“Wonderful Overnight Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clifton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Clifton House
500 Terrace Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220 (Clifton)   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
subway_kayak
“Wonderful Overnight Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I decided to treat myself to a 1st-time visit to Cincy after a week of business in Indy. I was debating whether to stay in the Gaslight District or downtown, and having chose the former, I had a really fantastic stay. First, the neighborhood is suburban and so has ample street parking and a couple minutes' walk to Ludlow St. which has a fun funky youthful vibe with eateries, a cool historic movie theatre & even a CVS (for convenience!) As for The Clifton House, I felt as though I was stepping back in time into a grandiose turn-of-the-century home (although I'm not sure of its history!) The interior is beautiful, with solid-wood furnishings, beautiful marble and classic tub in the bathroom and overall impeccably clean. The proprietor was very hospitable, leading me right to a fresh platter of brownies and some very good red wine upon my arrival. Breakfast was delicious and gourmet. Highly recommended!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fishers, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed here last weekend. The house is beautiful, and Nancy was very welcoming, pleasant and nice. I will say after staying at a few bed and breakfasts I was a little disappointed with a few things. The first was the cleanliness of our room. It was extremely dusty and our entire family kept sneezing all night. My son woke up with a nose bleed, I believe from the excess sneezing. My son's toy car went under the bed, and when he reached under to get it, he pulled out a dirty sock and his arm was covered in dust.. Ewwww!!! There was also a used towel hanging on the back of our door... You could tell by looking at it it was clearly dirty. The second floor fridge was not stocked as noted in description. There was no bottled water offered any where that I saw. Again.. Just from my previous stays at other bed and breakfast that is just the norm, everyone offered bottled water. This is clearly my fault for not asking in advance. I guess we have just been spoiled, as in the past inn keepers have just gone above and beyond and just take care of us. I should have asked /requested a different breakfast for our kids. We had been given permission to bring them, so I naturally thought the breakfast may have a child friendly options. While I in no way expect a whole menu of kid food, french toast, pancakes, crepes or fresh fruit would have been appreciated. The kids very politely excused themselves from the table. We left shortly after as the kids were hungry and we needed to get them breakfast elsewhere. Again let me say the inn keeper was nice and the house is beautiful. We appreciate her allowing us to bring our kids. I definitely think this inn has a few opportunities for improvement.. but was very nicely decorated and our suite was very spacious. I guess I feel strongly that at $187.00 per night, I expect a clean room and maybe some bottled water.

• Stayed September 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently had my wedding reception at the Clifton House. My new husband and the wedding party spent the night and could not have asked for a better experience. It started with me looking for an intimate place for the reception and some perks for our out of town guests to make the wedding process easy for them. When I intially toured the facility I liked it, I felt the warmth that I wanted my friends and family to feel. Nancy was wonderful to work with, accomodating and worked with me along the way.......I knew the event would come off without a hitch. In addition my guests loved the facility, the beds were comfy, the sheets were great,and I'm a sheet snob! We were so comfortable, we ALL felt immediately at home, the breakfast the next morning was delish, just enough and flavorable, with a nice presentation. It was a lovely, warm, wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All rooms on the second floor are great. The top floor are not as bright. The cottage is very cute...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a 1900 built B&B within walking distance to great restaurants, colleges and the Gaslight district. The room was nicely appointed and clean. The breakfasts prepared by Chef Brian were perfect and delicious. Each morning brought something tasty to experience. Nancy is a delightful host providing answers to any questions, history on the house and wine and treats at 5:00. The glass of wine after a day of wondering around Cincinnati was most welcome. Sleeping was easy as the B&B is very quiet. The WiFi signal is great allowing us to get everything done we needed. An extraordinary mansion that is worthy of multiple visits, which we are definitely planning to do.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lovely Garden room, but every room looked great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pensylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a terrific bed and breakfast located close to UC in a quiet neighborhood. Homey and spacious bedrooms rooms, beautifully decorated and comfortable common areas (library, living room, dining room), a breezy porch and terrific service. Nancy provides brownies and wine (or soda) at 5 every day and a fabulous breakfast. This is our regular place when visiting our son.

Room Tip: I don't think you can make a mistake with any room. There is one that opens on to a 2nd floor p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

From the moment we walked in and met Nancy, the proprietor we felt at home. The rooms on the main floor are impeccable and filled with glorious art. The house is just beautiful inside and out. The beds are comfortable, the a/c worked well, which is important in Cincy in the summertime, and the rooms are all very quaint with different themes. Loved it here and will go back!

Room Tip: For large families, ask for the third floor! The carriage house is also very special, but all the ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Medina, OH USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at Clifton House several times while in the Cincinnati area for business. I have always found the property to be very comfortable, quiet and convenient for walking to local restaurants and businesses. Nancy makes me feel welcome at each visit and is always available but never intrusive. I think the rooms are very spacious, the mattresses are excellent and the bed linens are of high quality. The house has tons of charm and the common areas are so expansive, from the formal living room to the huge front porch with rocking chairs to the shaded back patio, you can always find a semi private spot to read, work or relax. I lived in an 80+ year-old home for many years and I know how hard it can be to make the home appear sparkling clean, regardless of how many hours you actually spend cleaning it. I have never found Clifton House to be unclean and am surprised any former guests would feel that way. This is not a Hampton Inn, so you shouldn't expect an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. What you will find is a fresh-made breakfast, served at the time you request and adapted to your dietary needs if necessary. (Vegetarian options are always available). I have enjoyed every breakfast at Clifton House and find the breakfast offerings to be very creative and unique thanks to Nancy hiring students from the nearby culinary institute to prepare the meals. On my recent stay we were served fresh baked blueberry scones and poached salmon over julienne vegetables one morning and a fresh fruit cup and mushroom risotto topped with an egg the following morning. Fresh juices, water and coffee are served as well. The Wi-Fi signal was strong throughout the house during my recent visit. I'll be looking forward to my next stay at Clifton House.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clifton House? Share your experiences!