“Just Okay” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sitwell's Coffee House
324 Ludlow Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45220-2003 (Clifton)
513-281-7487
Neighborhood: Clifton
Columbus, Ohio
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We love to go to local coffee shops in every city we visit but this one wasn't a favorite. Just wanting a coffee to go and not sitting down felt awkward. The staff acted like not many people wanted coffee to go. Decorations are a bit extreme and the place isn't the cleanest. To top it all off the coffee was okay but nothing worth going back for the next day.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great coffee and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

They have free wi-fi and great coffee. Their service is good and quick enough to stop in for a bite before seeing a movie at the Esquire. This is a college town / neighborhood so you will likely see a wide variety of people (so people watching will be part of the night's entertainment.)

Visited August 2012
“Great Coffee Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I used to visit this coffee place often when I was in school and I absolutely love this place. They have amazing coffee and very interesting coffee cocktail drinks. I have never really tried their food though.

Overall I would say this is a fine coffee place with great comfortable ambiance.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“- Inside Story -”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I have worked at this establishment for the past few months and was very disappointed when the negatives came to light. After being a diligent employee and receiving praise from the owner, I put in my 2 weeks. Immediately afterward, I was fired, erased from the schedule, banned from the restaurant and denied my last two checks, without a reason. From inside experience - this place is fantastic when the owner is not around. I went for years before I was hired. The servers are great, the food is inexpensive and local, and the place itself is very cozy and focused on art. There are tons of regulars and the music is generally good when there is someone in charge of music. However, the owner is on all kinds of pills, smokes everything, and drinks heavily daily. She uses threats and intimidation to drive her past employees into a corner. She not only fired me, but she fired the person I am dating as well, who also rents an apartment from her. Since she refused to sign a lease for him, she is evicting him within the week. She routinely takes money out of her employee's checks and makes up numbers for her books. She uses foul and rude language, makes fun of minorities and heavyset people, and has forged signatures on checks.

No one I know will be supporting this place any longer.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“I highly advise you go elsewhere.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was just there today with my son, getting a smoothie for him on our way to run some errands. I've lived in Clifton for 19 years and know Sitwells well, but I rarely go in because of these issues:

1. Nobody even noticed our presence for at least 5 minutes. We were right there, in the front, at the bar. The place was not crowded at all. The waitress was beyond stressed though, you could tell. Owner was ranting and raving to a customer, didn't notice us. Poor management.

2. Finally the stressed waitress asks if she can help us and I ask what kind of smoothies they had. She was kind enough but it was as though I asked her the question that was going to send her right over the edge for that day. She was stressed and frazzled. Again,t he place wasn't crowded, but it wasn't a friendly atmosphere at all.

3. Ordered the smoothies. In the meantime, I get the pleasure of listening to the owner complain about the people who go to La Poste (I'm one of them) being from Hyde Park, coming into her place and looking around. "They're scared" she said. I think the real issue is that her place is kind of dirty and they are looking at that. And there is an odor about it, can't put my finger on it but there's an unappealing odor.

4. Owner goes on to tell the same La Poste story to multiple customers, some issue about parking, and she's loud, using the "F" word over and over, co-mingled with other 4 letter words, loud, obnoxious, terribly un-welcoming.

5. FIFTEEN minutes later the woman working behind the bar realizes she hasn't made our smoothie. She finally makes it in less than 2 minutes. But really, it took 15 minutes to get one smoothie. She also seemed cranky and unhappy.

The owner was worried about her lease and about the landlord wanting to put something else in her space. After the experience I had today, I would welcome a clean, uplifting, enjoyable coffee house in that space. Eclectic doesn't have to mean ugly, unfriendly and a trifle dirty.

• Visited August 2011