“Had to leave in middle of the night, it was so bad” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati

Save Saved
You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11180 Dowlin Dr., Cincinnati, OH 45241 (Formerly Arcadia Residential)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #12 of 48 hotels in Cincinnati
Columbus, Ohio
“Had to leave in middle of the night, it was so bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

First off, what they don't tell you: this is one of those extended stay, pay by the week, places with a lot of transients coming and going. Its cleaned once mid-week, and this is NOT your standard business traveler hotel. They also ask you to pay for your whole stay up front when you check in. Therefore I paid for my 2 night stay in advance. This place is a dump, they treat you like crap, and could care less.

After I entered my room, I quickly noticed a strange chemical smell, and a very strong cigarette smoke odor, even though I had requested and been booked into a nonsmoking room. Thinking maybe I might be mistaken, I stepped out for dinner, and upon my return, the odor was no better. I called the front desk, and was told they were completely booked and there was no other room to relocate me to, and further, that they could not refund my money if I checked out then and there. They offered to bring up some room sprays, and I agreed.

I first tried the Febreeze, but it was unhelpful. I then tried the next product, called OdoBan. I immediately recognized the same strong chemical smell I encountered upon previously entering my room. It did nothing to cover the vast amount of smoke smell. It became clear and obvoius to me that they had taken a smoking room, and sprayed it with vast amounts of chemical to make it "nonsmoking" for me. You can't spray a smoker's room and then turn around and deem it nonsmoking ! I'm not sure that its even legal to do this.

By this time, I had started frequent coughing, and I'm not even all that sensitive to smoke smell; it was just that there was so much of it. I called back down to the front desk, and told them I didn't think I could take it anymore. Their response was to tell me to open my windows for fresh air. I would have tried to, except that they were stuck shut. I was again told I would not be given a refund for the night, no matter what.

By 3:00 am I was physically affected by so much coughing, that I packed my bags and left in the middle of the night. Upon check-out, I re-explained why I had to leave, and asked that a refund be made, at least for the upcoming night that I had paid for and would not be staying for. I was assured that would happen. It's now been about 20 days, and I'm still waiting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
hawthorncincy, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We apologize that the guest was under the impression that she booked a non-smoking room. We confirmed this in our system as well as our central reservations department that the guest did indeed book a smoking one bedroom suite. We were sold out that evening and therefore could not accommodate her request to move to a non-smoking room. The front desk agent willingly tried to meet her needs with the issue.
The hotel was not aware that she had departed early morning. Upon completing our investigation we did refund both nights back to her credit card despite the fact that she booked a smoking room.
It is our mission to exceed each guest’s expectation and achieve 100% guest satisfaction.
Hawthorn Suites is primarily catered towards daily business stays. Rooms are serviced on a daily basis.
It is standard policy for every hotel to pre-authorize a guest credit card upon check in.

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Torn and stained sheets and food left in kitchen drain. Entire hotel had a dim, dreary feel to it, and there was a musty, smoke like odor throughout the hallways and the room. The carpets in the hallways and the wallpaper were stained and badly dated. The room seemed recently up to date. There are much better places for less money in the area. We saw it listed on Tripadvisor as a good value for the money, but I have stayed at other motels in the area for less money. Not a good value at any price. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
hawthorncincy, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Our hotel gets many guest compliments on how clean and how nice it looks. All maintenance and cleaning issues are taken very seriously here. I have shared your experience with all the staff members and we all had the same shocked expression upon reading your comments on our facility.
Our staff is committed to rectify any issue raised by our guests, as soon as they are brought to our attention. After reviewing our records, we have found no documentation of any guest raising any such concerns with us for the dates described.
We are having an extremely hard time verifying your stay with us. We would like to reach out to you to give you our sincerest apologies. Please call us at 513-354-1000 so we may address your concerns to your satisfaction.
Berea, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My Dad works at Toyota in Georgetown, KY Every year Toyota pays for us to go to Kings Island. We never stayed at a hotel after Kings Island. This year we decided we would. The reason being we never stayed coming back would be because its not that long back to our house from there. I fount this hotel online for loding near kings island. There are several reasonable room types to choose from. We had five people with us. We chose the 2 Bd Suite. It has an individual complete bathroom in each bedroom. Both of the beds in the rooms were comfortable. I slept on the sofa bed. It wasn't obviously in the best shape. The mattress was really worn out. It wasn't a big deal since it was just one night. I didn't think nothing of it because it really wasn't that uncomfortable. There was a full kitchenette in the suite. We stayed in 125 on the first floor. We were told they had three of those and that they were stacked on top of each other in the three floor hotel. That I believe is 125, 225, 325. There were 3 flatscreen T.V.'s in the suite. WiFi was weird it would take forever to open the internet up. Once you had opened up the internet it was fine and reliable and pretty fast. My only true real complaint I had was the indoor pool. It was nice and clean. The water was pretty much freezing. It kinda wasn't bad once you were in there a while. Would I stay here again? Yes if it was only for a short stay. I am not saying its a bad place to stay I am just spoiled and used to condos. This was the first hotel I have stayed in a few years. The free Breakfast was hot. I think it could of been slightly better. It was good though for it to be free. They had eggs, bacon, Coffee, Juice, Cereal, Muffins, Bagels, McMuffins, Toast, French Toast, etc. My only issue was the bacon. The first bit that was cooked I thought could of been cooked a little longer. That is just a personal preference of mine. The check in process was easy and fairly quick had a few people ahead of us. There were a few cons I mentioned. I think though there are more pros than cons. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. There are several things to do and places to eat nearby this hotel. If you need a room for overnight in this area this is a great place to stay. If it happened to be full there is plenty of other good lodging nearby this in the same area. A good tip is to get room 125 if you need a 2bd suite because its right near the stairs and exit as well as next door to the pool. I am not sure if they could of turned it up or not. The tax included it was 166.63 for the room for the night. The livingroom tv also had a DVD player in it. I am not sure if I will stay at this hotel next time I am in the area. I am sure I will in the future again though. The guest laundry and vending room prices are actually reasonable. If this was a hotel back where I live the guest laundry and vending would not be reasonable.

