“Another enjoyable stay at Clifton House” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clifton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Clifton House
500 Terrace Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220 (Clifton)   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
Medina, OH USA
“Another enjoyable stay at Clifton House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at Clifton House several times while in the Cincinnati area for business. I have always found the property to be very comfortable, quiet and convenient for walking to local restaurants and businesses. Nancy makes me feel welcome at each visit and is always available but never intrusive. I think the rooms are very spacious, the mattresses are excellent and the bed linens are of high quality. The house has tons of charm and the common areas are so expansive, from the formal living room to the huge front porch with rocking chairs to the shaded back patio, you can always find a semi private spot to read, work or relax. I lived in an 80+ year-old home for many years and I know how hard it can be to make the home appear sparkling clean, regardless of how many hours you actually spend cleaning it. I have never found Clifton House to be unclean and am surprised any former guests would feel that way. This is not a Hampton Inn, so you shouldn't expect an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. What you will find is a fresh-made breakfast, served at the time you request and adapted to your dietary needs if necessary. (Vegetarian options are always available). I have enjoyed every breakfast at Clifton House and find the breakfast offerings to be very creative and unique thanks to Nancy hiring students from the nearby culinary institute to prepare the meals. On my recent stay we were served fresh baked blueberry scones and poached salmon over julienne vegetables one morning and a fresh fruit cup and mushroom risotto topped with an egg the following morning. Fresh juices, water and coffee are served as well. The Wi-Fi signal was strong throughout the house during my recent visit. I'll be looking forward to my next stay at Clifton House.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of B&B's. This one was not good. I noticed the uncleanliness right away because we came in the back door near the kitchen. Stove was not clean. The hostess was nice and helpful but a little distracted. There was also only unfiltered tap water. The coffee in the morning was right outside the door which was good, but the placement of the cups on top of magazines was not good.
The room was nice and big but the tub was very high and hard to enter. I told her my husband was disabled and she should have mentioned this would not be a good place for us to stay. There was a heated bath mat at or tub floor that that just about burned my feet. My husband was totally unable to get in the tub at all.
The food was cooked by a real chef but was not enough for a bird. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Any room OK
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stay at Clifton House when we visit Cincinnati, at least once a year. We love it. Comfortable, elegant, super friendly innkeeper, delicious breakfast, excellent location. Nancy is delightful, thoughtful, understanding. She will find a way to meet your needs. For example on a recent trip, the house was full, but she still managed to find us a lovely setting to spend the last night of our journey. It is like all problems dissolve at her door. A true rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, and enjoyed our time. The house has so much character, it's fun just to sit and read, play piano or pool. We stayed in the garden suite which would be excellent in the summer as it features a 2nd floor patio with plants/flowers. As other posts have mentioned, you get brownies and wine when you check in. Another treat the whole place smells like breakfast all the time. Last perk, meeting interesting people at breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Avon Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a superb place if you have business at the University of Cincinnati. A great location very close to UC, and still within walking distance of great restaurants and other amenities. The host, Nancy, has seen to every detail, including complimentary wines, soft drinks, home baked brownies, and even fresh coffee outside your door at 6 AM. Breakfast was substantial, and prepared by a chef-graduate of the University culinary school. Do not stay in a business hotel downtown when you can be close and stay in a place like home. Rooms are large, well appointed, and have the modern touches sometimes missing from B & Bs.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main house upstairs, such as the Romantic room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Woodridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Our host Nancy, was warm and welcoming. She had just baked brownies waiting for us...delicious! I was tagging along with my hubby, who was traveling on business. MUCH better than staying in a hotel. Our room was clean, our bed was comfortable, and the atmosphere was peaceful. The only thing i guess i was not impressed with was breakfast. It was ok. I think they were stumped with what to make for vegans. I suggest they become better prepared for any type of diet. It's within walking distance to some very good restaurants. Nice, old and historic neighborhood. Loved it!

• Stayed November 2012
Starkville, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Ms. Nancy was fantastic. This was the best B&B experience I have had by far! Breakfast was unreasonably delicious, made the meals I ate at my business convention seem crappy by comparison. The house was beautiful and proximity to the yuppy fabulous Clifton district made it fun to go eat in the evenings and drink beer at Arlin's.
Will come again! This was strong strong strong, well worth the money.

Room Tip: Its all good. Have some complimentary wine too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clifton House? Share your experiences!