“Classic Steakhouse” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse
700 Walnut Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202-2015 (Central Business District)
513-784-1200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,725 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cross street: 7th
Cincinnati
“Classic Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This has the classic, American steakhouse feel of the 30's and 40's. Very upscale, great environment. The food is marvelous! Their crab cake is to die for. I always get the ceasar salad- their house made croutons are so buttery and great. The bone-in filet makes my mouth water.

I usually only come here for special occasions, but I wish I could afford to dine here all the time! Worth every penny.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I usually go to Ruths Chris for special occasions. I have eaten at around 10 different Ruths Chris' all around the country so I am basing my comparison on all those experiences. From the moment we walked in the door I was a bit turned off. The music was so loud I literally couldnt hear the hostess to tell her our reservation name. The ambiance was not what I would expect out of high end steak house. Neon lighting made it feel super cheesy. I noticed they had their meat cutting room displayed and it really grossed me out. I dont want to look at dead carcass before I go eat. It looked like something out of a haunted house. By the time we sat down it took 15 minutes for our server to come over and take a drink order (yes I timed him.). When he did come over all he said was "can I get you something to drink" and left quickly. We got shrimp cocktail for an appetizer and that was really great so it made me hopeful for the rest of the meal....but then I realized my fork had old food caked to the side of it...GROSS. I understand that happens from time to time...but it shouldnt happen especially when I am paying $60 for a steak. My caesar salad was good, but it wasnt anything to rave about. I literally crave the caesar salad from Ruths Chris so after having it I dont think any caesar salad compares. The main course came out and I was clearly still eating my salad. My server says "are you done with that?" haha I guess I am. Shouldnt they time the courses so we can enjoy each course and not have to rush? I ordered my steak between medium and medium well and it came out medium rare in the center. The server said he would have them recook it but I didnt want to send it back. So I just ate the edges. Now I have to say the steak was very tender and practically melted in my mouth so good job to them. However it was so salty I almost couldnt taste any steak. Our side dishes for the most part were bland minus the mac and cheese which tasted great. THE THING THAT REALLY ANNOYED ME was that we went there for my husbands birthday and I put that on the reservation and not one person even told him happy birthday...much less do anything else. At Ruths Chris for special occasions every single person that comes to your table or seats you at your table will tell you happy birthday. The table is decorated with birthday confetti and a birthday card. Your dessert comes out with a plate that says happy birthday with your name on it, AND they take a picture and print it out for you. So to say I was disappointed that they didnt even tell my husband happy birthday is an understatement. I also notice the little things b/c what makes a great dining experience is the little things. For instance not one server or manager that I passed even smiled at me much less said anything. I just didnt feel welcome at Jeff Ruby's and I wont be trying another one of his restaurants. Funny thing was he was sitting at the table across from us...I was so tempted to say something. Ruths Chris was voted the number one fine dining restaurant in the world and I now know why. The worst meal I have ever had at a Ruths Chris (Which I dont think I have had one) would be better than the experience I had at Jeff Rubys. I wanted to see what all the hype of Rubys is and I really wanted to be impressed. Sadly I wasnt and I am left with a bunch of left overs that I dont even want. Dont waste your time or money here.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Boss birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

What a great meal!! My steak, a porter house was off the charts. Service was wonderful. It's like stepping back in time. The bathroom was like a speakeasy. They have an outdoor patio too. Dessert was bananas foster and cooked near your table. The server had extensive knowledge of the entire menu and wine list.

Visited June 2013
“Old classic ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Went here just for drinks and the atmosphere was classic. You get the feeling you are stepping back in time a bit, but in an elegant, sophisticated kind of way. A piano playing in the background gives a nice backdrop to the ambiance. If the food is even half as good as the atmosphere, I will be coming back for way more than just for evening drinks.

Visited June 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Steaks, steaks, steaks.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great steaks in a beautiful setting.

Filetes so tender you can cut them with your fork.

Salads fresh and crispy.

Great experience and service too!!!

• Visited June 2013