“Great find by the river, delicious food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BrewRiver GastroPub

BrewRiver GastroPub
2062 Riverside Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Formerly Brew River Gastro Pub)
513.861.2484
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #80 of 1,721 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: We’re elevating the status of pub fare to serious food and drink.Tapping into the brewing history of our beloved river town, beer isn't just part of Cincinnati’s heritage, but also part of our recipes and a complement to a great meal. Fine dining with a casual pub atmosphere. Chef-inspired cooking with handpicked, top-notch local ingredients.
Los Angeles, California
“Great find by the river, delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Dined here with two other couples on Saturday for lunch. None of us are from Cincinnati so we used TripAdvisor to find a convenient meet-up place. Easy to find, easy parking, and seated immediately. Waiter Will was very helpful and patient. We all ordered something from the $10 lunch special: pick two of a 1/2 sandwich, a salad or cup of soup. Gumbo is $1 more. I chose the 1/2 oyster Po' Boy and BrewRiver salad. Delicious! Others tried the BLT and the Muffaletta, and the Gumbo. Soup was a Watermelon Gazpacho. We arrived at 12:45pm and it got very busy about 1:00pm. Spent about 1.5 hours catching up and enjoying our meal. Didnt try any of their extensive beer offerings, but was impressed.

Would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a unique place with delicious food and great atmosphere. Thanks for helping us pick this establishment!

Visited July 2013
Christian B, Owner at BrewRiver GastroPub, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for dining with us on your recent visit to Cincinnati! We're so happy that you had an experience that lives up to our high standards. Please come see us again if you're ever in the Queen City and next time, try one of our amazing craft beers!!

82% Recommend
cincinnati
“Pub fare with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My first visit to this gastro pub was today for lunch. I will return, for lunch or dinner.
The menu was full of fun choices, with standby pub fare having a unique twist. For example, I had fish and chips, but the tartar sauce was laced with kimchi. The pub strives for a New Orleans cuisine (oyster po'boys, etc.) but there is something for every palate on the menu. The wait staff was extremely helpful, describing the many craft beers and answering menu questions. The atmosphere is cheerful and friendly and the dining room allows for easy conversation. There is outdoor dining weather permitting. A fun place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
kentucky
“Even the Ketchup is Inspired! A must-visit when in Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I maybe drink 5 beers all year, usually in business settings... so I could care less about the assortment of brews. But the local IPA on tap was excellent.
Now to the REAL star of this place - the ketchup? I never realized ketchup could actually be good - they make a homemade version here that is spiced with Anise among other things. It was so delicious, it made their greasy house-cut fries taste good. I also couldn't get enough of a Cajun themed smoked chicken soup and an awesome salami muffaletta, I'd rank the sheer quality of ingredients and flavors among the best restaurants I've eaten at in the world... And I've been fortunate to gorge myself in 5-star restaurants and hotels on 6 continents. While the outdoor patio was pleasant, for about 10 minutes, we could smell either horse dung or sewage in the breeze coming from the direction of the nearby river. But even that failed to mar such a memorable meal - I almost asked them to give me a serving of ketchup to take home. Our waiter was great as well. This would be the perfect place for a foodie to take their less appreciative spouse - They can be happy drinking the beer while you enjoy everything else. This place is definitely a MUST-VISIT when in Cincinnati.... one of the most pleasant surprises I've had dining in a long time.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati
“Paddle Over to Brew River!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

On the recommendation of a colleague, we set sail for Brew River Gastro Pub on a Tuesday night and arrived at 5:45pm. Everything we heard about the place and after reviewing the menu on-line, we had to check it out. They reopen for dinner at 6:00pm and we were a bit early. However, the preliminary ceremony of waiting was too much fun. We plopped down on one of the benches and savored the smells of the Crawfish pots, being tended to by the Chef, out back. We noticed there was a garden right there, from which herbs and special goodness was harvested.

