“Great carryout choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fusian

Fusian
28 W. Fourth St., Cincinnati, OH (Central Business District)
Website
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Naples, Florida
“Great carryout choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Fresh & well made, but newbies to sushi beware--for the most part you're picking everything that goes in your roll. It's very much like the Chipotle of sushi joints. Cooked protein choices are excellent, but not much on the raw side.

Visited January 2013

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not your average sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you like sushi, or aren't sure if you like sushi, or are scared of sushi, this is the place for you. The staff is super awesome and super frienddly, and know their around their sushi forwards backwards and inside out.

This is basically the chipotle of sushi. You go to the counter, pick your wrap, and then your protein. There's traditional sushi; tuna, salmon, eel, crab. And then theres your cooked "sushi"; steak chicken, shrimp. Then its on to the veggies. and finally sauces and toppings, such as peanuts or tempura crunch.

One roll is plenty to fill you up, I'm normally trying to stuff the last 2 pieces in. It's delicious, and if ou don't like a combo, it's really kind of your own fault. now you know to try something different next time! I've never had a bad roll yet! It's quick easy and fresh. And don't be afraid if you're new, the staff seems to sense it and will help you through each and every step, without being annoyed. And the new space is great! For yourself or even for a group,

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Fast-food style sushi? Who thinks of these things?!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Quick, fresh, build-your-own sushi restaurant with a slightly hip, off-beat foodie vibe. The combinations are enless and the prices are decent. My best experiences have been with spicy tuna and grilled eel rolls, but I have not enjoyed their sides (miso, edamame) as much. Not of the same caliber.

Visited December 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fun, on the go sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is so fun if you're a sushi fan. The concept is kind of a Chipotle for sushi, where you are able to make your own roles. I do advise that you look at the menu before hand or go during non-peak hours (read: not lunch) because it can be a little pressure to try to order off the cuff (despite the fact that I eat sushi weekly, I had a complete brain freeze the first time I ordered). Rolls here are large, typically 8 pieces, so one can satisfy a person. Overall, I highly recommend trying this cute little find before it succumbs to the Tower Place curse and closes.

Visited July 2012
Cincinnati
“Keep Moving Along”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I won't spend much time on the fact that I think the concept of Fusian is ridiculous but I suppose it wasn't going to be forever before someone got the idea of taking the culinary art form of sushi and replicating the Chipotle model. It's unoriginal really.

That said, I'm willing to try anything once. So, on a bright Thursday off I went. The place is nice enough inside, not anything special and not giving any indication that the owners were interested in spending money to make it nice, but clean and plenty of tables for the crowd that was there.

The idea is pretty basic... walk up, create your roll yourself, and someone makes it for you. As long as you know what you want, it's fine. But, just for fun, I took the approach of stating very clearly that I didn't know much about sushi and needed some guidance. I didn't get guidance. What I got, paraphrased, is "we have a lot of stuff... pick what you like and I'm sure you'll like it". No attempt to explain what combinations of ingredients might actually taste good together, no real understanding (as far as I can tell) of what might appeal to a particular pallet, and no clear guidance to help me navigate Fusian-world. I was pretty uninspired as I expected the people making the food to actually be trained on the food and thus be able to offer suggestions.

What I did end up getting was okay and prepared with fresh ingredients. The problem I had was value. My roll had about half as much tuna on it as I get at my favorite local sushi place and yet it was still pretty similarly priced. They were happy to pile on the cheap stuff (vegetables, etc.) but were pretty skimpy with the fish, which was disappointing.

Overall, I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except as perhaps a novelty to do once just to say you went to the local fast food sushi place. Want great sushi? Go to a proper restaurant that prepares sushi using trained staff who know how to put together combinations that will be great.

• Visited August 2012