“Average but neat place” 3 of 5 stars

513-421-2337
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Moerlein Lager House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 1,729 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mehring Way
Description: The heritage of Cincinnati's storied brewing history comes alive along the banks of the Ohio River at this world-class restaurant and brewery. Prominently situated in the dynamic Smale Riverfront Park, the Moerlein Lager House offers a guest experience unlike any other—a working microbrewery producing a full line of Moerlein craft brews, and delectable fare featuring grain spent breads, hand-carved sandwiches, and smoked rotisserie meats… foods reminiscent of those served in the city’s celebrated 19th century beer gardens.
Indy
“Average but neat place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

One busy place after a reds game - definitely get reservations! That being said cant say I was bowled over. The wife had the BBQ pork but found it way too spicy. It came with sautéed green beans but no mention on menu of them having maple on them (surprise sweet!). I had the prime rib which was tender but very dry. I chose the Parmesan risotto as my side and it wasn't cooked and was basically tasteless. Dessert was a saving grace as the chocolate s'more cake was the best part of the meal. It's a neat place in a cool location so I would tell you to give it a try but ask your server if you're unsure about what's on the menu.

Visited May 2013

85% Recommend
Great White North
“Consistently Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's time for Moerlein's finest beer to be on tap, that would be Saengerfest, a Maibock, as delicious as ever. This large casual-themed restaurant is efficiently operated and its kitchen continues to turn out terrific food from and across an ambitious menu.

We had a recent dinner on the lower level at a river-view table with an outstanding waiter, Zach! He was very accommodating to all of our requests, and the service was generally crisp, unobtrusive, and efficient. We're pushin' beer here, so water is served only on request, but comes quickly when ordered. You can get your own, 'table-appropriate' 4-pull mini tap if you are serious beer samplers or thirsty enough, a nice touch that adds to having a good time.

Our table ordered excellent Caesar salads, generous, crisp, delicious dressing. The steak frites was so good no tastes were offered to the other diners at table; salmon was moist and flavorful, and the burger I had was custom-fixed with some toppings subtracted and others added to create in my opinion a perfect dish! Our caramel dessert was the perfect ender, just enough when split several ways to satisfy without destroying the next morning's visit to the scales!

Only problem: everyone way-flunked the "how much was the bill" contest, it was 20% LOWER than our lowest guess. If this is the only thing that goes wrong on your evening, as it was for ours, I think you can handle it.

Another new Cincinnati restaurant where it can be honestly said "Go, you will not be disappointed!"

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sanford, NC
“Great Food...and Brews Too...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was a fun place to eat. There was food to please anyone's tastes! Seafood, Ribs, Meatloaf, Chicken, Steaks, Pork...and our group of six tried six different entrees and there were raves from each of us! Several of our group tried different Lagers, and they really enjoyed their choices. The location next to the Red's stadium is very easy to find and usually means the place is packed...but with the Reds out of town, we were able to get a table. The service was outstanding...the atmosphere equally so...parking is abundant in a parking deck located under the restaurant...cost us $7 for the time we were eating. I recommend you try and get a table next the windows on the river side for some super views while you eat.

Price-wise...they have items from inexpensive to expensive...you can eat cheap..or break the bank if you desire the high-priced entrees. The onion rings are GREAT!! Families with children are certainly welcome...but I can imagine there could be times when some parents might not be comfortable having their children at the restaurant.

Certainly a must place to eat when you are in Cincinnati...but probably easier to try on a night when there are no Red's games.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, Ohio
“Let's Try Again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It was our fault to begin with. We went to the Morelein Lager House on a Saturday Evening for dinner on a friends birthday. There was one available table in the 1st come 1st serve seating section, and the wait for a group of 15 would have been hours.
The beer was good. I enjoy the variety in Morelein's portfolio. If you are adventurous enough to climb the steps, you'll also find several other quality craft beers unrelated to Morelein.
The dining areas are spacious and clean but turn to elbow room once the happy hour crowd appears. The floor to ceiling windows offer a great view of the river, the bridges, and Newport, KY.
Before I describe my dinner experience, I'd like to state that most of our party ordered burgers and raved about them through the evening. My wife and I did not have such an experience. NEVER ORDER THE SHRIMP CAESAR FLATBREAD! First of all, it was not enough to feed two. Secondly, when the bread cooled down it became rock hard. Lastly, the toppings were shrimp and lettuce drisled with Caesar dressing. A buddy of mine was kind enough to offer me a bite of his meatloaf, though, which had a very unique barbecue base.
I definitely recommend that you give the Morelein House a shot, as I'm looking forward to giving it another. Plan ahead, though, or you'll be very hungry, waiting, and dealing with a crowd.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Littleton, Colorado
“Good view of the river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We liked the history of the place. The food was good. We had a difficult time getting our group of 10 seated together. It was crazy busy due to the Reds playing. We ended up getting two tables one of 4 and one of 6. Yet there were other tables that could have been put together to accommodate us.

Visited May 2013