“Great hotel and great customer service in downtown Cincinnati” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 21c Museum Hotel

Save Saved
You added 21c Museum Hotel to your Saves list
21c Museum Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   609 Walnut St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Ohio
“Great hotel and great customer service in downtown Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding on March 23-24. I was immediately impressed by customer service from the second I pulled into the valet parking space. I was on the fence about whether to do overnight valet parking and the valet actually discussed several options with me. He was so friendly and offered to unload my car for me and bring everything in so I didn't have to carry anything. He called in to the lobby so they knew I was coming in. The lobby was very modern and the check-in staff was very friendly. I arrived at 10am on the day of my stay to get ready for the wedding because I was part of the bridal party, and I wasn't expecting my room to be ready that early but it was. They walked me to the elevator and explained the hotel. I know absolutely nothing about art so I didn't take too much time to admire all the art exhibits that were all over the lobby, in the hallways, etc., but the modern decor was so clean and crisp that it was hard to not be impressed.

My room was not huge but was extremely clean and well-appointed. There were great toiletries from Malin+Goetz and a Nespresso coffee machine. Everything in the room is very modern and even though I am pretty young (30), even I had a hard time getting myself acquainted to how everything worked, like the light switches, coffee machine, etc. I knew we wouldn't be dining on-site but I looked at the Metropole menu and it looked tasty.

I was impressed by how friendly the housekeeping staff were during our stay. Any requests were met promptly within minutes and the housekeeping staff kept stopping in the hallways when we walked through to ask how our stay was going and if we were enjoying the hotel. While the bridal party was getting ready in a suite, the housekeeping staff gladly came up and dropped off things we needed before we left to take pictures.

The reception space at the hotel is very modern and obviously contains art as well. The hors d'oeuvres that were passed around were very tasty and interesting and the waitstaff was friendly and also very modern-looking. The buffet area that was set up was somewhat far from the reception room but there weren't a whole lot of choices on where to set it up. The reception room we were in probably would only hold 110 max but we used the lobby area outside of the reception area for cocktail hour and for dancing, as that is where the bar is located. Bartenders seemed a little inexperienced but friendly. We had a very quiet and peaceful night's sleep and check-out the next morning at 11 was effortless. The valet had a delay in bringing our car around and everyone apologized profusely, offered us water while the car was en route, etc.

I would absolutely stay in this hotel again. I think the price was reasonable for the type of luxury you are getting in a boutique hotel and the location can't be beat. You are right across from the Aranoff Center, within walking distance to some amazing restaurants, and just down the road from the new casino, which we enjoyed later that morning. I have never received customer service like this at a hotel and was very impressed. I would recommend this hotel for just about any kind of traveler, although, as a parent, I don't think the hotel would be overly child-friendly (the art would not really appeal to children, there is no pool, the rooms aren't overly large, etc.). But for someone looking for a night away, a quick stay downtown, a business trip, a wedding, etc., I would absolutely recommend this hotel. We hope to stay here again so we can enjoy things we didn't have time to enjoy this trip because of how busy we were-- the art museum, the spa, the downtown location, the Metropole, etc. Thanks for a great experience, 21c Cincinnati!

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet. We were on the 3rd floor, right above the reception space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a great hotel. The decor is amazing, very cool art museum combined with an older historic building updated with modern styling. I thoroughly enjoyed this stay. The staff was very friendly, the room clean and comfortable. The restaraunt Metropole was excellent too. We received a private tour of the art exhibits from Michael, and that was incredible too. I wish we could have stayed longer and tried the spa. Definitely the place to stay in Cincinnati!

Room Tip: inner courtyard overlooking the light display
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location and great decor. Room was nice with modern fixtures. Nice change of pace to the standard set of hotels in Cincinnati. Not a fan of the restaurant, but the bar is nice and they make good drinks. Walking distance to some great restaurants : Jeff Rubys, Nada, First Watch, etc. I didn't go into the museum part, but i will check that out next time.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

finally a hotel which is modern, clean and designed with some taste. loved the spacey room and the nice touch of art both at the reception and in the room...tough I expected more. they have a nice fitness and a restaurant next door. really worth trying!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brookville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a business outing, it was brand new, I think we were the first to stay in our room. The decor was amazing, everything was comfortable, the guest services were quick and helpful. We loved it so much, we took our children back to stay during a Christmas event going on downtown Cincinnati. A wonderful place, close to everything, clean, beautiful, and friendly. I would highly recommend for anyone needing to stay downtown. Upgrade to a deluxe suite if you can!

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to deluxe suite, worth the money!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WEST BLOOMFIELD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Lovely, newly renovated hotel with contemporary art motif. Cool, unexpected touches EVERYWHERE, form the check-in desk, to the rooms. Lobby has great exhibits, so do the hallways. Permanent photo exhibits are just lovely and lend a great "feel" to the property. A witty addition are the numerous 4 foot yellow penguin mascots that are everywhere! You may find one standing at your table at the Metropole restaurant ( fantastic for dinner or brunch), or you might find one outside your door in the morning. Or on the elevator. Rooms are luxurious, clean, minimalist, with humorous touches in the bathroom. I won't spoil it for you, so you'll have to see for yourself. Great location, easy walk to the riverfront. Lots of pubs, restaurants,shopping within easy walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We read the other reviews for this location prior to going, and I must say, that they are right. The location is excellent and the art/sculpturing is fantastic. Let's talk about the good stuff first:
It is somewhat family friendly.. Depending on your stance on art... There are naked sculptures of various 'younger' individuals which might be hard to explain to a 4 - 8 year old located in the lobby. Nothing grotesque, just the human form. I had no problem with it for my son.

-The employees are *EXTREMELY* friendly. It is a different kind of check in. No offical "front desk" as most hotels employ, this is just an art exhibit table with 6400 hands holding it up. (When you check in, you will know what I mean ;))
-We had the same man help with our luggage from the car, waited through the check in process, and followed us to the room. That was excellent!
-It's kind of silly, but we LOVED the penguins. They are giant (4') yellow and they seemingly travel throughout the hotel and end up in different locations constantly. (We helped too! We moved one off the elevator and left it on the 5th floor.) It was fun!
-The Room:
- Kind of small, that was workable, just a note
- VERY clean and smelled AWESOME
- Bathroom had its own "art" in the wall, a bellybutton, lips, a breast, an ear, and a nose were pushed out of various tiles. Neat!
- Robes that were furnished were VERY nice as well.
- The bed??? OMG! HONESTLY THE BEST NIGHTS SLEEP I HAVE HAD IN YEARS! TALK about comfort?! Ahhhhhhhhhh is all I can say.

- Onto the very, very few negatives in my personal opinion.

It is nice to have someone available for your needs, but I am a frugal individual who would rather go get my own ice, and not have to tip someone. Pretty much everything you need or want involves a tip of some sort. I am OK with that to a point, but, it was a little much.

I read in another review that the electric grass was good. I was expecting a little more. To me, the various artworks on various floors trumped that. I would take a pass on that if it came around again.

So, that's it! It really is a very good location, but if traveling "frugally", this might be a bit extravagant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to 21c Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!