our taste buds craved more. What is really cool is there are tasting & full portion options. We opted for appetizers (beet/goat cheese salad & steak Tatar (don't be afraid of it...AWESOME!)), 3 tastings (Lumache con Salsiccia Fresca, Sea Bass, Salmon) & a full beef Wellington portion to share. The wine list is extensive with price points for all budgets. The staff & service was nothing short of superb. We will be back.

Visited June 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great "new" addition to Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is probably the best restaurant in Cincinnati.
My husband and I went to the new location downtown (we've never been to the other one), and it is beautiful inside, great space and decoration, great service and great food :)
I had the Grilled Romaine, Mediterranean Sea Bass and for dessert the Brioche Bread Pudding. My husband had the Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Beef Wellington and for dessert the Panna Cotta. Everything was very good, even the fresh baked bread.
Overall was a great experience and money very well spent. This is a top restaurant in Cincinnati, you feel like you're in a big city having a great meal with 5 star service. Very hard to find service and food like this in Cincinnati.
We'll definitely come back again!

• Visited May 2013
Great White North
“Whazzz Going On With Cincinnati?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

New York? San Francisco? Paris? London? CINCINNATI? Incredible but true, maybe it's not as totally ethereal as Frenchy's in Paris, but this is, after all, C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I and for this city Boca is a home run. Let's skip the food for the moment and start with the WC's. That's Water Closets for my less worldly friends. They're uni-sex, deluxe, elegant, fun, and s-e-x-y; bulletin to the morals police: watch out for possible exciting goings-on in these way cool restrooms.

The ambience of the entire restaurant is elegant, relaxed, cozy, intimate, inviting ... completely the opposite of the original Northside joint, and, thank you very much! We hated the original so much, so cold, unfriendly, the food not all that good (if you had been anyplace else in the world!) we boycotted the Oakley place just on principle --- I will not be treated that way, anywhere. Lesson learned by Boca: everyone could not be nicer, and they have good reason to be proud. "IF" the food were mediocre here, you'd still have a great time just because of the delightfulness of the restaurant's environment and the attentiveness of the staff. The design respect's the heritage of the famous 5-Star Maisonette restaurant which occupied this location for decades, until it became passe. Fun from the wall-of-bottles bar to the display kitchen chef's counter, overseeing the grill, where we sat. Learn how to correctly prepare and slice steak while you enjoy your dinner! The whole place, upstairs and first level, all very well thought out, and, repeating myself: FUN!

Fortunately, that "IF" is not operative, not at all: the food is excellent, maybe not the best in Cincinnati, but Executive Chef Jeremy Lieb has created a superb menu, upping the ante in competitiveness for food lovers in this suddenly food over-active Ville. We enjoyed a salad of haricots verts, frisee, and slivered almonds, topped with a poached egg and a vinaigrette dressing. Dear Leader had a very tasty pasta Bolognese, and I had the Pat LaFrieda burger on a brioche bun. We sampled various wines by the glass, and for dessert we split a molten chocolate cake, very yummy. We dined the first night the restaurant was officially open to the public, so say the evening was totally free of a few miscues - as in no 'Maisonette potato pouffes,' but one could clearly see the 'bones' of the kitchen, it ran smoothly, and although from our seats overlooking the constant activity we requested several times for some 'Fireworks a la Gordon Ramsey' there were none to be had ... and we were not disappointed.

We look forward to dining here many times, and soon. Only problem: too many other favorites also here, there,and everywhere in the NEW Queen City. Such a problem to have! Cincinnati, the City That Sings, it truly sparkles today in a way it has not ever in my lifetime, and I'm a youthful 'fossil.' One can only help the city rises to the occasion and all the worthy restaurants are supported enough to prosper and keep us happy beneficiaries of this abundance of quality dining establishments sated in the 'world city' fashion to which we are quickly becoming accustomed. Boca certainly steps up with the other front runners; go, you will not be disappointed.

One final word: you need not save Boca for a 'special occasion,' for which it is ideally suited; it is also relaxed enough you can dine and enjoy it any day it is open, just on a whim, as we did when we stopped in to check it out. So glad we did, and so you will be!

• Visited May 2013
maryland
“Worth a Trip to Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First a confession: my son is in the restaurant business and I'm a former critic for a city magazine. So I look pretty hard when I try a new restaurant. I'd heard of Boca long before it moved downtown a week or so ago into the space vacated by Maisonette -- another legendary midwest restaurant.

But I wasn't really expecting one of my most satisfying restaurant experiences of the past few years. Boca occupies a stunning multi-level space which mixes grand chandeliers with modern brick and glass, exquisite art and spacious, comfortable seating. Our party of 14 [med school graduation] were expertly [and unobtrusively] served in a second-floor private room.

The food? Well, let's just say that what I tasted was perfect. Not a miss, or even a near miss. In keeping with today's fashion, most items are available as small plates or entree size. My haricot vert salad was crisp, well-dressed and served at the perfect temperature [not pre-made and pulled from a fridge]. The sea bass, first pan roasted then presented with bouillabaisse-styled broth, layered a whiff of saffron on to exquisitely fresh fish. Amish chicken, cooked sous-vide then finished on the grill with mushrooms and truffles transformed what's so often a mundane entree into a fresh-from-the-field dish that, yes, tasted like chicken. But, oh what a chicken.
Caramelized brussels sprouts, now a standard on modern menus, were the best I've tasted [and I've tried a bunch]: sweet, tender, tangy.

Desserts matched entrees for quality and execution.

My only regret? You couldn't create a restaurant of this quality at this price point in DC or New York. With most appetizers and small plates priced in the mid-teens and entrees below $30 [except for steaks], a huge staff including at least ten cooks on the line, and award-class decor -- the economics simply wouldn't work.

My advice: buy the plane ticket, stay at a nice hotel and treat yourself to what I'm sure will be one of your most memorable restaurant experiences. It was one of mine.

Visited May 2013