“Unusual atmosphere, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Birmingham, Alabama
“Unusual atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Visited for a late lunch in February. Wife had the deep fried hotdogs & raved about how good they were.. I don't eat hotdogs so I have no opinion on them. I had the rids and they were good.Very tender with a dry rub seasoning. I'm more of a hot / tangy liquid sauce kinda guy, but they were good. The place is very small, but that's part of it's charm. Go Check it out for yourself.

Visited February 2013

Huntsville, AL
“Hole-in-the-Wall with Really Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

After driving past it twice - there's very little signage, so look for the pig in the window - we found Eli's, sort of a barbecue pit meets 60s70s flashback (with music picked by the diners ranging from Bob Dylan to the Allman Brothers). When you enter, there'll probably be a short line - there was for the entire lunch hour we were there. There's not really an official menu, you just order at the counter off the chalkboard.

Reviewing only the things we ordered:
(1) the ribs were really good and had a great flavor, a dry rub that reminded us of Rendezvous in Memphis. We ordered "six bones" but when our order arrived, there were at least eight full-sized ribs.
(2) the jalapeño cheese grits were really delicious, probably the best part of the meal to me, though I'll admit I anticipated more "heat." Still, really really good.
(3) my wife liked the mac-and-cheese even better than the grits. This side was tasty and really hit the spot on a cold February afternoon.

Speaking of cold, you should know that seating in the restaurant is somewhat limited, but there is plenty of seating outside in/under the tent. If the temperature outside is comfortable, the tent is a great option.

Helpful Hints:
(1) arrive early if you're in a huge rush. This is a popular place with good food, but the wait will be worth it.
(2) get several sides to share. They're big enough for two.
(3) don't forget: as you look for Eli's storefront, forget signage -- look for the pig.

Cinn, OH
“Eli's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband said he wanted to take me somewhere different one day at lunch. Well he had read about Eli's BBQ on trip advisor and boy was I surprised, their pulled pork sandwich was really good, even the bun was tasty, I really loved their cole slaw, husband loved the grits. Their bbq beans were so different and good. Portions are large for what you are paying.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“get the mashed potatoes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently was traveling to Cincinnati for business and was looking for something fun and quick for dinner. As a BBQ lover, I was interested in the reviews I saw for Eli's. The food was great, and while the indoor seating was small they had a heated tent with picnic tables.

I loved all the parts of my meal and only wish I could go back and try some more. I had the pulled pork sandwich (with slaw on top) mashed potatoes and mac & cheese.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Local Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Eli's is a small but quaint. They have an old record player and tons of records you can select and play while eating. It's very cute. The food however, is unbelivable! Very small menu but whats on the menu is all great! The smoked turkey is my favorite by far!!! They have a few tables inside and picnic tables outside, you can also get it to go. Great spot for lunch!

• Visited September 2012