“Emperor's New Clothes?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Senate

Senate
1212 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)
(513) 421-2020
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cincinnati, OH
“Emperor's New Clothes?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

$10 hot dogs, painfully salty chili, grease-laden fries, two-hour waits, and background noise so loud you have to scream at your dinner companions. If that sounds appealing, this is your place.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Los Gatos,Ca
“Amazing food and drink - truly Americana at its best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was passing through Cincinnati on my birthday and a friend gave me a list of restaurants - I chose this because of its awesome menu. It was one of the best food experiences ever. The duck fat fries, the mussels charmoula and the Lindsay Lohan hotdog were all incredible. The Lexington bourbon beer was served in a brandy glass which made this delicious beer (brewed in brandy casks) somehow better. The pretzel beignets served with caramel marscapone was the "icing" on my cake. Indescribably delish. I would go back in a heartbeat and may just do that next year when I am driving by again....

minnetonka. minnesota
“Over the Rhine, Over the Top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We ate here on 10/13/12, our first time in the new and improved Over the Rhine. Great food, terrific service, friendly/urban (but not a one-note hipster atmosphere), it exceeded our expectations. The menu is very unusual (lots of fancy hot dogs), the prices reasonable, and they provide valet parking.
Suggestion: Before or after dinner walk two blocks to Japp's, probably the best bar in Cincinnati. Amazing selection and the owner is a cocktail magician.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“The Senate is quite a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Have been to Senate several times... if there is one drawback it is simply that the place is so small, and a little cramped. However, everything else has always been quite wonderful. The food is always fresh, creative and delicious. The service is attentive for the most part, but not over-bearing and stuffy. And the atmosphere is always warm and inviting. Perhaps best of all is the price of the food. While it is certainly not cheap, I think the food is very well price for the quality that Chef Daniel delivers time after time. I love Senate and will be back many times in the future.

Roodhouse
“Nice evening out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We came to Senate with our son & his girlfriend. Our son works in the OTR neighborhood & wanted us to try the hot dogs. I had a Chicago Dog & it was good but definitely not the best Chicago Dog I've had, that would be @ Hot Doug's, (at where else?) Chicago!. Husband had the Lindsey Lohan, which I jokingly told him when we 1st sat down he had to get so he could say he "ate" Lindsey Lohan. He did enjoy it. We also really enjoyed the pigs tails, which I know sound nasty but really taste like pork BBQ. Our son's girlfriend wouldn't eat them but if I go back that is what I would order. I also had the "my wife's salad" which was good & enough for us to share. We had another appetizer, which was french fries with cheese curds & gravy, it was yummy. We also had the fries w/our dogs & they were good but nothing out of the ordinary. We did have about a 90 min. wait for our table which was right inside the front door so there were always people crowding in/out. I would not want to sit here during cold weather. I do have to say our waiter was superb along with the maitre'd who kept coming to check everything was to our liking. Guess this was an advantage to sitting by the entrance.

• Visited September 2012