“Picturesque and good” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Gregory Street
Description: This cozy, colorful Mt. Adams restaurant serves David H. Cook’s exquisitely composed, restlessly imaginative fare. Nothing is alien to Cook, who has earned a reputation over the years for innovative dishes that often dazzle the palate. In a more subdued mood, he might put his own twist on a traditional dish, creating a hearty Pan Seared Duck Breast with garganelli pasta and Vermont White Cheddar. But then there are the go-for-broke dishes like sea scallops with corn belini, creme fraiche ice cream and crisp spinach. Outlandish, perhaps, but it proves itself on the plate. Even at his most experimental, Cook shows good taste and restraint, paying close attention to texture and the interplay of unusual flavors. No one has a finer hand with foie gras. The domestic brand Cook uses is pan-seared, served with an ever-changing "lazy susan" of ingredients, from sweet to savory, which is served with a complimentary glass of late harvest. You will be amazed with the "Big City" dining!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Picturesque and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

While on a business meeting in Cincinnati, we had an outing to Daveed's for dinner one of the evenings. The huge room on the second floor was comfortable and quiet, and easily accommodated our large group of 20+ business associates. The food consisted of pre-set 5-course dinner venue (the main entree offered a choice of 3 dishes). In addition, during the course of dinner we flavored a wine tasting option, during which we tried various red and white wines--all good. The food was a bit rich but quite ttasty. The place offered good ambience. We had a nice walk to/from the restaurant in this quaint neighborhood in Cincinnati. Great and friendly service. Overall, a good and recommended experience.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Cincinnati
“Excellent, but not the best in Cinci”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I went there for dinner with my wife for a special occasion. Daveed was very good but not the top restaurant in Cincinnati. The location is in Mt Adams, but there are no views from this restaurant. Further, the interior is understated – it is strictly about the food. We had their signature martini’s which were very good. I had the famous Foie Gras for appetizer. It was perfectly prepared and was surprisingly paired with a dessert wine. My wife had a scallop that was seared perfectly. The entrees were very good. The deserts were the only disappointment. I had the white and dark chocolate mouse and was not impressed. My wife had a hazelnut torte that was a bit dry. We had a very good meal, but not the best in Cincinnati. With drinks, appetizers, main course, desert, and tip, the whole meal was near $200.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati
“Not bad, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I just went to Daveeds tonight as part of the Restaurant Week promotion here in Cincinnati from March 12-21. That might make some things in this review less relevant than if I had dined during some other time.
The restaurant itself was not as impressive as I was expecting. The decor looked out of date and the chairs were uncomfortable. If you compare it with a restaurant like Nicola's it's not even close. All of this can be ignored though if the food is great...
We had their three course dinner for $26 which is substantially less than their regular menu, and consequently, smaller portions. We started off with an amuse bouche which was ok but definitely didn't get me excited for my meal. Our first course was a potato/leek which was good. Then we had a romaine salad with roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, goat cheese and a vinaigrette. It was great and probably the highlight, but it's a salad and it's not hard to make a good one. Our final course I had chicken roulade and my wife had the hanger steak. I was not impressed with my entree at all, and kind of reminded me of cruise food a little. My wife's hanger steak was good but the potatoes just seemed thrown on their so it would seem more like an entree.
Overall it was a pretty good meal, but I am sure I would have been a little happier if I could have ordered exactly what I wanted off the menu. I was restricted by the menu they chose for restaurant week. I would not have liked paying full price for the food I received. I would have loved to try some of their scallops and duck breast which I have heard good things about.
Service was good, but our waiter described the menu a little bit too much in the beginning before we had expressed an interest or even looked over the menu. She was attentive though and very nice. I only wished that she had described out dishes again when dropping them off because I always forget all of the components.
At this point I am not thinking about returning to Daveeds but who knows. I'll try some of the other nice restaurants in Cincinnati before I think about returning. I am rating it a 3, but if I could rate it a 3.5 I would. If you have a chance, go next door to the Blind Lemon for a great cocktail.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
CincyTraveler13
“Daveed's Needs to Re-think It's Direction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We eat dinner at Daveed’s four or five times a year. Unfortunately we will be going there less in 2012. The reasons are the quality of service, attention to detail, the wine list (more misses than hits), and the food; more average and some disappointing.
The fois gras appetizer was great from a portion perspective but the attention to detail, undercooked a little bit, sauce from a jam jar, and overall presentation missed the mark. While the restaurant changes up the fois gras and other dishes every month or so, the effort of late is less than successful. The sea scallops were very good, well prepared, and just cooked.

The entrees were good but far from the level of cooking in 2008 and 2009. The slide started in 2010 and the economic downturn finally hit Daveeed’s in an adverse way. The wait staff was indifferent, lacked the personal touches that made Daveed’s special, and the cocktail preparation was off the mark with my sidecar. The first bottle of red wine was corked.

Hopefully things will return to their former goodness. I always wonder why a restaurant has to go through a decline every once in a while.

My advice is: pick another restaurant. $360 for four people is what I should be paying for excellent service and great if not fabulous food.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Amazing food--expensive but worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

This lovely destination restaurant is in an old house in Mt Adams (the hill overlooking downtown Cincinnati-fashionable Old World neighborhhod). Getting there is a challenge--follow your GPS. You will have to park on the street or use a valet (tough parking on Frioday and Saturday nights). When you arrive, you will have a first class experience--first class service, first class food, commensurrate price. (Expect to spend around $75-150 a person, depending on your alcohol preferences and what you order). The portions are small, but absolutely delicious. Try the oysters, spectacularly prepared and from a special bay in Canada. All the fish is wonderful. If you want to try Daveeds more inexpensively, there are occassional "tasting parties" in a Courtyard out back, usually on Thursdays, when you can sample things for around $10. A great treat--take someone special and enjoy.

• Visited November 2011