“Excellent! Amazing customer service very beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Hotel and Conference Center

You added Crown Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Crown Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11320 Chester Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45246 (Formerly CoCo Key Water Resort)   |
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
“Excellent! Amazing customer service very beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is the best hotel we've been to in awhile. Everything was great amazing customer service very clean & the pools and grounds were very clean. There is also a water park in the hotel which is great for the kids. The hotel is modern & up to date. The staff was very helpful and they go out of the way to help

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our family booked this hotel for our large family reunion. This hotel received $99 per night for almost 200 people and we will never use this hotel again! The carpet was filthy, air conditioners in some of the rooms went out, bathrooms were dirty and a majority of the staff was clueless!

Our family was promised this hotel would be renovated prior to our family reunion. They lied! This hotel was booked almost 6 months in advance! Do not give them your money!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I checked in late on a Thursday evening for business. When we were on the road and I called to confirm our reservation that we had made a year in advance. When I called the phone number for the hotel I was connected to an agent for Crowne Plaza hotels who said that since it was after 6PM and we weren’t there yet that there wasn’t a room saved for us. I called the number back and asked to be connected to the front desk of the hotel and the clerk said that they didn’t know what the other person was talking about and that we did have a room. It's like no one knew what was going on. Really reassuring....

Upon arrival to our room, there was a moldy smell in the bathroom. We noticed a complete lack of outlets to plug in any devices such as computers or cell phones. When we went to use the sink in the bathroom, it wouldn’t drain. We had to request that it be fixed three separate times before they finally took care of it. They didn’t even clean up after they were done and there was drain sludge all over the counter and mirror.

The worst was when I came back from the fitness center and tried to get in the side door of the hotel. My key card wouldn’t work and I went to the front desk to have it replaced. Long story short it took them 30 minutes to get me into my room and I was almost late to a meeting! When I left I let them know at the front desk that I would be vacating the room and asked that when I returned 8 hours later, I would appreciate that mine and my husband’s keys be replaced and the door lock fixed. When we returned from our meetings, we stopped by the front desk to pick up our room keys. They looked our room number up in the computer and said that they unfortunately could not give us our room keys because there had been a lock on our account and that it would be another 30 minutes before they could let us in. That is when I told the front desk that we WILL be checking out! We heard people in the elevators complaining about their key cards not working as well so it wasn't just us.

Some of the other business professionals that we knew who were in the area were also staying there and they had cases of bed bugs and found very inappropriate items in the desk drawers of their rooms, which apparently were not cleaned. Everyone also was very disappointed at the cost of drinks at the bar. $9.00 for a simple drink in a small glass is ridiculous. I would expect to pay that in Chicago but Sharonville? Really?

Also, the elevators are really slow and this hotel is connected to a waterpark which is overrun with kids!

We will NEVER stay here again….

Room Tip: Stay at the Drury Inn down the road!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear lilbaby21577,

As always we are glad to read feedback from one of our valued guests. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very encouraging. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay. We apologize for the unusual smell in the bathroom, condition of the drains, key cards and elevator services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

While I understand your stay was not 100% as it should have been. I do hope you can stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Waterford, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have just returned from my stay at the Crowne Plaza Cincinnati Hotel North. I was there for the Stamp Away USA convention. My roommate and I checked in and were given room 242. When we entered the room there was an indescribable stench coming from the window and the temp in the room was 78 degrees. We called and requested to be moved to another room and were given 247. The temperature was equally uncomfortable so we called guest service and they informed us all maintenance men were currently unavailable. They walked us through a turn off turn on routine which was supposed to adjust the thermostat. One hour later the room was still uncomfortably warm. By this time it was 9:45 and we decided to get something to eat and come back. Big Surprise it was still uncomfortable. We chose to just sleep there and fix it in he am. After our first class the next morning I headed to guest service and requested to once again be moved. They were accommodating but my roommate was tired of room jumping and decided to deal with the heat. I was not staying in an overheated room one more second. It was 98 outdoors and not much cooler in our room! So the manager on duty Alex Peake gave me a room two doors down which was cool!
Th next morning house keeping tried kicking my roomy out of 247 because we were now assigned 252. She went down to the front desk and made sure she could stay. When I went to the lobby to be sure I could also stay, the customer service Manager Hang Bauer charged me $266.68 for my new room! I told her flat out I would not stay in room 247 until maintenance did something about the air condition problem. She very rudely informed me that was not her problem and if I chose to keep the new room the charge would stay. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and she shouted I am the manager!
Saturday my roommate checked out of the hotel because she couldn't take the temp and if she was going to pack up and move it was only to leave!! She left me stranded and drove home.

