“BYOB / Authentic Turkish Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 1,653 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Istanbul Cafe will bring the authentic flavors and smells of kitchens right out of Istanbul, and straight to your table. Located in downtown Cincinnati Istanbul Cafe offers a unique dinning experience in a city spotted with chain and corporate restaurants. This family owned and operated restaurant will please foodies and eclectic dinners alike. The atmoshere here is simple and to the point all about the food, Turkish rugs, photo's, and mirrors dot the dinning room and turquoise walls.
Cincinnati Ohio
“BYOB / Authentic Turkish Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had the pleasure of eating here in the middle of the week when it wasn't so busy. One of our group had lived in Turkey for 6 months and raved about the quality and authenticity of the Turkish food. Although I've had extensive experience with Middle Eastern food which is similar, I had never tried Turkish food before. The Iskender kabob was excellent and I'll be back for that alone. A friend tried the eggplant which was also yummy; in fact, everything which our group had was tasty. Don't forget to BYOB, which makes it a great value.

Their web-site is: http://www.istanbulcafecincy.com

Cincinnati Ohio
“Great Food & Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The food at Istanbul Café is really great – well prepared and presented with good service to boot. I was there for lunch and intend to return for dinner with a bottle of wine.

The Iskender Kebab is a special of the house, and it was fantastic. The sauce was delicious and the homemade yogurt was the perfect accent. The chicken adana was fantastic, not greasy, nor were the veggies on the side. There was a table of 4 next to us, all eating to their hearts’ delight and raving about the food as well – they were there when we arrived and still eating when we left.

I have eaten quite a bit of Turkish food – and love it, especially when it’s well prepared. What may be my only criticism is that I wanted a more extensive menu, we went hoping for a braised lamb shank and some manti (really yummy little lamb raviolis) and they didn’t offer either. BUT we were satisfied with what we had. I would love to see what their chefs do with a roasted chicken, too.

As for the ambience, it was a bit sterile, but nicely appointed inside. I was expecting it to be a bit cozier – it had more of a strip-mall feel than a Turkish restaurant.

AND trip advisor has this listed as Greek, not Turkish. They do have kebabs (better than any in town, seriously – way better than the well known Kebab place I WON’T MENTION, but his name starts with an “A” and ends with a “Y”) and it is “Mediterranean”, but you’re not going to find a the gyro, moussaka, or any of the giant overstuffed sandwiches or wings that are unfortunately associated with greek food in Cincinnati and beyond.

Go, the food is good – right now they BYOB, so be prepared! YUM

• Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently went for dinner with my husband to the Istanbul Cafe.
They only had one server, who was very friendly and made us feel like we were in a homey ambiance.
We started with a small Appetizer sampler for 2 (Humus, Eggplant Puree, Tabouli and Ezme with warm pita bread) everything was very good.
For Entree we shared a plate for 2 with 3 different Kebabs (chicken and lamb, I don't remember the names) with basmati rice and sauteed vegetables. It was very good!
For dessert we shared the Kunefe, it was amazing!
Overall the food was very good and the ambiance was really nice. Will certainly be back soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Springs
“Great Turkish Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Something I learned in Turkey, you can tell how good an eatery is by the taste of their tea (Cay) ... the cay was outstanding! The staff, waiter and chef did a fantastic job of making our dining experience a great one. They are very quick to reply to emails and made me want to eat there. The food was extraordinary, as good as any Turkish Restaurant I have ever been to, Stateside and in Turkey. Granted, there are some things that just aren't the same (fresh bread from the local bakery is not the same as it is in Turkey).

We had the Adana kebab and İskender kebab and both were to die for! The lentil soup was good on a cold evening.

We topped off our experience with baklava, unfortunately, they make it American style, using walnuts instead of pistachios, but it was delicious nonetheless. Highly recommend this place.

Visited November 2012
“Great Food - clean atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We took 2 of our out-of-town friends here before a CSO concert at the Music Hall. We tried the appetizer sampler ($17) and the Shish-K-Bob Sampler (serves four for $55). Both were very, very delicious and there was plenty of food for all four of us. The food came out on time and we were able to bring a bottle of wine in to share (the waiter even opened it for us and provided glasses!). The location is great - right downtown on Vine - near 6th street (parking lot on corner). The interior is clean and the service was very good. I highly recommend this restaurant!