“HUGE disappointment--terrible service, poor food, unsafe atmosphere” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Goodie's Southern Style Barbecue

Improve this listing
Ranked #982 of 1,728 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Barbecue
Cincinnati, Ohio
“HUGE disappointment--terrible service, poor food, unsafe atmosphere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I absolutely love BBQ and was really looking forward to beef brisket or pulled pork while using my Groupon deal for the "barbeque sampler," which included 2 sandwiches of your choice, 2 orders of fries, and 2 cans of soda for $7. I would never have thought to find BBQ on the west side of Cincinnati, if it weren't for the Groupon. I also love to support local businesses and really enjoy eating at ethnic and/or hole-in-the-wall places; they usually have some of the best food!

That said, Goodies was a HUGE disappointment! First off, the neighborhood (College Hill) just seemed super sketch. Maybe it's different during the day, but at 8pm at night when we went, it felt unsafe. When you walk into the restaurant, you're certainly not greeted with any friendly welcome (and we were the only patrons who came in at the time), but you are greeted with a room full of smoke (cooking smoke, not cigarette). Do they not have proper ventilation in the kitchen?! Several employees just stared at me from behind the counter, including presumably the owner, until I greeted them with a friendly "hey, how are you all doing?". I'm not sure, maybe they don't get many Caucasian patrons, but it felt very awkward, even for my African American dining partner.

We presented them with our Groupon and were immediately told they were out of the beef and pork and only had turkey and ham available. Seriously!? Who "runs out" of the two main staple meats of BBQ at a BBQ restaurant?? So we chose the turkey. We weren't asked if we were dining in or taking out, but they must have assumed take-out, because the food came served in several paper bags, all inside a plastic bag. No ketchup for the fries. No napkins. No utensils. Just 5 packets of hot sauce. And that's not even the worst...

The sandwiches were seriously worse than school cafeteria food! The turkey was not even BBQ. It was processed turkey lunch meat on cheap white bread with a drizzle of thin, watery sauce. The fries were okay, obviously bagged fries cooked freshly at the restaurant (so don't expect home made). I was quite hungry, so I ate my sandwich, but my friend couldn't even touch his. To quote my friend, "Well, the fries are ok." So if you're looking for positives about this place, that's about it.

Other customers did arrive while we were seated eating our food, and they were certainly greeted more heartily by the owner than we were, presumably because they were regulars. At one point while he was chatting with the other patrons, a kid walked in, and the owner paused conversation with the patrons to have a very whispered conversation with the kid in the middle of the restaurant. Given the neighborhood, this just seemed very sketch.

So, in summary, the service was terrible--not friendly, gave the appearance of they couldn't be bothered, unless perhaps you're a regular. The food (aside from the fries) was awful and completely inadequate for a supposed BBQ restaurant; maybe we just came on the wrong day, at the wrong time, but in my opinion food should be consistent no matter when you go, during any of their business hours. And the atmosphere was sketch and super smokey; your clothes most certainly will smell of cooking smoke. And if you want to feel in safe surroundings while you're eating, this is not the place for you.

Groupon really should do a better job of checking out the restaurants it supports before doing business with them. I will be taking up a complaint with Groupon as well.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Goodies was not Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Went there for lunch today. Half a dozen flies buzzing around inside, and a bugzapper 2/3 full of dead flies did not bode well in terms of atmosphere. The brisket sandwich and coleslaw had about 6 thinly sliced strips of very fatty brisket, and was a little tough to eat. Sauce was okay, a little tang, but not overpowering. Cheapest buns imaginable. For two of us, we were given 1 napkin. Will not go back when so many better options exist here in Cincinnati. Plus for 1 brisket sandwich (mostly bun), 2 oz of cole slaw, and tap water my bill was over $6. I know Goodies needs to make a profit, but he don't need a 50% margin!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Grove City, Ohio
“Great Sauce!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Great barbecue! Great sauce! They smoke everythign out back on charcoal... delicious!
Their $5 lunch specials are a fantastic value! Try the rib tips or pulled pork! Although, there's nothing bad on the menu.
Don't expect anything fancy. The eating area is small and "functional", but that's it. The staff are very nice and always greet you with a smile.

Visited March 2012
cincinnati ohio
“Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I visit Goodies about once a month, The food is usually good. the sauces are good not a big selection at Hot or Mild... but both are good. The pork ribs are usually prepared very well. once in awhile they can be alittle dry and tough. Service is good, sometimes there can be wait like fridays or saturday nights or days checks come out. they have a drive up for call ahead orders. They have other items on the menu besides BBQ. And I consider it a good value.

• Visited December 2011