“Great food with wonderful service!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #113 of 1,721 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Great food with wonderful service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we've had a great meal and service at this restaurant. Our server was very friendly and made sure we had everything. My husband had the rib combo, the ribs were juicy and tender. I had the chicken and waffles, the waffle was a sweet potato waffle served with cinnamon butter & a side of syrup with a fried boneless breast definitely an entree for a person with a sweet tooth. You get corn muffins with your entree and they aren't like typical ones, they're very soft and more like a cake texture. In the 2 times we've been there everything has been tasty and well served.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Cincinnati, Ohio
“This is one of our favs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

It is always better than the last time. Very short wait time . The cat fish was unbelievable and I don't care for fresh water fish. On Friday they have all you can eat for $19.99 . My wife had a premium pork chop that was on the bone. Great taste treat. You can order 1 or 2 chops. The selection of sides are large . This is becoming one of our best spots!

• Visited May 2013
“WOW WOW WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the sides I love cheese grits and these are on point. Thick and creamy just like in the south. Sweet potato/pecan brûlée is very good as well. The mashed potatoes are awesome as well. The only thing missing is a good potato salad. I highly recommend the meat platter if you are sharing because you get some of each meat. Tender juicy and great smoke flavor on the meat. The sticky cornbread is outstanding with just the right amount of sweetness. The sauces are great, I recommend the Hot BBQ sauce, which the wait staff has to bring you from the back. Fried green tomatoes are also made well with a tasty dipping sauce. Awesome dessert choices as well.

• Visited February 2013
Fairfield, Ohio
“Best Bar-B-Que”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The food is FANTASTIC! The portions are HUGE! And the prices are REASONABLE! Service is good. Definitely a place to return to eat! We got there around 5:00 on a Saturday & got right in....no waiting.

• Visited March 2013
Greater Cincinnati, OH
“Dry Ribs, decent sauces, great grits & greens”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We will probably give this one more try...maybe.( If you want great bbq in this area of cinci - go to the hole-in-the-wall local restaurant, Big Art's in the Colrerain/New Burlington area. That's our favorite so far.)

Location: Good- near movie theater, some shopping, other restaurants.

Decor: Wasn't what we expected. Rather bland in the main dining area. I guess they are going for country-ish ..reminds me of a beige Bob Evans. The side dining areas looked more interesting.

Service: Average. Waitress was pleasant and fast. No refills offered though.

Food: Meh. We love barbeque and I need a good bbq sauce . I can't say I love this place. (originally from S. IL and my mom's family is from the south - I enjoy southern food.)

I had the half-rack baby back ribs with collard greens and cheese & bacon grits. Peach tea (unsweetened, I added splenda). Ribs were dry with little sauce. I had to use a knife to get them separated. Sauces are on the table and I tried all 3. I've never been a fan of carolina-style sauce (vinegar-based).Theirs was better than average and spicy. The sweet Kansas City was not for me. I hate overly sugary sauces. The Memphs mild was decent-ish.
Collard greens were very good. Cheese grits I'd say were above average. Not sure what cheese they use though and the texture was quite thick. Peach tea was $4!!! I could have had a Yuengling for $3. Was it made with organic peaches and monkey-picked tea leaves!?!

He had the combo plate with half-rack baby back ribs (also dry), pulled pork (much moister) and sides of green beans and mashed potatoes with onion bacon milk gravy. He liked the green beans (I thought they were average), disliked the dryness of the ribs, enjoyed the pulled pork (I agree, this is the way to go if you're getting bbq here), and we both were disappointed by the gravy. I make milk gravy once a month or so and this was bland. We were expecting a creamy milk base with a hint of sauteed onion and some smoky bacon. Nope. Watery and bland...I'd skip this.

Value: We had gift cert for $25, total was $42. I don't think the value is very great considering the food quality. I think you could spend that much next door at Pappadeaux and leave a LOT happier.

I do hear the shrimp and grits are excellent and the pulled pork and collards were also really good.

• Visited March 2013