When I went down to the front desk to ask for help locating transportation home I was greeted by the most wonderful staff I have ever met. Shonda Yancey was polite, empathetic and went out of her way to do anything she could to help. She even brought me a banana from her own lunch because she knew I hadn't eaten!! She pulled a number of transportation options up on her computer and assisted in booking my travel home. One of the housekeeping staff, Renee Harris actually hugged me and gave me a card for the rental agency across the street from the hotel and then personally walked me to my room. Alex Peake the manager on duty the night I switched rooms actually phoned my room to personally check on me and reassured me that they would do whatever they could to be of assistance. Samantha Shatto another memeber of management refunded my card for the one night stay and assured me everything would be ok.

When I went to the lobby to check out and inquired about transportation to the rental agency once again Hang Bauer was present and she informed me that they offered no shuttle service at all to any destination and that the card she handed me would be the only help she would give!!
I phoned the service and they wanted $50.00 to drive me 1.7 miles to the car rental company I wanted to scream!! I had just about enough of this crap and requested a phone book so I could find my own transportation. Hang said No we are not required to offer this service, and they had no concierge service available. I walked the 1.7 miles with the majority of my luggage and secured the rental on my own. I will never again stay at any facility owned by this company. I was miserable and stressed the entire trip!!

In the past I have stayed at other hotels in the area for the convention and will certainly do so in the future. I am amazed that Hang Bauer is the Customer Service manager. She is by far the rudest , most nasty, unfriendly, customer service person I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. Her staff however are the most wonderful group of people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They treated me like family, went above and beyond the call of duty and extended caring and kindness that I will never forget.
I had dinner that evening in the hotel restaurant Tribute. The food was incredibly delicious and the bartender was friendly and had a great sense of humor. I enjoyed my meal and ordered dessert to go. The Apples Foster is amazing!
I would have overlooked the shabby state of the carpets, the sinks that would not drain, the musty smell coming from the parking lot and the overall poor condition of the facility if it hadn't been for Hang Bauer. The way she joyfully informed me that the hotel is under no obligation to provide any service other than to hand you a card with the name of a transportation service on it, made me ill.
She has zero customer service skills and even less management skills, she actually shouted at her employees in front of other hotel guests and behaved in in overall obnoxious manner.
I believe the fact they employ Hang Bauer to be their customer service representative says more about this company than any other feature. She is the face of this company, the person each guest will encounter during their stay and I will not make the mistake of ever booking a reservation at this location. It is sound advice you should follow unless you enjoy being treated like a common nuisance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was worried about this stay after reading reviews - however I found it so much better than I thought (and I am very picky about hotels). They are in process of updating but even with that my room (and hall on my floor) were fine. The common area & convention area are very nice (I was with a convention and in several of the meeting rooms - all were very nice). My room was very clean & comfortable. The front desk staff was awesome and really went out of their way to help. My only complaints are that I struggled to get seated at the restaurant - never seemed to be anyone in charge of seating - I flat out left one night after standing and waiting several minutes. Also it was a little uncomfortable sharing elevators with laundry carts and VERY vocal housekeeping staff (had to listen to some interesting conversations). Overall though I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Typical check-in lobby seemed clean & very open however dated. Staff seemed very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were nearer to the back of the property so we drove around. We get to the back of the building an tall grass, weeds and over grown hedges consume the area and I am getting a faint unpleasant smell. We parked near the entry door, got out and got slapped in the face by a heavy ammonia stench, like a very unclean litter box. I dismiss it because this is Crowne Plaza & I have never had any issue with HI properties.

