“Outstanding museum” 5 of 5 stars
Review of National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
50 E Freedom Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)
513 333 7500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 87 Attractions in Cincinnati
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center stands as the nation's newest monument to freedom. It brings to life the importance - and relevance - of struggles for freedom around the world and throughout history, including today.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
“Outstanding museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

What an amazing museum. If you go anywhere in downtown Cincinatti, go here. The museum is a beautiful tribute to freedom for all races, creeds and colors.

Visited June 2013

Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As someone who has read quite a bit about the history of American slavery and the Underground Railroad, I found this museum to be fascinating. To walk inside an actual (not reproduction) slave pen and see the shackles bolted to the ceiling and floor gave me pause. It was interesting to notice that no one dared to touch them.

Obviously this museum comes under the category of ‘education’ rather than ‘entertainment’, but I think the museum did a good job of making sure there were sections of each exhibit that kids would find interesting without overwhelming them. However - the "Slavery Today" section may be a bit much for kids to handle.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I must admit that much of my impression comes from our tour guide. He was awesome! He made the history come to life for us. Be sure to take in the videos as well as the modern slavery portion too. This museum is a top notch teaching tool for current and future generations.

Louisville, Kentucky
8 attraction reviews
“Great museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went with my child's class for a school field trip. Everyone really enjoyed the visit. We had a guided tour. The guide showed the shackles and how they worked. They also had the chance to learn what it was like to be a child drummer boy during the Civil War. The video of a slave trying to escape to Ohio was very meaningful. I highly recommend this museum to anyone, but particularly for school field trips. In speaking with other parents who attended, the only disappointment that anyone had was that our school only allotted 2 hours for the visit.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
“Go more than once if you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stopped here for a visit on our way thru Cincinnati. I would love to have had more time and capacity. There is too much info to absorb in a single visit. We spent 3 hours there and I could easily have spent twice that much time. I particularly enjoyed the exhibits that related experiences of actual individuals. Just couldn't read as much as I would have liked. Even if you know the basics of the Underground Railroad, you will find so much new information. All of us should know more about this part of our history.