“Cincinnati Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clifton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Clifton House
You added Clifton House to your Saves list
500 Terrace Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220 (Clifton)   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
Pensylvania
“Cincinnati Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a terrific bed and breakfast located close to UC in a quiet neighborhood. Homey and spacious bedrooms rooms, beautifully decorated and comfortable common areas (library, living room, dining room), a breezy porch and terrific service. Nancy provides brownies and wine (or soda) at 5 every day and a fabulous breakfast. This is our regular place when visiting our son.

Room Tip: I don't think you can make a mistake with any room. There is one that opens on to a 2nd floor p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Akron, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

From the moment we walked in and met Nancy, the proprietor we felt at home. The rooms on the main floor are impeccable and filled with glorious art. The house is just beautiful inside and out. The beds are comfortable, the a/c worked well, which is important in Cincy in the summertime, and the rooms are all very quaint with different themes. Loved it here and will go back!

Room Tip: For large families, ask for the third floor! The carriage house is also very special, but all the ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Medina, OH USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at Clifton House several times while in the Cincinnati area for business. I have always found the property to be very comfortable, quiet and convenient for walking to local restaurants and businesses. Nancy makes me feel welcome at each visit and is always available but never intrusive. I think the rooms are very spacious, the mattresses are excellent and the bed linens are of high quality. The house has tons of charm and the common areas are so expansive, from the formal living room to the huge front porch with rocking chairs to the shaded back patio, you can always find a semi private spot to read, work or relax. I lived in an 80+ year-old home for many years and I know how hard it can be to make the home appear sparkling clean, regardless of how many hours you actually spend cleaning it. I have never found Clifton House to be unclean and am surprised any former guests would feel that way. This is not a Hampton Inn, so you shouldn't expect an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. What you will find is a fresh-made breakfast, served at the time you request and adapted to your dietary needs if necessary. (Vegetarian options are always available). I have enjoyed every breakfast at Clifton House and find the breakfast offerings to be very creative and unique thanks to Nancy hiring students from the nearby culinary institute to prepare the meals. On my recent stay we were served fresh baked blueberry scones and poached salmon over julienne vegetables one morning and a fresh fruit cup and mushroom risotto topped with an egg the following morning. Fresh juices, water and coffee are served as well. The Wi-Fi signal was strong throughout the house during my recent visit. I'll be looking forward to my next stay at Clifton House.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of B&B's. This one was not good. I noticed the uncleanliness right away because we came in the back door near the kitchen. Stove was not clean. The hostess was nice and helpful but a little distracted. There was also only unfiltered tap water. The coffee in the morning was right outside the door which was good, but the placement of the cups on top of magazines was not good.
The room was nice and big but the tub was very high and hard to enter. I told her my husband was disabled and she should have mentioned this would not be a good place for us to stay. There was a heated bath mat at or tub floor that that just about burned my feet. My husband was totally unable to get in the tub at all.
The food was cooked by a real chef but was not enough for a bird. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Any room OK
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stay at Clifton House when we visit Cincinnati, at least once a year. We love it. Comfortable, elegant, super friendly innkeeper, delicious breakfast, excellent location. Nancy is delightful, thoughtful, understanding. She will find a way to meet your needs. For example on a recent trip, the house was full, but she still managed to find us a lovely setting to spend the last night of our journey. It is like all problems dissolve at her door. A true rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, and enjoyed our time. The house has so much character, it's fun just to sit and read, play piano or pool. We stayed in the garden suite which would be excellent in the summer as it features a 2nd floor patio with plants/flowers. As other posts have mentioned, you get brownies and wine when you check in. Another treat the whole place smells like breakfast all the time. Last perk, meeting interesting people at breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Avon Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a superb place if you have business at the University of Cincinnati. A great location very close to UC, and still within walking distance of great restaurants and other amenities. The host, Nancy, has seen to every detail, including complimentary wines, soft drinks, home baked brownies, and even fresh coffee outside your door at 6 AM. Breakfast was substantial, and prepared by a chef-graduate of the University culinary school. Do not stay in a business hotel downtown when you can be close and stay in a place like home. Rooms are large, well appointed, and have the modern touches sometimes missing from B & Bs.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main house upstairs, such as the Romantic room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clifton House? Share your experiences!