“Loved this restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchids at Palm Court

Orchids at Palm Court
35 W 5th St, Cincinnati, OH 45202-2801 (Central Business District)
513-421-9100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Orchids at Palm Court is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 1,725 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Race Street
Transit: TANK bus stop across Race Street. Metro bus stop within one block.
Description: Orchids at Palm Court is an award-winning fine dining restaurant located in the National Historic Landmark Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza. Executive Chef Todd Kelly is the American Culinary Federation's 2011-2012 USA Chef of the Year, the highest honor given by the 50,000+ chef organization. “Top Cincinnati Restaurant” by Zagat (2011, 2012, 2013) and named "One of the Top 100 Restaurants in USA" and "One of the Top 100 for Best Service in USA" by OpenTable, 2011, 2012 & 2013; AAA 4 Diamond (2006-2012). Orchids offers a contemporary American menu that is seasonally updated with local ingredients. With breathtaking French Art Deco including two-story Romanesque murals, rare Brazilian rosewood, German silver-nickel wall sconces & an original Rookwood fountain featuring two large seahorses all restored to the 1930s grandeur. Complimentary valet parking.
Riverside, CA
“Loved this restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love their food. They are very cutting edge blending different flavors and interesting combinations. Had Tuna crudo (Yum), soft shell grab, Lobster salad, Lamb and Veal and Scallops. Their menu is limited but it changes. We ate there twice. Their desserts are to die for and the little goodie pack that you take home is scrumptious. The wait staff is very attentive without being overbearing. You should not miss this if visiting the area.

Visited July 2013

91% Recommend
Cedarville, Ohio
“Service was great, food tried a lttle too hard.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I went to Orchids for our 32 year anniversary. The setting is grand and you get neck strain looking at the 1920/30's ornate furnishings. The tables are separated by a greater distance than average...so you don't feel like you are right on top of the neighbors. Gives a greater sense of privacy. The wait staff to diner ratio is very high. At least five individuals attended us in a very choreographed team. Some times it did seem a bit contrived but most of the time it seemed very natural to be attended to in this manner in such a grand setting. The food was fair to excellent but in my opinion suffered from an overemphasis of innovation over taste. The mix of ingredients seemed like a "Chopped" basket! My lobster salad was fantastic, the pea soup good and the duck fat roasted salmon was fair. The duck fat gave the salmon a old bacon grease flavor that was unpleasant. My wife's squash blossom and grits was very delicious. But her chicken entree was a little tough. So would be go back...probably. Would we recommend it to friends? As an experience ...yes...but you have to have an adventurous palate. I did not think the prices to be that outrageous.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, NC USA
“The absolute finest service !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

While the food was excellent , the service was impeccable. The finest restaurant service I have ever received. Delightful dinner!

Visited June 2013
Lincoln Nebraska
“The food is the art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Orchids at Palm Court
This review needs a preface. While on a traveling vacation with my family, Thomas #3, wanted to see the best zoo in the country.. reviewed as the Cincinnati Zoo. I noticed that there was a “dining special - 2/1” at many of the best restaurants. On a whim, having never been to Cincinnati, a review mentioned Orchids at Palm Court, and this was the last day of the special.

We arrived at the lobby of the Hilton and I thought there is no way this is going to be a great restaurant. The bustling lobby and the restaurant were only separated by a low wall. We walked in and we were immediately welcomed and seated. I was still a little apprehensive, I mean get serious, this is the fanciest restaurant I ever sat in. A young waitress immediately arrived at our table with the menus. Yikes! But with the special... However she informed me that they had ended the “special” yesterday! On seeing the ashen look on my face, my wife whispered across the table”maybe we should leave”.
For those of you who are rich, you can skip this. I did some quick calculations, dinner -6- $300-$400 plus tip,.... did I have enough room on my card. it was going to be close. What the heck... I asked for the wine list, to the shocked look on my wifes face.

Review - Food from an Artist

“To give life to beauty, the painter uses a whole range of colours, musicians of sounds, the cook of tastes — and it is indeed remarkable that there are seven colours, seven musical notes and seven tastes.”
Lucien Tendret (1825-1896)

Our very personable and helpful waitress, a fellow college student, quickly gained rapport with my four college students and away we went. Into an elaborate orchestra of visual, textural and intricate tastes. Each dish was presented with flair. The main course were brought out by many of the wait staff and presented simultaneously. I ordered the lamb, but everyone at our table tasted everyone elses.Someone seemed to like us, as the “chef-waitress-manager?” seemed to keep bringing us small exquisite tastings, although they may do that for everyone. And through the dessert we hovered in a heavenly cloud where food and art were closely intertwined. Not a single bite was wasted anywhere. (Thomas made sure of that) Total bill with tip about $ 400.

By the way, that bill is long paid, and I can honestly say I would gladly go there again, though, maybe one day earlier. Thanks to the restaurant staff and particularly the chef, for the best meal our family has ever eaten out.

Excellent,Excellent, Excellent
35 W. Fifth St., Hilton Netherland Plaza Hotel, Downtown, 513-421-9100. Open 7 days. $23-$65 (for the “tasting” platters).

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Perfect for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary at Orchids, and had an absolutely amazing experience. The food was phenomenal. We had a perfectly cooked soft shell crab for our first course. Our chateaubriand was cooked exactly to our requests, and so tender that it melted in our mouths. Before dessert, our server brought us out a plate with little desserts with "Happy anniversary" written on it in chocolate. Our dessert was an imaginative blend of flavors, and just divine.

Although the food was absolutely delicious, it was the attentive service that really made our experience so wonderful. Everyone who served us knew to wish us a happy anniversary. Multiple people came by to pour water, bring us little tidbits between meals, and they even replaced by napkin with a fresh, folded one when I walked away from the table. My husband had ordered a second course, but I didn't, not wanting to fill up before our entrees. However, they thoughtfully brought me out a small taste of one of their other second course dishes, just so I'd have something to eat along with him. Our meal here was a wonderful experience, and I'd highly recommend it to others.

• Visited June 2013