“Good choice downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nicholson's Tavern & Pub

Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
625 Walnut St, Cincinnati, OH 45202-2516 (Central Business District)
+1 513-564-9111
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 1,721 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Scottish, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th
Description: Located in downtown Cincinnati across from the Aronoff Center, Nicholson’s is a restaurant and bar serving fine food and drink in a genuine Scottish tavern setting. Taking inspiration from the public houses found throughout Great Britain, our goal is to provide our guests with authentic hospitality and a brilliant dining experience. In addition to high-quality food, we offer a wide variety of beer, wine, bourbon, craft cocktails and feature one of the best selections of single malt scotch whiskies in the area.
“Good choice downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Good food in a good location, and nice beer selection. My only complaint is that it can get a little noisy from the bar.

80% Recommend
Longmont, Colorado
“A nice respite from the World Games”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

We had limited time, but had a made a reservation since our last choir event of the day was across the street at the Aronoff. We went to bar first and the 'tender introduced me to some great craft brews including one aged in bourbon barrels - spectacular! For dinner I had the fish and chips and it reminded me of the experience I had dockside several years ago in Wales---it was superb! Atmosphere is noisy, but that's part if the vibe. Go and enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Worcester VT
“Wandering downtown Cincinnati alone on the last night of a business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I walked around the downtown area for about an hour in the late afternoon, among other things checking out places to have dinner. I ended up here and was very happy. I guess you would call this a "gastro-pub." Very nice wide open, high ceiling pub decor. The food is made as much as possible from local sources-- meats, vegetables, except for the fish which does have to be flown into Ohio (duh!). Very extensive beer and single malt scotch menu if that's your taste. I had an excellent carrot soup and a great braised lamb shank in a tomato sauce over their own grits and vegetables combo. I ordered a side of brussels sprouts which are cooked in a pan until carmelized and topped with cheese-- recommended. Large portions! Although I didn't have any, the fries are fried in duck fat. The waiters wear kilts and the waitresses wear mini-kilts. The service was friendly and attentive. I liked this place and took my time for a very satisfying solo meal...

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best lunch downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Across the street from the Aranoff Center, Nicholson's is one of Cincy's finest pubs. On my last visit, I ordered my favorite, the salmon salad (served on a house baked pretzel croissant) with the duck fat fries.

It was as good as I remembered (possibly the best bread on any sandwich I've ever had) and topping it off with a delicious craft beer only made it better.

Now I just have to NOT eat that next time so I can try something else on their unique lunch menu!

Visited August 2012
“A Taste of Scotland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you've enjoyed traveling in Scotland or would like to, sample a taste of food and atmosphere at Nicholson's. The staff was attentive and very helpful. Scottish Eggs were very tasty. Also enjoyed the Hot Brown sandwich. Brussels sprouts were a mite overdone. Duck Fries were great!

• Visited September 2012