There is always a 1st, and this was it. The carpet in the hallways were filthy, stained beyond just being worn & the smell is still very pundgent. This went beyond being old & dated. The room was musty, I struggled to get the air on as Im telling my children don't take your shoes off nor unpack, we're not staying. Being that my credit card has already been swipped & the full two day stay authorized we, were stuck. No mention from the desk staff of full charges being required even if using a credit card not just debit/check cards. I asked to be moved to a better updated floor & what I got wasn't much better. Only difference, the stench is now gone. You know I can honestly say after completely sanitizing the bathroom & bed, the bed was very comfortable, not the slumber/sleep special I'm accustom to from crowne but I slept well.

The next afternoon returning to the hotel the power is out, due to the severe weather. Understanable, an act of God. So I asked the front desk about their generator and was told it's being worked on. With daylite still remaining but the storm still very active we go up to rest. Thank goodness we're only on the 2nd & 3rd floors & another 1st. I'm by the exit door and very happy about it. Approximatley 2 hours later still no power, nothing from hotel staff not even an update. Hearing movement in the stairwells, my child looks out the peep hole & claims someone had their hand over the hole because they can't see anything. Well low & behold the hallway is PITCH BLACK, now no emergency lights either. Only the exit sign is lit, and that is faint. No staff has come by with any update not even a flashlight nothing. Still having some daylite remaining but fearing returning to this same darkness, we check out. Making it down the stairwells, children & bags intow with just cell phone lite we get to the lobby where flashlights are now given if requested. We asked to speak with a manager, whom was called several times, but never appeared & were offered the option to cancel remaining day(s) check out & we would be refunded as soon as power was restored. But the hotel was not comping anyone at any other hotel, they had no partner hotels & no vouchers would be given. They could only give the telephone numbers for hotels with vacancies.
This was a very disappointing stressful and exhaustive trip. I will never stay @ THIS LOCATION EVER an am now rethinking my trust in Crowne Plaza & the HI chain.

Finally got my refund just under two weeks later.

Room Tip: Ask to see their standard room, not their model or staged room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayewd here for a short visit for my husbands business trip which we decided to make a family get-away. It's a large conference hotel and recently rehabbed. It also has a Cocokeys water park which was a plus with the kids. We checked in and what should have been a smooth check-in as we are Priority Club members turned into an over-charge plus attitude from the front desk clerk. We got it straightened out and all seemed fine. The kids I hit the pool which were really nice. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. After that we had lunch via room service which went smoothly. That night after hitting the pool again, we decided to eat in the restaurant but the bartender was rude to my 11-year old son and told him he couldn't be served unless he put shirt on. Now it wasn't the fact that he wanted him to put on a shirt but his tone and directing it to a child instead of the parent. Needless to say we did not stay and reported it to management. The next day we had breakfast in the restaurant and had the buffet which was ok for price. They did not include breakfast in room price. The service was very good. Even my 9-year old commented on how good he was. Later that day there was very inclement weather with tornado like winds and the hotel lost power. Obviously this was out of their control. We decided to go out to dinner and a movie to kill time and wait for power to be restored. Only our hotel and the one next to us lost power. Across the street had power. Upon returning from the festivities we found power still out. They were moving people to another hotel and they would still be charged their room rate or you could cancel your stay and be refunded. Since my husbands business was finished and Coco Keys was closed due to no power we decided to head home. The staff handed the power outage quite well but the after of getting a copy of our bill for the the other part of stay took six days with numerous calls. the rudeness of the staff would stop me from staying there again. I would visit Coco Keys as we didn't get a chance to try them out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crown Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!