“Take a step back into time with this informative and entertaining tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Queen City Underground Tour

The Queen City Underground Tour
1332 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 41042
+1 859-951-8560
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 59 Activities in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Queen City Underground Tour starts at 1332 Vine St. Enjoy a stroll through the Gateway District, home to America's largest set of historical landmarks. Visit buildings that were home to over 130 saloons, bars and beer gardens, and theaters that hosted iconic entertainers Charlie Chaplin and Wild Bill Hickok. Descend below the city streets to a hidden burial vault and explore newly discovered tunnels vital to Cincinnati's brewery heritage. Approximate tour time 90 minutes
Covington, Kentucky
29 attraction reviews
“Take a step back into time with this informative and entertaining tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Went on the Cincinnati Underground Tour, which is a walking tour of the historic Cincinnati neighborhood called Over-the-Rhine. The names dates back to when the Miami and Erie Canal (now Central Parkway) divided this German neighborhood from the main city. The neighborhood is currently going through a revival. The tour makes stops in front of several historic buildings with storied pasts. You also enter some buildings not open to public, go underground into the old brewery lagering cellars, and enter the crypt of a church. American Legacy tours offers many more tours, and I am excited to take my next one. Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky has such a rich history, I am sure you will find one that interests you

Monroe, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Bosses, Breweries and Burials”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Groupon offered a 1/2 price deal and we decided to take a tour of our home town and did we love it! Takes 2+ hours and you are on your feet the entire time, so you have to wear comfortable shoes and be able to climb steps. Goes underground to learn about the history of the Over the Rhine district, how it got it's name, the people who settled here and their beer, always the beer. Seems it was safer to drink beer than water. The tour guides are very knowledgeable and funny. We are considering taking some of their other tours - Civil War, Ghosts, etc. Highly recommend

Indianapolis
11 attraction reviews
“Intersting Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Tour was interesting. Our guide was fantastic. Very enthusiastic and animated. Although called an underground tour, a majority of the tour is conducted above ground. Not sure it was worth $20, but very interesting!

Cincinnati OH
23 attraction reviews
“Very good tour that could be excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We bought a Groupon for the Queen City Underground Tour because we had been on the Newport Gangster Tour and the Haunted Newport Tour in the past and enjoyed both. Though the Newport Gangster Tour remains our favorite, this one was also very good. We probably would feel the same way if we had paid full price, but with the Groupon you couldn't beat the price.

Our tour group was very large, but our guide Mitch did a great job of talking loudly. He also made sure to stand in the middle of the group rather than at one end or the other. I noticed several senior citizens in our group and we had kids with us, and yet everyone was able to hear and to keep up.

Over-the-Rhine is notorious in Cincinnati, but we felt very safe. We didn't get off the beaten path of the main thoroughfare, though, and I believe that the neighborhood is more dangerous on the side streets. The highlights of the trip included a beautiful (and the original) bier garten room and a fair amount of time in the lagering tunnels underground.

We ended at a Franciscan church, which was beautiful and does important work in the community. However, the priest spoke for too long and it was awkward when he asked for donations. This part of the tour should be cut shorter to allow more time for questions. We had several, but Mitch was running late and left immediately for his next tour. Since we are of German heritage, we were disappointed that we didn't get to ask some questions. The German history was our favorite part of the tour.

Because of the length of time we spent at the church and the inability to ask questions, I have to give the tour a 4 instead of a 5. If you do a tour, wear very comfortable shoes and don't carry a large purse because you'll be squeezing into some tight places (but they are a lot of fun!). And ask questions as you go to make sure you get your money's worth. Otherwise, it's a really enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

Cincinnati
6 attraction reviews
“Ultimate Underground Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I really enjoyed this tour. I know Over-The-Rhine was a bad place to be, and still has some issues, but my friends and I really enjoyed this tour. We went into five buildings that need work. The best was the tunnels underneath a building called the guidehaus.

Our guides were great fun, especially the younger one. We also went to a church called St. Francis seraph. The priest there talked a little long but it was neat to hear the history of the church. I really like seeing the crypts with the irish names on them. i wondered if any of those were our relatives and hope i can go back to see it. The inside of the church was pretty as well.

I learned a lot. This is the third tour I went on with that this company has. I like this tour as much as the others if not the best. I really like their Gangster Tour and would recommend that as well.

As a side note, perhaps one of the nicest things I have had a company do for me was on this tour. We were late but were able to park on the street. We were worried about the meter running out and the owner of the tour watch the meter for us and added more change to the meter!!! When we returned from the tour we were had two more hours to park.

Visited June 2012