“Did not hold up to the reviews” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jimmy Gs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 1,747 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 4th St. and 5th St.
Description: We dry age our prime and choice steaks in house and they are prepared on a wood grill using a mix of select hardwoods. We have an equal number of fish and steak offerings. Our wine selection has offerings from around the world. We have a rotating offering of local craft draft beers. Jimmy G's is a fun place to meet, eat & drink. We are in downtown Cincinnati, next to the Convention Center & Hyatt, Hilton, and Millennium Hotels.
St.Louis
“Did not hold up to the reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I always pride myself on doing a lot of research when I go to a new city. That is what I did no my last trip to Cincinnati. After looking at many options, I chose this one. The location was close to my hotel. The pictures on the website made it look trendy and upscale. In reality, when you walk in you go down a flight of stairs into what looked look like a 60s throw back gone bad. I was in a horrible dining room in a booth. There were no windows and the furniture ,while trying to be cool, looked outdated. The server was just ok. He was quite anoyed that we did not like the first bottle of wine as it had turned. Then they were out of our next 3 choices! Finally, we got a wine that was just ok for $80.00 a bottle. The food was average at best . We all had fish instead of Steak which may have been our first mistake. It was overcooked and bland. The brussel sprouts were very good. Their signature mac and cheese tasted old and crusty and bland. For desert we split a chocolate cake that tasted like chalk! I would not recomend this restaurtant to anyone and will not be returning!

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
“Amazing food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a date night at Jimmy G's and were very impressed by our meal. We enjoyed a four course meal and savoured every single bite of our meal. The house salad is amazing and the picnic chicken is heavenly! One of their side dishes is called 4 Fat Fries, these are addictive and a must have!! The presentation and service were excellent, we truly enjoyed our evening. As a foodie I could not have been more pleased!

Tip when you make your reservation, ask for a booth. It also appeared a band was setting up in the bar area, this would be a great place to go with a group of friends. Enjoy!

ft mitchell, ky
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I first heard of Chef Jimmy Gibson when I saw him on some Food Network show 10 plus years ago. The show was a forerunner to Iron Chef in that the 2 competing chefs were given multiple ingredients they had to include in their presentations and were then judged. Jimmy won 3 of 4 shows ( I think he should have won all ). I was so impressed with the smooth, comfortable way he handled the ingredients, to produce meals I would love to eat, I told myself back then, I would have to eat from a menu he prepared.

Last night was my opportunity.

We went on the occasion of our 43rd anniversary. When making the reservation, in response to their request for our phone number, I told them we would definitely be there as it was our 43rd anniversary.

On arrival,the hostess wished us a happy anniversary. Subsequently, every staff member we encountered wished us a happy anniversary, including the chef Jimmy G. who came from the kitchen to our table.

The 4 course meal was excellent, from the soup of the day, to the salads ( me a Caesar with anchovy and my wife with the house salad,excellent ), to the main course of filet of rib eye, accompanied with our choices of decadent mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus with a great vinaigrette, to the finale of creme brulee ice cream.

On the night we were there, the service was excellent. The waiter was attentive and gave an excellent description of the food offered. He also watched our wine glass level and returned to refill the level of our glasses. A manager followed up by circulating in the room, talking to guests, to ensure everything was to satisfaction

Bussers circled regularly through the room and removed plates as needed. They even wished us a happy anniversary.

With excellent food and service, an inviting ambiance, and readily available parking , we will return again.

• Visited September 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Only open 8 months but off to a great start!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We checked this place out before we decided to eat there
for our anniversary. The lighting and decor make it really special!
Really enjoyed the fine dining experience, great steak and sides are
big enough to share.
My husband had 2 starters and a side for his dinner and that was plenty.
The octupus was really different and tasty.
We wish we would have sat in a booth instead of a table.
Waiter gives a blow by blow description of some of the items on the menu
so if you don't care for that let him know.

• Visited August 2012
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Great food but service was a little lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I make a trip or two to Cincy every year. We have been to all the great food spots in the City and I have to say I love this place. We were trying to decide between Jimmy G's and Jeff Ruby's and decided to give this a shot since we have been to Jeff Ruby's and the Precinct multiple times before. Boy am I glad we chose Jimmy G's. The steak, Dry Aged New York Strip, was one of the best I have ever had. It's hard to rank it since I have been to many of the best steakhouses around the country. This was right up there with a couple of my favorites. My wife had the salmon and loved that as well. We had a side of Asparagus which was grilled and delicious.

The service by our waiter was below average. He seemed more interested in talking to some other customer (which was not his table and probably worked there or something) He also seemed to spend a lot of time at another table. I am very patient with this kind of thing especially when on a weekend vacation because I am never in a hurry. He did not even acknowledge we were there for about 5 minutes then did not come back to take our order for ten more minutes. It did not stop there. Once we received our food I asked him for another cocktail. I was almost done eating when another waiter must of sensed by disgust. He asked how things were and I said it would be nice to get my drink I ordered more than 10 minutes ago. He promptly went and got me the drink. He said he had it remade since my drink was sitting up there watered down. They did comp the drink which was a nice gesture. The waiter was very nice just not interested in helping us. I believe his name is Alberto.

To be fair, it looked like the other waiters were very attentive and always checking up on their tables. I also don't know if we were supposed to get bread since the other tables had it. The bar staff was great while we waited for our table since we were a few minutes early. She made up a martini for my wife when she could not make up her mind. I also had no problem with the location or decor. It was really easy to find and really close to our downtown hotel. I thought the prices were actually very reasonable for a steak of that caliber.

Let me reiterate that the food was phenomenal and I will definitely be back to hopefully better service.

• Visited August 2012