“Great food but service was a little lacking” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jimmy Gs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 1,653 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 4th St. and 5th St.
Description: We dry age our prime and choice steaks in house and they are prepared on a wood grill using a mix of select hardwoods. We have an equal number of fish and steak offerings. Our wine selection has offerings from around the world. We have a rotating offering of local craft draft beers. Jimmy G's is a fun place to meet, eat & drink. We are in downtown Cincinnati, next to the Convention Center & Hyatt, Hilton, and Millennium Hotels.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Great food but service was a little lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I make a trip or two to Cincy every year. We have been to all the great food spots in the City and I have to say I love this place. We were trying to decide between Jimmy G's and Jeff Ruby's and decided to give this a shot since we have been to Jeff Ruby's and the Precinct multiple times before. Boy am I glad we chose Jimmy G's. The steak, Dry Aged New York Strip, was one of the best I have ever had. It's hard to rank it since I have been to many of the best steakhouses around the country. This was right up there with a couple of my favorites. My wife had the salmon and loved that as well. We had a side of Asparagus which was grilled and delicious.

The service by our waiter was below average. He seemed more interested in talking to some other customer (which was not his table and probably worked there or something) He also seemed to spend a lot of time at another table. I am very patient with this kind of thing especially when on a weekend vacation because I am never in a hurry. He did not even acknowledge we were there for about 5 minutes then did not come back to take our order for ten more minutes. It did not stop there. Once we received our food I asked him for another cocktail. I was almost done eating when another waiter must of sensed by disgust. He asked how things were and I said it would be nice to get my drink I ordered more than 10 minutes ago. He promptly went and got me the drink. He said he had it remade since my drink was sitting up there watered down. They did comp the drink which was a nice gesture. The waiter was very nice just not interested in helping us. I believe his name is Alberto.

To be fair, it looked like the other waiters were very attentive and always checking up on their tables. I also don't know if we were supposed to get bread since the other tables had it. The bar staff was great while we waited for our table since we were a few minutes early. She made up a martini for my wife when she could not make up her mind. I also had no problem with the location or decor. It was really easy to find and really close to our downtown hotel. I thought the prices were actually very reasonable for a steak of that caliber.

Let me reiterate that the food was phenomenal and I will definitely be back to hopefully better service.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Best meal I've ever had, hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've been to Jimmy Gs twice now. The first time, the food was excellent, but the service left a sour taste in my mouth . However, the food was so darn good, I had to give it a second try.

On my return visit, the service kinks seemed to have been ironed out. The hostess and server could not have been more helpful, and the server's knowledge of the menu was quite impressive. We ordered the pork belly appetizer and wanted to try the "gribbles," which are meat kebabs that rotate in meat selection daily. The pork belly literally melted in my mouth. Unreal. The kebabs of choice on the evening of our visit were rare seared yellowfin, which were also divine. Three of the four of us at our table had the ribeye; two of us got the boneless, one the bone-in. The bone-in was seriously the size of a small country. I thought my dad was going to pass out due to happiness. The filet of ribeye is the best steak I've ever had. Our fourth diner had the scallops, which she said were the best she's ever had. We ordered Brussels sprouts (at the insistence of our server) and the fat fries. I had never had Brussels sprouts, and thought I never would, but these made a believer out of me.
The drinks were also tasty. We had the "fountain of youth" martinis and they were delicious. Our server even suggested a splash of St. Germain on our second round, which really enhanced the peach and blueberry flavors already in there.
Get there as soon as you can. I love this place.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Delicious food, artfully presented, in a classy contemporary setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife had obtained a gift certificate, and we celebrated an anniversary here. I had steak, she had salmon. We also had soup (I had a spicy chili-like concoction, she had asparagas), side dishes of Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes, a vegetable medley, and we finished with Creme Brulee. There is an extensive (and fairly pricey) wine list. The food presentation is nothing short of magnificent, with all the little touches that set aside a classy place. The candles (and light fixtures) were avacado themed, and the ambiance is classy contemporary. We ate in a large, confortable, U-shaped booth. The food and wine is expensive, but not outrageous. The chef, Jimmy Gibson, is persoanable and came out ot talk to us during the meal. Book it for a special occassion, and I think you will be well satisfied.

cincinnati ohio
“start with the first plate escape before the main plate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The resturaunt is located in a basement and we were seated in a room with a large screen tv right infront of us. The chairs looked like outdoor furniture complete with white criss cross pattern . The carpet was like a garage carpet or industrial bad greade. it was a cross betewwn a hunting lodge with a plastic deer head on one wall and a 60's poetry reading club with large silver beaded window cutouts. Our waiter was also our bartender, our busboy, our captain and our server as he said 3 waiters were out tonight with injuries!. The apps were very good and the drinks after a while was a good serving, we bit on the prime steaks at 59.00 each, but when they came they were just average a lot of grizzle. I left it alone because we had guests but I knew these were not prime steaks no way. the sides were of course the version one table spoon each for 8 bucks. And the rest of the meal took a while( one waiter, busboy for 8 tables and a party of 14 that were loud to say the least. I would say the meal was a failure and if I were Jimmy I would stock trying to be a steakhouse and try something different. Oh the waiter had to mention that Ruth Chris was coming how nice of him poor Jimmy

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
cincinnati
“Food Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

And the service was equal! Each dish was delicious and beautifully presented. Chef very accommodating dealing with a food allergy. Will go back in a heart beat, highly recommend for others to try

• Visited July 2012