“Worst in a while I'm afraid” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jimmy Gs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 1,653 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 4th St. and 5th St.
Description: We dry age our prime and choice steaks in house and they are prepared on a wood grill using a mix of select hardwoods. We have an equal number of fish and steak offerings. Our wine selection has offerings from around the world. We have a rotating offering of local craft draft beers. Jimmy G's is a fun place to meet, eat & drink. We are in downtown Cincinnati, next to the Convention Center & Hyatt, Hilton, and Millennium Hotels.
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Worst in a while I'm afraid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Wow... Where to start? Came here because of high tripadvisor scores. Lets talk about decor first - which is a personal taste thing - but you are essentially In The basement of a building ... Which could be ok but the beads, aged decor and jacked up light fixtures make this place perfect for 1978. We get off to a bad start right away with the wine list. I immediately see they have Jordan Cabernet which is a personal fave. My eyes move to the right and I nearly pass out at the $146 price tag. I know the wholesale price of this wine is $30-$35. Most places i have been all over the country its $80-$100 - So at best that's a ridiculous markup under the best of circumstances. I understand downtown overhead is high but holy cow ! We end up ordering 2008 Barolo at $78 not bad.

We order the crab cake appetizer. It's cold. Ok well maybe it's just that way. $15 gets you ONE small-medium crab cake. Uh well ok, maybe the entree will save the day.

We order the "special reserve dry aged strip" and ask to split this 14 ounce beauty of 40 day dry aged steak. We order it medium and ask to have it split in half. We also order a side of macaroni and cheese ( which is actually ziti and cheese but hey pasta is pasta, right?).

The steak comes out. First, it is not cut in half - it's sliced. Ok no big deal. So we split it onto our plates. I personally like a medium rare but ordered it medium because the wife likes little more cooked. So when I realize its still too rare for me (literally cold in the middle) I KNOW it's not good for her and I'm right. So we send it back - one of our 3 (!) waiters, who actually was great and sincerely apologetic, says they will try again.

They leave the side of Mac n Cheese so we nosh on that while we wait on attempt #2. Finally it comes out. At this point we been around so long that we almost have taken out our bottle of wine and now the Mac n cheese is cold. They don't offer us more wine or a "hot" side to go with our new steak. At least this time they cut it in half and didn't slice it.

DOH it's still rare. While its better than last effort it's still NOWHERE close to medium. I mean at that point if its "close" I eat it and move on - well it's not close . At this point the wife is leery to send it back because in many years of dining out this would be a first I frankly cannot do it and we send it back a third time.

And here's where they go from C minus to utter fail. They bring back effort #3 and they have taken effort #2 and just Further heated it. On what planet is it ok to charge $58 for a steak and just further heat it after screwing it up? The crust at this point is terribly burnt and its awful. I mean AWFUL. I'm writing this three hours later and the charred burnt taste is still in my mouth.

Now as attempt #3 comes... Do they ask if we would like a replacement side for our now ice cold Mac n cheese? Uh negative.

How do you charge these prices and not notice that? We were seated at 7:25 it's now close to 9....and our "side" has been on table for 20 minutes while we wait for steak attempt #2 and #3....

There are some positives. Everyone, especially the gal bussing tables and doing water was sincerely apologetic and the manager did come out and comp the steak from the bill. As I've had a few hours to think about it I'm pretty sure that was still not enough to "make this right." I've been trying to remember the last time I was this disappointed in a place and I can't come up with one so there you go.

I'm not one to really hammer a place (see my review history) but this was the first "Fail" I have given out in some time and after a lot of thought its well deserved. I cannot in good faith even remotely recommend this place especially after the lame "cook further" attempt on the steak the third time - that was just so wrong I can't comprehend it.

