“Playhouse magic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park

Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park
962 Mount Adams Cir, Cincinnati, OH (Central Business District)
(513) 345-2242
morrow ohio
9 attraction reviews
“Playhouse magic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was the first time I have ever been here and I am coming back. I watched the Book Club and for the period of time I was there the world seemed to stop. I didn't think about anything except the performance I was watching. It was a great way to get away from the stress of every day life, and just relax for a few hours. I am going to watch Shipwrecked. I can't wait to see another excellent performance. I highly recommend this magical little playhouse Cincinnati has to offer.

7 attraction reviews
“Outstanding Theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Overall the performances here are excellent. Every now and then, they miss the mark, but in general they present interesting plays that are very well done.

Visited March 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not the best year but still very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Marx theater does not have a bad seat due to the size of the theater and the slope of the floor. This has been a year of transition, and I expect next year to have an even better set of plays. We haven't always been impressed with the choice of plays, but the staging and lighting and production are always top-notch. We are lucky to have this theater in Cincinnati.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
22 attraction reviews
“I Love this Theatre!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I get season ticket packages for the plays each year and we always enjoy going together. There is not a bad seat in the whole theatre and we also like to have a drink from the bar either before the show or during intermission. You can even take your drink with you to your seat which is nice. There is also a small food station served with a nice variety of things- sandwiches, soups and nice desserts and a coffee cart. You are able to place an order for your coffee drink to have ready for you at intermission. The play season always has a variety of shows which is fun. This year was an adventure, a comedy, a couple of dramas, and a suspense. Some were better than others but all were good. I love having this treasure in our city!

28 attraction reviews
“Wide variety, so just enjoy the show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Artistic Director Blake Robison, like long-time AD Ed Stern before him, picks a pretty wide variety of material for each season. There is always at least one musical, one comedy review, one edgy drama, one classic drama, and one "concept" play. Depending on your theater preferences, this usually means there will be at least one production each season that you love, and at least one that you will hate.

A couple of things stay the same for all productions, however: Great production details and a great space to watch theater, whether it is the thrust stage of the larger Marx theater or the smaller, very intimate, nearly surrounded stage in the Shelterhouse. The big musicals, classic dramas, and complicated scenery-change plays tend to be in the Marx while the edgier stuff tends to be in the Shelterhouse. Several times during each production, most of the primary actors are available for audience questions after the play concludes.

As noted, production details (lighting, scenery, props, staging, etc.) are excellent. This probably reflects some collaboration with UC's nearby College-Conservatory of Music, where musical theater and drama are big programs.

A couple of minor downsides: Some reviewers have commented negatively on the food that is available, and I am not impressed by the food there either - follow another reviewer's suggestion and eat downtown or at one of the Mt. Adams eateries (like Teak Thai), from which you can walk (caveat: it is uphill), before going to Playhouse. The parking is tough as well - we are subscribers and buy a parking pass for the garage next to the building, but if you cannot get in there, may you have good luck because parking will be a challenge. If you are staying in a downtown or Uptown hotel or eating downtown beforehand, I suggest taking a taxi. Cincinnati Art Museum is a short walk away, so if you are seeing a matinee, you could do both and perhaps leave your car, if you are driving, at the museum - don't quote me on that, however, and if you get towed, you didn't hear any such suggestion from me! ... Huh? This is on the Web? Uh-oh.