“Restaurant not as good as it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cumin Eclectic Cuisine
3520 Erie Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45208 (Hyde Park)
513.871.8714
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cumin Eclectic Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #216 of 1,721 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Indian, Eclectic, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
cincinnati
“Restaurant not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Last week was my wife's birthday and she chose Cumin for dinner to celebrate. A few years ago we had a wonderful dinner of Indian dishes at Cumin. We were aware the menu had changed but thought it would be high quality. It was mediocre. My wife had salmon that was overcooked and I had Paella which was mostly rice and not particularly tasty. It is relatively pricy for the quality of the good. Our server was god and the atmosphere continues to be fine.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Borderline horrendous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Apparently there was some sort of
"Computer problem" when we were there tonight, but it took a full 90 minutes for our entrees - which were tasty but extremely pedestrian - to arrive. After asking for the entrees to be comped, for the delay, which they were, all would have been forgiven until the owner came over and basically chewed us out. We will never return.

Durban, South Africa
“Flavors didn't quite mesh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently had a 3 course tasting menu here. The courses sounded great: a caprese salad, Mediterranean lamb with a veg bake and for the vegetarian in our party a deconstructed succotash, and a tuna tartare. Presentation was beautiful but the flavors just didn't integrate. The wine list is impressive and there are some very nice half bottle options. We had a great Andre Brunel chateauneuf du Pape 2007. Great bottle. We also got a nice complimentary dessert - a passion fruit soup with crime caramel in the middle with a generous half glass of rosé. Nice touch. We have had good meals here before so I would certainly give this place another chance. Maybe just an off night?

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“We almost left (thought it was still Indian)...glad we stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We lived in Hyde Park years ago, when Cumin was an Indian restaurant. I was in the mood for Indian, so hubby suggested Cumin. When we got there, the menu was very clearly NOT Indian and we were disappointed. "Should we leave?" "No, I can find something on the menu, let's just stay."

Boy, I'm so glad we stayed! The food was eclectic, seasonal, and superb! I felt like I was living an episode of Top Chef! I had the beet salad (yum) and he had the compressed watermelon (weird, yet tasty). We shared the scallop (silky and subtle) and I had the ahi tuna ceviche (bright and pungent...didn't share much...mine, mine, mine!) Hubby ordered the sous-vide chicken with fried green tomatoes. That one was not our favorite.

I can't think of anywhere else in Cincinnati where you can find food like this. I once went to Jean Robert for my birthday and I think I enjoyed my meal at Cumin just as much. So pleased that we decided to stay. We'll be back for sure.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Trendy but relaxed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Cumin has a trendy fusion menu that delivers high-quality food without being snobby. My husband and I met friends for dinner on a weeknight and were drooling over everything. The menu is split into 3 courses and we had a terrible time choosing what we wanted as everything sounded so wonderful. The on-line menu gives a good example of the type of food available, but it changes frequently, so don’t expect what is listed to be exactly what is offered. I had the rabbit for course 3 and it was joyfully tender.

The staff were very professional and were patient with different members of our party showing up at different times, but that may not be true on a busy weekend. My only criticism is that with all of the wonderful food offered for the main meal, the deserts were a little on the boring side. No one had that eye-popping “WOW” reaction for desert that every last one of us did with the rest of our food.

• Visited May 2013