“My favorite of the Jeff Ruby restaurants” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Precinct is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,750 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Columbia Parkway
Transit: There is a public transit stop across the street from the front entrance.
Description: For Jeff Ruby, this is the steakhouse that started it all. In 1981, The Precinct was born in the former Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. This turn-of-the-century, Romanesque-style structure would hold what is now the longest, continuously running white tablecloth restaurant in the city. Recently named one of America's Top 10 Steakhouses by USA Today and Gayot.com, The Precinct is frequently recognized as having Cincinnati’s best steaks, seafood and service. This consistent high level of quality and overall guest experience over 3 decades has endeared Precinct to celebrities, businesspeople, families and loyal diners alike.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“My favorite of the Jeff Ruby restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I love the Precinct. It is worth the trip to Delta Avenue. My husband and I went last night. It was a Wednesday and the place was packed. It is in an old police station and the dining rooms are unique, beautiful and kind of tight. I love the atmosphere. Our waiter was Tom and he was enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
We ordered a nice bottle of wine. Then we started with appetizers from the raw bar. We had shrimp cocktail and my husband also had a few oysters. Two or three shrimp may of been too many....they are that big and everything that follows is so good. The steaks at the Precinct are fabulous, but so is everything on the menu. I love the lobster tail. It is the best I have ever eaten, so we went with surf and turf. Everything was so good and plentiful. We brought a lot home. If you visit or live in Cincinnati, you owe it to yourself to experience the Precinct.

• Visited April 2013

Cincinnati
“It will change your mind about Beef !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just dined there last night and the words "Beyond Your Expectations" is an understatement. The Food, the Service, Everything was Superb! Our seasoned waiter Tom was Exceptional. He knows the menu back and forth and recommended the Crab Cake and it was the Best I've ever eaten. The Collinsworth steak is the Best steak if you love the Filet Oscar, and my husband swears by the Salmon. You will not be disappointed, no matter what you order. They have so many AMAZING dishes, it will be hard to choose. The seating and ambiance is like no other, and Tom made us feel like we were his only guest. Make sure you make a reservation a few weeks in advance, because you will not get in on a nights notice. Definitely a Cincinnati Favorite.

• Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Mainstay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Precinct is nothing but the best - the steak melts in your mouth. The service is great and I have loved this place since it opened.

Visited April 2012
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Superb! I highly recommend a visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I must begin by saying I am generally not a steak lover--in fact given the choice I go for the seafood selections every time. However, on my first visit to Cincy and traveling with an avowed steak lover, I felt compelled to indulge a visit to The Precinct--let me just say that I will no longer shy away from a good steak! My steak (JAC Collinsworth) was the best I have ever had! It was cooked wonderfully, excellent taste, tender, juicy and clearly a high quality piece of beef (the Collinsworth topping was superfluous).

As a side note, because I didn't really expect to enjoy my steak- I ordered the "crab cake appetizer" to satisfy me and I would like to say that it, paired with the slaw, was excellent-- and I AM a crab cake lover!! Also, my daughter had the mixed green salad and it was also very good and better than the Freddie salad that comes with dinner. And by all means don't miss the baked macaroni and cheese- I see why it was rated the best in Ohio. Often restaurants get a little too fancy with their additions when they try to elevated mac and cheese but this was done right--the basics but just kicked up notch with wonderful cheeses and rich cream and butter.

I highly recommend a visit, yes it's pricey but in my opinion well worth it. A clear 5 star experience for food quality, taste, portion and service --will definitely visit again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

As with the other Jeff Ruby restaurants, in my experience this is the best steak I've ever had anywhere. The Precinct was Jeff's original restaurant, and has a bit more of a "local steakhouse" feel to it, as compared for example with the Ruby's steakhouse downtown, which is more glitzy. The Precinct is an old police station, which adds considerably to the architectural appeal of the place. But, of course, the food is the star, and the service is also absolutely outstanding, and consistently so. Food wise, the menu has expanded over the years, and there are more appetizer and side options than in the past, which is a good thing. On the service side, I don't know how the Jeff Ruby restaurants manage to train their staff so well. Every restaurant in the country could learn from this group. I also applaud the decor decision to get rid of the somewhat cheesy sports caricatures that used to adorn the walls, in favor of more Victorian pieces which match the building's age. In any event, A+ as always for The Precinct.