“I wish I would have read the reviews before I planned the stay” 1 of 5 stars

Budget Host Town Center Motel
3356 Central Pkwy, Cincinnati, OH 45225   |
Ranked #47 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Lake, West Virginia, United States
“I wish I would have read the reviews before I planned the stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was not expecting a perfect room. While you do get what you pay for, I can't help but to think I got the short end of the stick on this deal. It was a little creepy. The staff was very nice, but other than that I cannot say anything good. We got 2 rooms. One was smoking and one was non-smoking. The non-smoking room was burnt worse than the smoking room. Someone had used the ice bucket as an ashtray. The bedding was all burned up. One set of pillows had no pillow cases. Neither of the bathroom doors latch. One floor lamp was placed in the corner because it was broken and had to be propped up on the wall. The lamps on the tables did not work. The room was just dirty. We turned the a/c over to fan only and it just about smelled up the room so bad that we couldn't stand it. One of the smoke detectors had fallen out of the holder and was hanging by wires and one of the pictures on the wall was hanging upside down. I could go on and on. I would not recommend this place to anybody. I felt like lots of shady deals go down there. I would never go back. Couldn't wait to get up and get out of there in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel because the price was so affordable and the location so convenient. I tried to go with an open mind, but sadly cannot recommend it. The hotel definitely has a seedy, rundown vibe. There were several notices posted at check-in that there were no refunds after you checked in – most likely due to the large number of travelers who took one look at their room and immediately wanted their money back.

The negatives: My room had a musty smell. The room was cold. It took several hours to warm up (but then stayed pretty toasty). The bathroom sink and tub were old and stained (but not really dirty). The towels were paper thin. There are no amenities as advertised: No internet access that I was aware of, no clock, no coffee machine (although there was a pot behind the desk in the lobby and they would give you coffee if you asked). Only toiletries in room were two small bars of soap, no shampoo. I seriously doubt the pool is ever open.

The positives: I think housecleaning tried to keep the rooms clean (or maybe I was just lucky). Items were more stained than actually dirty (although I did look behind a table for an outlet and that wasn’t pretty). There was also an in-tub mat provided and it looked worse than the tub so I took my chances with the tub. The shower actually worked very well. I didn’t get bedbugs. As cheap as everything else was, they actually used premium toilet paper. They did have a TV with a lot of basic channels but I’m pretty sure no premium channels. My remote control died but I assume they would have given me new batteries if I asked. The price was great. I claimed the government discount and they never asked to see my ID. The location is convenient. Free parking. I did sleep well (after the heat finally kicked in) but I normally use earplugs anyway so your mileage may vary.

Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel. It was just too seedy. If you think you can handle it, I recommend asking to see a room first and having a back-up plan before you plunk down any money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
northeast usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

It was 2 am when our van of 10ppl arrived or we would left immediately. Through our tinted windows we watched as the one desk clerk was falling asleep and popping pills from her purse. The room smelled like a casino carpet, full of smoke and ash. The Mattresses literally had holes in them( I checked for bed bugs but surprisingly did not find them) EVERYTHING was stained-sheets, towels, shower curtains. The shower/tub took 20 minutes to fully drain. The "swimming pool" was empty of water and unfunctional. This place was gross, i couldnt wait to wake up and leave.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

King size room was nice and well furnished. Price was great. Night was quiet, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I'm from Cincinnati but live in Columbus now but I occasionally go back to catch a ball game or two. I'm not the type to splurge on hotels, so I usually look for an affordable place to stay. I typically stay at this motel since it's cheap and a short drive to the stadium. Some of the other reviews seem a bit harsh as I've had no problems with each of my stays. My room is always clean and I usually just crash while watching a bad movie on HBO after the game. Bottom line, it's an affordable place that's right by downtown.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
atl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

this is my second time staying here. one in 2007 and 2010. again we had low budget. so despite the bad reviews below, we decided to stay here. it was OK. i mean it is not a 4 star hotel. but i have to tell you that everything got better than 2007.

pro: location and service
con: it could be little cleaner. but it was ok.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

After reading all the terrible reviews, I thought I was heading to the Bates motel. I was surprised to see that it was in a nice neighborhood and that the rooms were clean. For those of you expecting a stay at the Ritz Carlton, stay away. This rooms are dated, but the location and price was perfect for my business needs. I feel like some of these reviews are by people that are looking for a 5 star experience for a 2 star price. Anyone traveling for business in the downtown area or doing a campus tour of UC or XU, this is a very convenient and affordable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Budget Host Town Center Motel? Share your experiences!