We were promptly granted entrance at 6pm, by the manager (Christian?), who remarked on our patient wait. We decided to eat outside on the patio. However, I marveled at the beautiful bar, as we passed through. Here's a tip...if you don't like rush hour or semi-trucks, don't sit on the patio. Riverside Drive gets quite busy and is the primary view from the patio. Next time, we will eat inside to avoid the sights, sounds and smells of heavy traffic.

J.P. (our lead server) and William (server in training) greeted us with the nightly specials and beer offerings. The list of beers was quite impressive and I opted fro a Steigl Lemon Radler ($6.00) and it was fantastic. J.P. gave me a crash course on this beer and why it was so fantastic. J.P. and William were very attentive to our needs, checked in with us often and kept our beverages filled to the brim.

We ordered the Crawfish Hush Puppies (seasonal special appetizer) and were not disappointed (although we were hoping for the Salt & Vinegar Chips, but they were out of them?). Sweet, savory and delicate strands of crawfish meat filled each hush puppy. For $9.00 you receive a generous amount for two to share and a chance to taste something a little more unique than a plain old hush puppy.

For dinner we settled on the Decatur Street Muffaletta ($12.00) and the Brew River Burger ($12.00) and each were served with a side of french fries. The Muffaletta was piled high and each layer of sassy deliciousness was perfect. Genoa salami, Mortadella, Ham, Provolone cheese with house-made olive salad on local bread. The house-made olive salad (it really looked like a tapanade..) was exceptional! The hand cut fries were thick, hot and salty.

The burger was served with a house-made pickle, Portobello crisps, tomato, lettuce, Irish cheddar cheese on a local challah bun. Mounded tightly in a small hand-formed burger, I was a little disappointed at the size of the burger (for $12.00) compared to the large challah bun. I like more burger than bun. While it was good, it seemed like there was a little too much going on with that burger. I looked for the crunch of the Portobello crisps (they just weren't crisp) and the zip of the Irish Cheddar (seemed lost/overpowered by the tomato, lettuce and not-crispy mushroom). Again, the hand cut fries accompanied and were thick, hot and salty.

Would I get the burger again? Not for $12.00, but I would get the Muffaletta or try something else on the menu like an Oyster Po'Boy or the Buttermilk Crispy Chicken.

For the big finish, J.P. talked us into dessert (after all, we were celebrating!) and we chose the Blonde Brownie Special for $8.00. It was magnificent and we tried to decipher all the flavors involved, but were lost after chocolate, butterscotch, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. The portion was adequate for the price, presented wonderfully and was enough to share.

Totaled, our bill came to $52.99 (including a soda at a whopping $2.75 with refills...ouch) for two people: one shared appetizer, two sandwiches, a beer, a soda and a shared dessert. The unique location (very unexpected), penchant for local harvest to table, owners commitment to the neighborhood, friendliness of the entire staff, live entertainment on the patio and the an eclectic NOLA vibe - it was well worth it.

Here's the question we always ask of each other, "Would you go back?" We both can answer without hesitation, "absolutely!"

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Christian B, Owner at BrewRiver GastroPub, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
The Hall-of-Fame BrewRiver Burger is made in a simply classic style where both the meat and the bread are featured equally. The Sweet Williams local bread, and the Pat LaFrieda beef are partners in the romance of this burger. As Polly Campbell stated in her recent review, "the No. 1 lesson of this burger is that it uses a bun that is delicious to eat on it's own..."

As true burger geeks, and equal lovers of all things carnivorous, we're excited to announce the coming of the newest member to our family, the all-new "Natchez Smoked Burger"! This is a House Smoked Hamburger, that features Ohio Blue Cheese, Shaved Red Onion, and Sriracha Aioli on a local bun with hand cut fries.

We look forward to another swing at your burger-loving heart!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Food with Flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Wonderful food with a New Orleans inspired flair. Everything was exceptionally prepared and presented. Burger was delicious, muffalata was great. Fries awsome. Vinegar and Salt chips good along with the short rib which was served over fries. Extensive beer selections. Just outside of Downtown CIncinnati. They mentioned a Sunday brunch is served there and I will be back someday to try that, I am sure it is good.

• Visited May 2013