Room Tip: If you need a 2Bd suite see if you can get room 125 its next door to the stairs and exit to the park...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have frequented this establishment within the past year on business and can safely say that it has been a joy. The staff is professional, but at the same time friendly and inviting. The rooms are fairly inexpensive and manage to maintain a cozy atmosphere. I also enjoy the fact that this hotel is located next to the main highways (Interstates 75 and 275) which gives me plenty of options to travel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
hawthorncincy, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
We greatly appreciate your kind words about your stay here at Hawthorn Suites Cincinnati!
We look forwards to seeing you here again soon.

As always, guests are more than welcome to call us directly at 513-354-1000.

Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My mom stayed one night here and was bitten quite a few times. When she arrived at her final destination she found a bed bug in her suitcase. After the fact, I did look and this hotel was not on the bed bug registry and I only read a review back in 2010 that indicated they had bed bugs. It looks like they are back at this hotel. My mom enjoyed the hotel, but it is embarrasing and troubling that she now has to deal with this problem.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hawthorncincy, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to express your concern. We take all complaints on bed bugs very seriously.

Immediately after the guest checked out, we had the room inspected by our maintenance staff and our professional pest control company. They could not find any signs or evidence of bed bugs or any signs of previous bed bug infestation. We have also invited the health department to inspect the room too.

We are aware that this guest’s one night stay is one of her many stops on her traveling itinerary.

We have bed bug-proof encasements on every mattress, box spring, and pillow. Every room gets monthly pest control treatment.
When a room is brought to our attention about any pest issues, the room is shut down for inspection and treatment.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am currently in the midst of a 20 night stay. Good hotel for the price and I enjoyed my first 10 nights here. Unfortunately, the room above mine got occupied a few nights ago and the noise is awful! Every foot step from above makes a loud thundering noise in my room. The bathroom is even worse. I can hear everything that goes on in there, from toilet flushing to voices. Last night I even had the pleasure of hearing the couple above doing the deed. I would advise anyone considering staying here to request a top floor room to avoid the headache I'm dealing with right now.

Room Tip: Top floor only
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

What an amazing experience we had at this hotel!

From the moment we walked in, we were treated as valued, appreciated customers. The desk staff was friendly, courteous, and very helpful. The fresh (non-stop!) chocolate chip cookies at the front desk didn't hurt.

Our room was beyond nice. For $69...we were blown away at the space on this one room efficiency. Our pets were welcomed and loved the place, as well. Good sized bathroom, full kitchen with double sink, stove, plates, pots, pans, glasses, a full fridge with an ice maker, huge flat screen TV, and wi-fi that actually works and is speedy.

The breakfasts were yummy and very convenient. AND...a couple of the nights we stayed, they had free "social hour" food in the lobby. One night consisted of complimentary Chinese food and the other was pizza. There's free coffee 24/7 in the lobby.

In addition to a soda machine, snacks, and energy drinks, there's also a wash room where the laundry is only $.75 per load and $1.00 for the dryer (or maybe that's reversed. LOL!) And the dryer actually DRIES your clothes. There's a very tiny work out room and there's plenty of parking.

The only complaint was the pool was FREEZING. Unbearably so to the point where we couldn't even get in. We really wanted to exercise that way...perhaps they can crank up the heat a little.

Also, outside, there's a BBQ area where you can grill out and sit and eat. Very nice.

Conveniently located off the interstate and surrounded by stores and restaurants.

Love this place and can't wait to come back in October of this year. A great value for the money, a wonderful staff, and a safe, enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were told #315 is the best room in the building. #214 wasn't bad at all. = )
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
hawthorncincy, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words on our staff and establishment. We look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion/s back in October!

315 is a very nice two bedroom suite in the building but have you taken a look at the Jacuzzi room yet? The Jacuzzi is in the bedroom.

As always, people looking for a room are than welcome to call us or visit us at the number/address listed above the photos.

Shaun Pan

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati? Share your experiences!