Visited April 2013

Oneonta, New York
“MMMM Pork Belly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The pork belly appetizer was awesome and fresh cut fries cooked sequentially in chicken fat, beef fat, lamb fat, and then pork fat cannot be beat. Great wine list. Only disappointment (and this may be a big one) the steak was just okay. I went for a rib-eye steak and discovered that they only prepare topped with pork belly and recommend cooked medium or longer. Now I love pork belly, but I also love a well marbled rare steak. The waiter informed me that because it is combined with the pork the particular rib eye they serve is very lean and must be cooked medium or longer to render the fat from the PB. I was recommended their premium strip if I wanted a rare marbled steak. In the end it was a bit tough but flavorful. Would go back for the PB and fries

Visited March 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Perfect Romantic Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our first visit to Jimmy G's. None of our friends have even hear of the place.
The bar was great...cool atmosphere and fantastic service. The two girls behind the bar never stopped moving. Rihanna recommended the spare ribs after we turned down her first suggestion, crab cakes. They were smokey and delicious.
The dinner room was not at all crowded for a Saturday night...we are guessing word about this great place has yet to get out!
Our waitress. Dana, was perfect! She made great recommendation, she was upbeat and knowledgable about the menu and made it a wonderful experience.
The caesar salad was one of the best and the lobster and shrimp bisque was incredible. For our main course we had the filet and the pork grillbits. Both entrees were prepared perfectly.
We saw Chef Jimmy in the dining room with his white chef jacket and torn jeans...
GREAT PLACE!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Best Restaurant in Cincinnati!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I travel often for business, and this is the only place I eat anytime I'm in Cincinnati.

The Prime New York Strip is the best steak I've had anywhere on the planet that isn't named Luger's. My guests had the Lamb Shank (which was so tender the meat just fell off the bone) and the Scallops, which were served with mashed kobocha squash - a personal favorite of mine.

The Potatoes Raclette was probably my favorite starter - but its close...the Shrimp cocktail is better than anything you will find on the coast (which sounds unbelievable, I know) and the Arm and a Leg looks like something from Le Cirque (and half the price). Both are outstanding!

I also loved the Potato Aligot - and although I didn't try them, my associate said the brussel sprouts with red chile paste were the best he'd ever had.

Our server's name was Sidney, and she too was fantastic. Extremely knowledgeable and accommodating (one of my other guests has some serious food allergies, which she easily discussed and handled without further issue). I even got to meet the owner, a young man who's name I forget (sorry!) but who was exceedingly gracious and vibrant.

A+, 5 star quality and service - would highly recommend to anyone! Thanks and see you soon!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio
“I Can't Argue With Delicious Food, But.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Let me start by saying our food was really enjoyable. (My 3 stars equals 5 for the food and 1-2 stars for everything else). My husband had the strip steak, perfectly cooked, and I the duck combination that was on special last weekend. Both dishes, along with our sides of 4 fat fries and brussels sprouts, were spot on: the kitchen nailed it.

While the food itself was fantastic, my husband I and still left a little confused by this place. The food is top notch, but everything else we experienced felt awkward and unpolished.

Valet parking- happened to be unavailable that night due to a convention in town. If you plan on sticking around as a business, you may want to secure your parking and not make it a gamble for your patrons. The valet himself was just as disappointed in the situation as we were and was very apologetic.

The hostesses- We came in to 3 girls huddled around the greeting stand giggling and gossiping. We stood there awkwardly for the 10 seconds it took them to figure out someone had just walked in. No one offered to take coats, so we got to eat our meal with my coat and scarf hanging from the back of my chair (we were wondering if a coat room existed until we saw there was a coat room on the way out).

The service- Our service was fine. Our guy Nicholas was great...very informative regarding the menu and a good part of our night! It was the other servers that caught our eyes (and ears). We had a table for two along the 'wall' that consists of only silver beads and it seems that the waitstaff has forgotten that it's not soundproof. We heard everything from multiple arguments between waitstaff, general gossip and conversation, to a waitress rocking out dancing to some song that was on in the bar area.

All and all I beg you: please tighten everything else up, because people want a relaxing, enjoyable experience along with your delicious food!

• Visited January 2013