“Friendly Neighborhood Stop for a Burger” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hamburgers
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Covington, Kentucky
“Friendly Neighborhood Stop for a Burger”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Asked my friendly server what was their claim to fame. She said burgers and chili. Had chili the night before so I got the classic burger and "dragged it through the garden." Would guess it was about a 1/3 pound patty with a little subtle addition to salt and pepper. The tomato was a nice big ripe heirloom quality slice, which is uncommon these days. Had the cole slaw side. It's was after work and the place was busy without being crowded. Had the carrot cake made on the premises, a well executed work, although it was chilled and I prefer cake at room temperature. Would try it again if in the area to for the chili.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bethel, Ohio
“Small menu and excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This restaurant has some of the best burgers, grilled chicken, fish, etc., in Cincinnati.
Very friendly atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethel, Ohio
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have visited this restaurant multiple times and they continue to surprise me with great soups, sandwiches and great personnel.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Busy and Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had driven by the Main Street Café in Newtown several times but had never stopped in. It looks inviting from the outside--an old brick building near the center of the quaint little town, turned into a restaurant. So tonight we decided that we would stop in and see what it was about.
We walked into the restaurant and the first room was kind of a waiting area. At the other end of the room was a sign telling us to seat ourselves, next to a stack of menus. We grabbed a couple of menus and wandered into the main part of the establishment.

The first thing you encounter is the bar. We headed around it and looked for a table. The dining room was pretty full, and it looks like this is a popular place for the locals to eat. We found a table in the corner by the front windows. There is another part of the dining area a little further back that might have been a little quieter than where we sat, because it was certainly loud where we were seated. The wall was brick and the ceilings were painted tin, so the sound carried quite well. The patrons were having lively conversations and there were flat screen televisions on the walls playing a baseball game. All in all, the dining area was comfortable and wrapped around the bar area.

Main Street Café offers mostly burgers and sandwiches. I was a little surprised because I would have expected some steaks and other entrees from the classiness of the exterior. Katherine ordered a Yuengling beer ($3.50) and I had a glass of water with lemon. Chad, our server, came by to take our order. We both ordered the Classic Reuben with House Dressing ($7.25), which they also offered the option of a Turkey Reuben, or having it with Thousand Island dressing.

The Reuben arrived quickly and the first thing I noticed was that it was drippy. There was a nice big wad of sauerkraut in there and a good pile of corned beef. I had to reach for my napkin almost immediately. They probably should bring extra napkins for people who order their Classic Reuben. The Swiss cheese made a small appearance but was not overly notable. The bread was grilled nicely and very tasty. The House dressing (which Chad said was kind of like a Russian dressing) was served on the side in a very shallow cup. It was rather thin but was nice and tangy. It would have been nice to have a bigger serving. I dipped the Reuben in the dressing but there wasn't nearly enough there. Katherine felt there was plenty of dressing, so perhaps I am too indulgent in that area.

We ordered German Potato Pancakes on the side ($3.75), which came with either Applesauce or Sour Cream. I asked Chad which of them he recommended, and he suggested the sour cream. In hindsight, I think I should have selected the applesauce. The potato pancakes were very crispy and pretty bland. They didn't compare favorably to others I have sampled; I would skip them if I came again.

With a $5 coupon from the coupon book that comes in the mail each month, the meal came to $25.55 including tax and tip. I thought the Reuben was pretty good overall, and I would definitely order it again. One thing that did intrigue me was the listing of desserts on the chalkboard in the dining room. I may need to come back just to try some of them.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Loveland, Ohio
“When You Feel Like a Burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We usually have three diners with different tastes in food, but when we all feel like a burger, then it is off to the "Main Street Cafe". We end up there every month or two. We get there early because it does get crowded and noisy during meal times, but the burgers are good and the staff always helpful. I try to leave room for the deserts because the cobblers are always excellent.

• Visited March 2013