“Comfortable and Chic in Cincinnati” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 21c Museum Hotel

Save Saved
You added 21c Museum Hotel to your Saves list
21c Museum Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   609 Walnut St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Indianapolis
“Comfortable and Chic in Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

An interesting and comfortable place to stay, perfect for lovers of contemporary art, with Contemporary Art Museum next door and a good gallery across the street. Rooms are a good size, understated, good lighting, and bath was actually large. Room was on the back/inside, so no real view.
A/C is quite noisy and makes it difficult to hear TV unless volume is very high.
staff is helpful and cordial, if a bit "trendy" and overly-eager. Good restaurant- better than expected. Valet parking guys are efficient and numerous, but the curbside situation is not good and crowded, and would be a problem in bad weather. But enjoyed the weekend and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gabe I, General Manager at 21c Museum Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful comments about your recent stay at 21c. It's good to know that you found the room and bathroom size to your liking, and that you enjoyed the proximity of contemporary art. We deeply value positive feedback from guests who appreciate our service and amenities despite the temporary inconveniences at our front door. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great hotel and stay! Staff was super friendly and helpful. Service was top notch! The decor in the room is very nice and clean/simple. Housekeeping was fast for any requests.
Art throughout the property is amazing!

A must stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for the great rating and for letting us know how much you enjoyed the hotel and the art. Every member of our team wants to knock your socks off and I am pleased to hear how well we accomplished that during your recent stay. We hope to see you again should your travels again bring you to Cincinnati or to Louisville, Bentonville, AR, or our newest location in Durham, NC, opening in 2015!
Great Neck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I selected this hotel as a special escape treat for my sister in law who was celebrating a birthday. We were in Cincy to see the Diana exhibit. The funky art, contemporary decor and hip atmosphere were exactly what the doctor ordered. It was a home run!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Polly,
A home run?! That's great--thank you so much for the awesome review of your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that we knocked it out of the park for your sister's special day. We hope to welcome you all back soon or to another 21c in Louisville, Bentonville, AR, or our newest hotel opening in Durham, NC in 2015.
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My spouse and I decided to try 21c for a night away. We loved the comfortable, quiet room, smart décor, Cocktail Terrace and super friendly service oriented staff. The bed was super comfortable and the room and bath were super clean throughout! We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Clemencia,
Thank you for making us your destination for your special night away and for letting us know how well we met your expectations. Positive feedback helps us know what we're doing right. We look forward to knocking off your socks again!
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Outstanding customer service, fast check-in and check-out, beautiful hotel and rooms, welcoming to my two German Shepherd dogs, one of my best hotel experiences ever. Loved the art work and their restaurant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Welcoming all of our guests like family is one of our highest goals; thank you for letting us know that we were able to do that for all the members of your family. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. We hope to welcome all of you here again, or at one of our other pet-friendly locations in Louisville, Bentonville, AR or Durham, NC (opening in 2015!).
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I travel to Cincinnati with some frequency for client meetings. I normally stay elsewhere but colleagues really seemed to like this hotel so thought I would give it a try. The location of the hotel is quite good -- central to restaurants, sights, and local businesses. The hotel itself is adequate and for Cincinnati definitely something a bit different but that is where its charm ends.

The staff make the experience feel more like you are staying in a training hotel rather than an operational one. Check-in and check-out were both utterly chaotic and the front desk seemed to always be under-staffed (and under-trained).

Upon check-in I was given my room key (had to go back and ask where the elevators were) and went to my assigned room only to find a do not disturb sign on the door and that the key would not work. I picked-up a house telephone and called the front desk. Someone said they would "be right up". After ten minutes I made a second call that was not even answered. The third call someone answered (same person from the first call) and said they were "really busy" and would be right up. So at least fifteen to twenty minutes later someone did arrive and while apologetic still had difficulty sorting out what room I was actually supposed to be in (all the time I am standing with my luggage in the hallway). I would have gone back down to the front desk but didn't want to miss the person coming up because they kept saying their arrival was imminent (my mistake).

Eventually I was shown to a room on the same floor but nowhere near what I was originally told. It was clearly the correct room because there was a welcome note from the manager to me in front of the television. The person who (eventually) came to assist me had to go back down to the front desk to get me my new key and provided me with a drink and food voucher (I was able to use the drink voucher at the bar that evening -- food voucher was useless to me).

The room itself, as others have mentioned, was small even by NYC and London standards and offered zero view. The duvet was the lumpiest and most bizarre thing I have ever seen (see photo). The room was clean and the bathroom functional. Perhaps the best thing about the room was the toiletries (Malin + Goetz).

The layout of the hotel is cumbersome for example, to get to the rooftop bar you have to go outside, down an alleyway, and into a service elevator. When the staff member I asked told me this my first thought was thank goodness it is not raining. Once I did find the cryptic unmarked door (with the exception of a cocktail glass sticker) and found the service elevator I actually gave up once inside the elevator and just got off on my floor only to find the service elevator let me out right near my room (who knew?). I did have a nightcap at the main bar in the hotel and the service was friendly.

I had pre-ordered breakfast from room service the night before as I had a very early start and the restaurant would not be open. It arrived on-time and was correct but the food was just okay and was not even remotely warm. Check-out was again much like check-in and chaotic. There was a long line of people waiting to check-out but only two clerks on-hand. The entire process took far longer than it should have (more than 30 minutes) for me and the few colleagues I was traveling with to be ready to go. Overall, the front desk staff just seemed to be consistently overwhelmed, extremely junior, and lacking any real polish.

I will likely be staying elsewhere on my next visit because I am happy to trade this hotel's quirky vibe for more polished and professional service -- especially when I am traveling for business -- even if it means not staying with my colleagues.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gabe I, General Manager at 21c Museum Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Clearly, we neither met your expectations nor our standards; I am very sorry. It's our goal to provide an authentic and personable experience, and although it can sometimes be quirky, you should never feel like you've chosen a 'training hotel'.

We've utilized your invaluable feedback to identify where we failed to follow procedure. Should you choose to stay with us in the future, I'm confident we can knock your socks off from start to finish.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at in Cincinnati. The staff was courteous and cared. Rooms were so comfortable and very clean. The food was delicious. Such a great experience. I'd recommend the 21c to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014
Gabe I, Manager at 21c Museum Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
We are certainly happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we truly appreciate your great comments and excellent rating. Our goal is to create your experience for each and every guest; thank you for letting us know how well we hit that mark. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to 21c Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!