“Know your History” 4 of 5 stars
Review of National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
50 E Freedom Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)
513 333 7500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 63 Attractions in Cincinnati
Type: History Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center stands as the nation's newest monument to freedom. It brings to life the importance - and relevance - of struggles for freedom around the world and throughout history, including today.
Clearwater, Florida
28 attraction reviews
“Know your History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went there over the summer and was surprised the things I did not know about slavery. Cincinnati as a major stop on the Underground Railroad it's the perfect place. It also has a nice chronological time line tracing our roots through the civil war.

Visited July 2012

Sacramento, California
5 attraction reviews
“Informative History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you think you know a little something about slavery and issues surrounding the subject, think again. I am former diversity and black history teacher and thought I knew alot about the subjects. But, going through the center broadened my knowledge through its impressive array of artifacts and information. The center helps bring new meaning towards understanding a subject that most of us know very little about either because of shame or history "lost, stolen, or strayed."

Visited January 2013
Columbus, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Costly for what it promises. I didn't take much in the way of history away that I didn't already know. What staff we encountered acted as though they had better places to be.

Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
50 attraction reviews
“Members”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were members for a while. Very unique museum you have to see at least once in your life. It's very sad but so important.

Tucson, Arizona
30 attraction reviews
“Provacative, an historical lesson.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It has been several years since my visit but I will say I enjoyed the time spent. I thought the displays were between provacative to disconcerting. The topic is so far out of our character today it seems impossible. But it wasn't impossible, in fact it was a way of life. Facets of this way of life are demonstrated through several mediums beginning with the haunting slave holding building through many display examples and brief movies each telling a story.

For me the most disconcering display is a brass sculpture depicting a group of men chained by the neck to a store front. After you catch your breath the reality dawns, these are not criminals - these men are for sale!

It is done with, slavery is gone but the memory is still with us. A person can study events in books but text will only reveal so much. The past is best visited in a museum, better if a living history museum. At the end of a day, each visitor will add his money and effort and determine worth. My wife and I found great value in our visit. I recommend this museum highly.

Visited February 2012