“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
50 E Freedom Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)
513 333 7500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 62 Attractions in Cincinnati
Type: History Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center stands as the nation's newest monument to freedom. It brings to life the importance - and relevance - of struggles for freedom around the world and throughout history, including today.
Columbus, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Costly for what it promises. I didn't take much in the way of history away that I didn't already know. What staff we encountered acted as though they had better places to be.

Visited January 2013

Cincinnati, Ohio
50 attraction reviews
“Members”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were members for a while. Very unique museum you have to see at least once in your life. It's very sad but so important.

Tucson, Arizona
20 attraction reviews
“Provacative, an historical lesson.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It has been several years since my visit but I will say I enjoyed the time spent. I thought the displays were between provacative to disconcerting. The topic is so far out of our character today it seems impossible. But it wasn't impossible, in fact it was a way of life. Facets of this way of life are demonstrated through several mediums beginning with the haunting slave holding building through many display examples and brief movies each telling a story.

For me the most disconcering display is a brass sculpture depicting a group of men chained by the neck to a store front. After you catch your breath the reality dawns, these are not criminals - these men are for sale!

It is done with, slavery is gone but the memory is still with us. A person can study events in books but text will only reveal so much. The past is best visited in a museum, better if a living history museum. At the end of a day, each visitor will add his money and effort and determine worth. My wife and I found great value in our visit. I recommend this museum highly.

Visited February 2012
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
14 attraction reviews
“Everyone should go at least once.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

There was nothing I disliked about it. It was educational, it reminded me that youhave to stand uo for what you believe in. The range of emotions that are evoked by what you see and here might surprize you.

Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
“Interesting...but something seems missing?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

As with most other attractions in Cincinnati, I felt the Underground Freedom Center was over priced for what there is to see and do there; a couple of nicely done-films, a cabin once used to sell slaves and an interesting "computer lab" that gives a scenario for you to resolve. But that's about it...there's just something exciting missing from the museum. It was okay, but I wouldn't go back again.

Visited December 2012