“Birthday Tradition” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 1,663 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy. 71 in Rookwood Commons
Middletown, Ohio
“Birthday Tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Every year I take my wife for her birthday dinner. She loves the steak and the salads. Salads have gotten a little smaller over the years, but are still excellent. Steaks are always tender and juicy. Menu has expanded and we now bring are kids. The atmosphere is upscale and inviting. The service has always been first rate. Bar service is excellent with a wide array of liquors available.

Visited October 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We enjoyed everything about our meal. Our service was spectacular. The aiters timing was perfect, his manner and humor spot on. I had the filet and my steak was so tender I could almost cut it with my fork. My wife had the salmon was very impressed. Salads were great and the sides were done to our liking. Everything was very flavorful and the drinks were made well too. Its a tad pricey but I walked away feeling like I go my money's worth.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great atomosphere and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

J Alexander is considered an upper class restaurant.
Type of Food: American, Seafood, and Steaks
Meals Served: Dinner and Lunch / Price Range: $$$ ($14 - $25)

Ive had several dishes
Appetizer: queso and chips (Delicious)
I usually always eat the salmon or fresh fish special. My sides are mac n cheese. This isnt your typical macaroni, its made with all white cheeses and is very different...but VERY good!
I also always get spinach. YUM!

Do not leave without having the carrot cake. I had it the first time last weekend and cant believe I have been going there for years and have never had it. Probably because I'm usually stuffed...LOL! But do not leave without trying it. Its about $7.00, but 3 people can eat from it.

The service is generally very good. But one thing that bothers me is that as many times as I have been I never see anyone but Caucasian servers...Not sure why...but I dont.

The atmosphere is great!
I would say that its not the best place for children, there are other great places for children.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Place for Business or a Quiet Afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Usually will make this place a special afternoon treat with the better half. Restaurant is about 1/2 way from where I work to the house, so we meet in the middle. Lots of other things to do in the area for shopping, so she makes a day of it. Food is upper scale cuisine, but very good. One of my favorite things to have with their sandwiches are their shoestring french fries. Just like Steak and Shake, only better. The Carrot Cake is world class, and can be a meal by itself. Very large piece, so save room, or skip right to dessert to start. Atmosphere lends itself to business climate as well as casual. Quiet, nice bar, good service, very friendly. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great cheeseburger and a great cosmo.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I prefer eating in the bar--it's more fun. I almost always have the old fashioned cheeseburger--it's fantastic with matchstick fries that are too delicious. Each cosmo is a drink and a half, they bring you the half on the side to refill--love it!

Visited September 2012