“Nice evening out!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Roodhouse
“Nice evening out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We came to Senate with our son & his girlfriend. Our son works in the OTR neighborhood & wanted us to try the hot dogs. I had a Chicago Dog & it was good but definitely not the best Chicago Dog I've had, that would be @ Hot Doug's, (at where else?) Chicago!. Husband had the Lindsey Lohan, which I jokingly told him when we 1st sat down he had to get so he could say he "ate" Lindsey Lohan. He did enjoy it. We also really enjoyed the pigs tails, which I know sound nasty but really taste like pork BBQ. Our son's girlfriend wouldn't eat them but if I go back that is what I would order. I also had the "my wife's salad" which was good & enough for us to share. We had another appetizer, which was french fries with cheese curds & gravy, it was yummy. We also had the fries w/our dogs & they were good but nothing out of the ordinary. We did have about a 90 min. wait for our table which was right inside the front door so there were always people crowding in/out. I would not want to sit here during cold weather. I do have to say our waiter was superb along with the maitre'd who kept coming to check everything was to our liking. Guess this was an advantage to sitting by the entrance.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Missoula, Montana
“The Hotdogs Are Bananas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have a weak spot for hotdogs, bone marrow, and good cocktails. I'm not going to get too specific here, but the dogs were ridiculous, they serve bone marrow (which is hard to screw up), and their sezerac was one of the best I've ever had. My wife used to think my obsession with bone marrow was "gross." After I ordered the bone marrow here with toast I implored her to try the smallest of dabs. When it was all said and done, she was cramming the last piece of toast in the bone to try and get every last little bit of marrow that might be left. And for that, I will forever owe Senate a big thank you. Too bad the foie gras PB&J sandwich wasn't available, otherwise I might have been able to convert her on two fronts. Oh well, yet another reason to go back and eat at a restaurant that is fighting the good fight in Cincinnati.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Cool place, cool people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I came on a weeknight and enjoyed the cool setting, the lively people and the simple menu with a twist. Great area, a bit off the fountain square-Morton's-Jeff Ruby triangle. Just next door & across the street a host of other bars offer the opportunity to continue the evening.

“Senate Burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Awesome burger,duck fries and wine. Well worth a visit. Parking is tight,so be prepared to hunt. Great atmosphere.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Location, Great Vibe, Great Dogs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Senate is located in the OTR area, surrounded by upscale shops and businesses. A public parking lot is RIGHT next to the restaurant, and when I was there at lunchtime, there were a few spots left.

I was greeted at the door by a wonderfully nice hostess, who walked me to my table. The tables are closely packed, but if you need to discuss private matters, it should be fine because it's pretty loud. I was marginally able to hear my friend across from me, but couldn't hear anyone on either side. You are packed in like sardines, but you don't feel claustrophobic, and you feel like you're in your own space.

The Senate is known for it's specialty hot dogs, so of course I ordered a dog. I ordered the dog of the day, the "Adriana Lima" - a beef hot dog topped with bacon, guacamole, goat cheese, and I believe another spicy sauce. I also ordered the Truffle Fries.

Service was impeccable. Your glass was always topped off. The dogs came out in 10-15 minutes, which was great, because it gave some time to catch up with my friend.

Hands down, that was the best hot dog I've ever had. In my life. The truffle fries were spiced and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (I think) - they were wonderful. They were served with some kind of sauce, but we didn't use it...the fries were perfect on their own.

Price? For 2 dogs, 1 fries, 1 cola...$31.00. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I'm so glad I found this place and will go back very soon.

• Visited August 2012