“Highly recommended to me” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Highly recommended to me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My 24 year old son had been to the Senate several times and raved about the experience so I was excited to go and see it for myself. We arrived for lunch at 1:25 on a Friday and found the long and narrow space filled with diners. We had a short wait but once seated were waited on promptly. They are known for their upscale hotdogs. I tried the Trailer Park Dog which was $10.00 and good. We also ordered duck fat fries ($6) which were not too many. Good thing we did not wait until later in the day to visit the Senate. At about 2:00 they closed and I saw many people turned away and disappointed. The space does not seat that many diners and I was surprised they would turn away business. When I asked about this the server said they needed to clean the restaurant to get ready for the evening business.

Visited December 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I love this trendy rest. I have been here a few times and i will be back every time. I am in town. Good beer and drinks only neg is the cold when the door opens

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Verona, Kentucky
“Limited Vegetarian Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Tried again to get in to Bakersfield across the street and long wait. Senate had immediate seating so my husband and I went for it. He enjoyed the Lindsay Lohan hot dog and we shared some truffle fries. I'm a vegetarian and found few options but went with the chile relleno which required some sriracha sauce to give it the kick it needed. Our service was great, food pretty good, value not great. $40 for a hot dog, fries, relleno, one coke. Wouldn't go out of our way to visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lindsey Lohan was amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I went to Cincinatti for the weekend to visit some friends. We all went to Senate for dinner on Saturday night and sat at the bar to avoid waiting for a table. We had such a great time with the bartender (cute!) and we all had Lindsey Lohan hotdogs (delicious). Next time I visit, that will definitely be the dinner spot of choice.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Worth checking out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Senate is a bit hard to describe. A feature of the menu are the high end hot dogs (I had the Chicago style and it was great). There is an energetic bar scene (more on this in a moment). The building is an old structure with a lot of character right smack in the middle of the restaurant renaissance underway on Vine Street in Over the Rhine. My wife and I sat at the bar as there were no tables available, and as a result we had a bird's eye view of the bartenders preparing some of the most interesting cocktails I've ever seen. The care and preparation of the cocktails was amazing, with some ingredients being added out of small vials via an eye dropper, lemon rinds being flamed and then rubbed all around the inside and outside of the glass in which the drink was being made, different liquids only partially mixing for a very interesting visual effect, and on and on. It was really quite something, and makes me want to go back to try all these interesting concoctions. I actually ordered a beer and regretted it after seeing what I was missing on the cocktail side.

• Visited February 2013