“Fantastic Food and Some Nice Beers” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #326 of 1,721 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fantastic Food and Some Nice Beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We finally had an opportunity to try 50 West with some friends on Labor Day weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. My wife and I arrived early and ordered a flight of 6 2oz. samples of their beers since we had not tried any of them previously. I was not a fan of the Speedbump Kolsch, but I really liked the Jug Rock American Ale, Gunnison Black IPA and the Coast to Coast IPA. My wife really liked the Fox Paw (their ESB flavored with Paw Paw fruit), but I found it to be too fruity. Our guests liked the Rambler and the Robinson's Circus (wheat beer).

This is a small plates menu, which I think is a great concept for sharing, but it always ends up being very costly. I think it is an excuse for restaurants to charge appetizer or even entree prices for smaller than appetizer portions. Plan on paying $7 to $12 per small plate (you would need 2 or 3 per person to make small meal). Enough complaining about prices............this food was fantastic! The group ordered several plates and shared which is the best way to try a lot of dishes. We had the Heirloom Tomato Salad which was light and flavored with Blue Cheese and Balsamic Vinegar. The Smoked Salmon Guac. which was delicious with very light tortilla chips. The Carrot Salad was very refreshing with sliced ribbons of carrots over rice noodles and tossed with Cilantro and Mint and had nice kick of Ginger at the end. The Stuffed Calamari was my favorite with tubes of Calamari stuffed with a fine sausage and an amazing sauce! They also ordered Fried Green Tomatoes and the Roast Lamb Dip which I did try, but they said were very good.

We will definitely make it back to 50 West during the cooler months. It is a nice warm atmosphere with good beer and great food!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A Micro-brewery with Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a microbrewery with great, imaginative food. It has an eclectic menu. The food is all good and so is the beer. The serving sizes are bigger than tapis but not huge, and priced appropriately. My wife and I shared a Calamari and Hot Sausage dish served in a rich marinara sauce. The Calamari tubes were stuffed with the ground hot sausage. The calamari was tender but the flavor was overwhelmed by the sausage and sauce. I then had the smoked turkey meat loaf served on cheese grits mixed with corn and peppers. Great flavor and a little spicy. My wife had the lamb au jus served on a baguette which has a wonderful flavor. We shared a side of loaded baked potato salad. We each had a pint. Check was a little over $50. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the beers and the food. They only take reservations for large groups. There is an outdoor patio and some nights they have live music.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ohio
“Surprising pub food, great beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our server started by telling us that the menu was different. He explained there aren't any actual entrees, they serve appetizers and we should consider ordering two each. We did that but it wasn't necessary, one each would have been plenty. We ordered the Smoked Salmon Guacamole (outstanding), the Sloppy Jody Sliders (excellent), the C.A.B. (light and tasty) and the Pretzels and Beer Cheese (needs some work). The cheese component of the beer and cheese was great but the pretzels were dry (not in a good way) and tasted like they may have been frozen at some point. They also do a pairing menu that suggests one of their beers with their food. They have a wonderful beer menu, I truly believe anyone can find a beer to their liking here.

• Visited July 2013